SOLD-Idler Arm 1963-1966 Riviera

Riviera63

I have for sale a used idler arm. Fits 1963-1965 Riviera and 1966 Riviera with manual steering. I was replacing my center link and I decided to replace the idler arm as long as they were doing that. It was checked by my mechanic before it was removed and he said it was still a good, serviceable piece. Check the price of a new one. Offer plus shipping. PM me if interested. Thanks.

Bill 

IMG_5927.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...

That is a deal squeal. I broke the 3/8” 16 hardened steel bolt that holds the idler arm on the frame. The hardened bolt was extracted and a new hole was tapped, twice. Terribly ugly, but I got er done. I do not want to do that again. Great lesson learned. Know your tools before you go hell bent to get the job finished.

Turbinator

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

While I'm glad someone scored a good deal, I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 1966 Riviera with manual steering...  :blink:

I'm with you.  I thought that power steering and power brakes were standard equipment on all Rivieras.  Not even a delete option.  

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

While I'm glad someone scored a good deal, I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 1966 Riviera with manual steering...  :blink:

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

I'm with you.  I thought that power steering and power brakes were standard equipment on all Rivieras.  Not even a delete option.  

I just used what was published on the CARS,Inc. website as a reference.  Ask Glenn or Jeff where they got their info.

Bill

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_350_351&products_id=6423

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I just used what was published on the CARS,Inc. website as a reference.  Ask Glenn or Jeff where they got their info.

According to the 64 and 58-66 parts books, both the Le Sabre and Wildcat were available with manual steering from 64-66 (doesn't say anything about 63).  The 64 Le Sabre is spec'd as using the same Saginaw idler arm for power and manual steering (5678938), while the Wildcat used a different arm for each (PS: 5676376; manual: 5678938).  65 Le Sabre and Wildcat used a different PS arm (5695756). The 63-65 Riviera and Electra used 5676376.  66 used different PS arms (Le Sabre: 5676376; Wildcat, Electra, Riviera: 5697246).

Got all that?

I typed it, and I'm confused.  I didn't even go into the Thompson linkage.  Which, AFAIK, was never used on the Riviera.  Perhaps this will make it clearer:

idler-arms.jpg.fe4a4b148ec2ad22e047543e56b33b65.jpg

As long as the idler arm from a 63 Riviera will fit both a 64 Riviera and a 63 Electra, I'm good all around.

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

FWIW, when I was redoing the front end on the 64, I bought idler arms from Kanter and Cars.  Completely different designs:

P1010328.thumb.JPG.12639a0bbcd207240e317e3d64565f48.JPG

There is an idler arm for our cars (and the others listed) that implements ball bearings, which I was told is superior to the the OEM design, especially when installed on manual steering cars. When I purchased my new idler arm I was presented with both styles for purchase. I had never heard or seen the ball bearing style before that. I decided to stick with the OEM style. The bottom arm looks like the ball bearing arms that I had seen.

Bill