10 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

It is the biggest unit they make and with all the glass that 4 door hardtop has, I will need it.   

At least the white paint will help reflect some of that TX sun...

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Quite an undertaking but being cool is always a pleasure in 100 degree weather. It will be nice tucked up under the dash. 

Understanding that OEM may be hard to come by. Is there an advantage to using an aftermarket system? 

OEM is great when it works. Mine has been off and on for the past few years and it keeps me from enjoying the car when it’s summer. It got to the point where it’s pissed me off for the last time. Too many fixes and yet it keeps breaking with something new.

That is why I putting a replacement unit in. Trying my best to make it so you can’t tell. 

Upgrading to one of the Denso aluminum A-6 look-alike compressors, too?

Sometimes, I wondered what some of those GM/Harrison engineers were thinking when they designed those systems?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Haha 1

Depends on whether you are asking a design engineer or a production engineer.

Actually. the original is a higher performance design in both the evaporator type and the refrigerant specific heat. R134A is about 15% less efficient per pound than R12. Either will give the sensation of being cool on a hot day when they work.

Bernie

So really it just comes down to not having to deal with 60 year old frail or unavailable parts? 

• Like 1

Yes. It is frustrating to get in a car that you have rebuilt everything and it still doesn’t work. My modern underdash unit from Old Air Products has never needed a top off and has always blown cold. I installed it in my 55 wagon over five years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buick5563 said:

Yes. It is frustrating to get in a car that you have rebuilt everything and it still doesn’t work. My modern underdash unit from Old Air Products has never needed a top off and has always blown cold. I installed it in my 55 wagon over five years ago. 

What Mike said. Sorta.  Going on the 4th summer on mine. An under the dash Mark IV, Sanden compressor and VA condenser.  No top up so far.   Mix nd mash?  

Bill will be happy.

Ben

• Like 1

I saw a really slick installation on the Forum showing a modern system installed in a '64 Riviera. Tempting, but after 42 years of owning my '64 with inoperative AC I would just drive a different car on the few hot days we get here. Here at the 43rd latitude four windows down and the vents open does fine.

Hybriding old and new components can result in both predictable and unforeseen problems. It is pretty much all or nothing. Best to go with the full modern system.

Bernie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drhach said:

So really it just comes down to not having to deal with 60 year old frail or unavailable parts? 

That is part of it, but more of it is wanting to be able to take a drive and be comfortable while doing so.

I have spent the last 5 years working on the OeM AC system and I fix one thing and something else breaks.

So, this time when we found multiple leaks and deteriorating plastic I made the decision to go to Vintage Air. 

I had it put in my 64 Riviera (see BerniesPost Above) and it is still working well so that is why its going into the Electra.

• Thanks 1

Bill

sorry to here about the house damage

please keep posting with pics of your progress

i had my 60 apart (no a/c car) for many years and while putting it back had the opportunity to get an a/c system out of a donor car

until i found that i would have to torch out a third of my firewall and weld in from the donor. TO MUCH WORK 

so real interested in how yours works out

is the magnum unit heat and a/c???

Yes, it is heat / defrost / AC.  If you don’t have AC already you will have to cut a hole in the firewall too. 

• Like 1

Cleaning and painting firewall and engine compartment.  With all the crap in the air, not much is getting done as we can’t breathe and grinding and sanding needs to be done. Maybe will have an update this weekend. 
It’s not a hurry as this is not the time I normally drive the car anyway.

• Thanks 1

Of course it is 100 degrees outside when its time to pressure was the engine and under the hood. But no Sahara dust so breathing was easy.

The car is a non runner now so there had to be some work done to get it in and out of the garage. Rob, the mechanic in this project has built a winch set up that works pretty nicely.

And the second picture is the nice and clean engine compartment. 

Today is tape and primer day now that it is back in the AC garage.

IMG_0127.thumb.jpeg.b705abee6367667e782e8a2c2207c2d7.jpeg

IMG_0130.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't anyone push a car anymore? ;) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Doesn't anyone push a car anymore? ;) 

Not when you have a very steep driveway and no kids.  

If you'd get that other project done, you could push it back in. 😛 

If anyone is listening and your OEM system is still tight and working but not all that cold because it never was .... A simple and ergonomic simple solution to consider is installing in series another second condenser and larger receiver/dryer pot if you have a thermal expansion valve. The condenser is easily accessible in front as is the dryer but unfortunately the evaporator is not so work with what's in front of you.   That way you can keep your rebuilt stock seeds n stems compressor with so-so 134A modern coolant and at the same time increase the condensing rate since the condenser works to reduce the temperature and pressure of hot gasses coming from the refrigerant. In addition, the condenser is also responsible for moving the cooled liquid refrigerant to the receiver/dryer or accumulator.  Electric pump driven A/C systems use this approach.  That way one does not have to bring your barge into dry dock and recreate the wheel so to speak with a frankenstein hybrid or a complete makeover or spend deep pocket for an under dash unit .... just another of my $ 10 advice specials ..

To quote Tim Allen. “More Power”

image.thumb.jpeg.0e7e149c87c5912a0959b16bf6c6eb93.jpeg

Now to build a hood scoop 

LOL....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't forget this.

There's one place you ain't getting to again.

Plasma Spark Generator

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

To quote Tim Allen. “More Power”

image.thumb.jpeg.0e7e149c87c5912a0959b16bf6c6eb93.jpeg

Now to build a hood scoop 

LOL....

That will help turn that ac compressor! 😄

13 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

That will help turn that ac compressor! 😄

That's not a Rootes Type Air Conditioning Compressor?

• Haha 1