When will 134a be phased out?

Barney Eaton

This was mentioned on our local car club site and I finally got around to looking into the answer.

First all Reattas came with R12 A/C refrigerant......so if you buy one that has been stashed away or very low mileage it might still have R12.

most of us have converted to 134a at some point,  but now new cars are starting to be charged with the latest refrigerant....1234.

Like many thing on the internet you can get about any answer you want,  but here is an article written in 2016 when the agreements were signed.

https://refrigeranthq.com/does-r-134a-have-a-phase-out-date/

Bottom line......if you have a Reatta or other collector car that has A/C,  it might not hurt to have some sort of plan for the future.

If you still have some R12 stashed,  you have already been planning.

134a is still quite reasonable,  so buy a few cans and store them in a cool location (that you can find later) 

I am not going into converting a R12 system to 134a but it is pretty straightforward and works well if done correctly.

Just another thing to think about ( especially if you ran out of toilet tissue in the last few weeks)

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

R22 is a home HVAC refrigerant, Reatta came with R12 but mine is now R134A ($4.88 can at Walmart). Is an easy conversion and modern multilubes do not require a full flush unless there was an issue (can tell by looking at the oriface tube).

Going to be a Whole Bunch of used cars hitting the market - Hertz just filed bankruptcy  (could care they mostly have Fords).

14 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

With R12 readily available on sites like FB, CL, etc, why convert them?  I run R12 in all my vintage cars, so much better than 134a.  I bought a case a while back and still pick up a can here and there when I find it. 

I have questioned the necessity for conversion as well. I installed a new compressor, condenser and accumulator last year and had it recharged with R12. Yes, it was $65 or $75 per pound, but before doing the replacement, I had the system evacuated by the same shop, and they gave me credit for the R12 remaining in my system. They will not refill with R12 unless it passes a vacuum check, but that's the way it should be in any system. I am sure there are good and valid reasons for converting, but it certainly isn't a requirement.     

• Like 1