1929 Stearns-Knight Headlight Reflectors and Lenses

pughs

I have been putting my Stearns-Knight J-8-90, which was partly disassembled, back together over the last few months. I have been trying to inventory all of the parts in the boxes that came with the car. I have almost everything (I think) but have found that I am missing the headlight internal parts including the connectors, reflectors, retaining springs, and lenses (in addition to the slide arm bracket listed elsewhere). If anyone has these parts or a pair of headlights, I would certainly like to hear from you.  What I believe are the correct lenses are marked "Tiltray Headlamp Guide, The Guide Motor Lamp Mfg. Co., Cleve, O, Pat Applied For, I.G.C., GL-142, 10 1/8 Dia., Designed For Mazda Lamp 1110". These have diameters of 10 1/8" and prism diameters of 8 31/32" and are Tiltray part no. 234911.  There are "notches" at 90, 180, and 270 degrees. I don't know the part number for the reflectors. These headlights appear to have been used on:

M.P. MOLLER  (1928)
PEERLESS  (1929-30: Model 69)
STEARNS-KNIGHT  (1928-1929: Models H8-90 and J8-90)
( internal parts may be the same as other Stearns-Knight 1926-1928)

Thank you.

Steve

DSC01547.thumb.JPG.0baef4aed6aabe74b531b4847be2cab7.JPG

I have one correct lens but the edges have a few chips. Also have a pair of head lamps similar to the correct one that might have useable parts. The reflectors are about 1/4” smaller than the ones you need.In case you cannot find something better this might work.

DA441A89-ADD5-4E85-BC74-13D605937A7C.jpeg

56A5D999-E379-4D62-9E57-F3CB90CEF345.jpeg

C2B1DBB0-11DB-421A-A16E-C1C03A86D242.jpeg

I bought a pair of NOS lenses on eBay this morning so only need the reflectors. I can probably manage to find connectors and retaining springs fairly easily(I think). I was planning on calling Donald Axlelrod if I didn't find them here on the forum. I have bought stuff from him before. Thank you to all for your help and suggestions. This would be a much more difficult hobby to pursue without all of the community support.

Steve

On 5/23/2020 at 8:28 PM, pughs said:

I bought a pair of NOS lenses on eBay this morning so only need the reflectors. I can probably manage to find connectors and retaining springs fairly easily(I think). I was planning on calling Donald Axlelrod if I didn't find them here on the forum. I have bought stuff from him before. Thank you to all for your help and suggestions. This would be a much more difficult hobby to pursue without all of the community support.

Steve

Steve,

Did you see these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-039-s-1930-039-s-antique-vintage-automobile-headlight-pair-tilt-ray-guide-/383560918707

s-l1600.jpg

I spoke with Donald Axelrod. He has three sets of reflectors that he thinks will fit but they are each slightly different. One has a groove for the gasket while the other two sets are flat where the gasket goes. One set is deeper than the others. Any thoughts about which is most correct?

032.thumb.JPG.7d8881a68004c19c9997138f921aeebe.JPG

033.JPG

Steve, I will take photos tomorrow, per my request, please send email and phone to me by PM. Thanks, Ed

• Like 1

No worries.......didn’t want to pull the reflector.....looked like it may become a project.........if you need it removed let me know.

• Like 1

I got a set of reflectors from Donald Axelrod today. They are not any of the ones that I posted in the pictures above. The pair I received are the correct size (and are from a Studebaker) but the holes and notches are not necessarily in the correct positions to fit as the originals did. However, he sent along some strange shoulder bolts and springs that appear to align everything so that they will work, He also sent all of the necessary sockets, connectors, and springs. I was able to polish the reflectors well enough that I won't need to re-silver them. I spent the afternoon wiring the sockets. As soon as I find some cork strips to make the reflector gaskets from I think I will have a working set of headlights. Thank you to all for your help. It is most appreciated.

Steve

Edited by pughs (see edit history)
  • Like 2