How to brace the door openings when removing the body?

I was hoping that you folks would be willing to tell me the best way to brace the door openings on my '22 touring car when I remove the body from the frame.

I would appreciate any advice you might have for, hopefully, a simple and elegant way to do it.  Thanks very much

Angle iron in an x brace for each door, and also two or three across the body. List it using 4x4’s up from the frame, do not use an engine hoist or chain fall fall unless you run a lot more braces.

Try the threaded rod method, if you have holes to use run threaded rod through holes and nut and fender washer both sides, if need be when forming an X weld the threaded rods at the intersecting areas , not messing up any body work,,,,,

knobless, I don't think there are any holes to run the rod through.

I would have to destroy some pretty nice paint work if I were to weld in braces or drill holes for rods.

How about this: install the doors and hold them closed with large, soft-jawed pipe clamps.  Wouldn't the doors brace the body OK while I lift it off the frame?

If the body is structurally sound (and I assume it is since it already has final paint), I found picking it up by attaching hooks as shown worked.  I measured the door openings before lifting the body off to be sure they didn't change.   You can see where the front attach points are and in the rear I think I put a heavy duty eye bolt through the body to frame hole at the back corners. P3101015.thumb.JPG.95889576ce6d9df192f1a5ab61dc77d5.JPGP4011020.thumb.JPG.b0a6a8ef86bcc83c933767fc535c3252.JPG

• Like 1

If removing the body from the frame (or placing it back on),  slipping a platform underneath the body would be tricky to say the least.   But if you can raise it enough to allow slipping 2x4's under it at the approximate locations shown, you could attach lifting cables to them.  However, you would need to pull straight up unless you can anchor the 2x4's so they can't slide if pulled on an angle.  You would still need to get creative with your lift rigging as you don't want the lifting straps to rub on the body.  

DSCN3243.JPG

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

Could you remove the door and make small plates to bolt onto the latch bolt holes and the hinge bolt holes, and weld struts between the plates in a Y shape?  I know a Porsche mechanic who made a couple of these to brace Porsche bodies while replacing floors and rocker panels. His were made adjustable with turn buckles to true up a sagged body before welding in new panels.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)