Coach23

Buying a car out of state

37 minutes ago, Coach23 said:

Promoted as completely done, rebuilt 390: etc..

Did the seller share the paperwork on the motor?

Benefits of AACA Membership.

1 hour ago, Coach23 said:

Well, the wheels make me want to gouge my eyes out, but without undercarriage photos I would not buy sight-unseen. The price alone suggests issues that aren't shown in photos and 0 bids at that price isn't reassuring.

There's no shortage of 1964 Galaxie ragtops, maybe there's one closer?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There are a constant barrage of threads like this on every forum I am on & there is NO right or wrong answer! Every man has to make those decisions for themselves.

A few relevant facts...I transport 100+ cars per year all over the country, many are six figure cars. 90% of these buyers NEVER see the car or have it inspected. They see pictures ask the pertinent questions of the seller & decide from there.

Me personally, I have purchased lots of cars. Probably more than 50 just from ebay since it started. I can honestly say I have never driven or flown anywhere specifically to look at one before I bought it.

Now having said all that, If you have been saving for years for that "ONE" car you are going to keep for ever & the money you have saved represents a major part of your life, you may want to go see the car.  Everyone sees things differently. I do custom paint, restorations, fabrications, build my own engines, etc. If something is not quite as described I just fix it. I have bought many that I thought I might just put an engine in or a quick paint job & ended up restoring completely!

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Edited by Bills Auto Works (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Well, the wheels make me want to gouge my eyes out, but without undercarriage photos I would not buy sight-unseen. The price alone suggests issues that aren't shown in photos and 0 bids at that price isn't reassuring.

There's no shortage of 1964 Galaxie ragtops, maybe there's one closer?

20AE7E71-4C7D-40B0-83BE-0CA11A87F873.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Bills Auto Works said:

There are a constant barrage of threads like this on every forum I am on & there is NO right or wrong answer! Every man has to make those decisions for themselves.

A few relevant facts...I transport 100+ cars per year all over the country, many are six figure cars. 90% of these buyers NEVER see the car or have it inspected. They see pictures ask the pertinent questions of the seller & decide from there.

Me personally, I have purchased lots of cars. Probably more than 50 just from ebay since it started. I can honestly say I have never driven or flown anywhere specifically to look at one before I bought it.

Now having say all that, If you have been saving for years for that "ONE" car you are going to keep for ever & the money you have saved represents a major part of your life, you may want to go see the car.  Everyone sees things differently. I do custom paint, restorations, fabrications, build my own engines, etc. If something is not quite as described I just fix it. I have bought many that I thought I might just put an engine in or a quick paint job & ended up restoring completely!

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

530B0B0A-C1EE-4F0B-9022-E4C44E4CF549.jpeg.1f7b75c1e4d1ca9d252d0158afdcc46b.jpeg

3FF3FB93-7D30-4F3E-93EE-2D9660F45389.jpeg

4D922E6A-D36A-43CD-BA17-98CB34FC428C.jpeg

• Like 1

I would want to see pictures of the bottom of the doors, rocker photos and some floor pictures.  Preferably taken from the top but from the bottom might work.  Pay particular attention to the inner rockers.  Also a shot if possible in the trunk of the quarters and trunk floor. 

Other than those wheels nothing glaring terrible yet.  It was a respray without being all apart as you can see by the paint lines under the hood and in the door by the dash.   A couple small pieces of Aluminum trim are banged up.  The one rocker molding has a screw in the front which ruins the molding if it's not original which I don't think it is,  but makes me wonder how the rocker is behind it.  Horn ring and door window cranks, Shifter Knob look a bit pitted.  

The underneath shots don't really show much other than the shocks were replaced at some point since it was built. Brake lines as well.  There is some wear on the cording on the front seat. The dash trim looked pretty good so it wasn't a resurrected field car atleast. 

Love the yellow plug wires. LOL 

Doesn't look like it has had any other work underneath suspension drivetrain etc,  other than the engine rebuild.  

As mentioned without receipts the engine rebuild is hear say. 

I would agree it's not a special buy and they are plentiful.  Why do you like this one in particular?  Are there any better choices or options out there for the money?  All stuff to consider. 

• Like 3

Just want to mention,  I'm not trying to discourage you from this car as we still don't know quite enough yet about it,  I just was wondering why this one over any other 64 currently on the market.  I have half heartedly followed these as somewhere on my bucket list is a 63 or 64 someday.  There seem to be alot of them for sale at the 20 to 25 mark.  I would really like a 4 speed stick car if i buy one with buckets and a console which brings the number available down quite a bit.  Way too many cars and too little funds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7B22D4D5-DE5E-46BE-A448-E9D907E049DD.jpeg

If you can't flair brake line what else do you cut corners on?????????????????

• Like 2

Nothing too special from the others...the brand new motor got me attracted as well. I think I can find a better deal closer 

As has been said there is no correct answer to this question  However in person makes the whole subject "Caveat emptor".

My son bought a Porsche on e bay from California.  He found an inspector on line who specialized in German cars.  He emailed two Porsche dealers in LA and both replied that the inspector he was interested in was reputable.  His inspection was over $300.00 and came with a video and written report.  At the last minute he upped his bid and got the car.  Was sent electronic copies of all the forms, flew to LA, drove the car back to BC and discovered the Government web page ha an error and was missing one document (the one listing the other six that were required).  He stored the car in Bellingham, came home, downloaded the document, listed the other documents on it and went back the following week and drove the car across the border and home.  He drove the car for ten years with minimal repairs and traded it in on a Mustang for almost the same as he had paid for it.

The opposite side of the coin

I was selling a 4 year old Corolla with 60,000 KMs on it.  A young lady looked at it, asked and took it to her Mechanic who was a licensed mechanic operating a licensed business in our town of 7000.  I said if she agreed to buy the car at the agreed price we would take it back to her mechanic and if it needed repairs I would pay for them.  We went back to her mechanic (remember he has qualified and is licensed).  I asked him what tests he dad done to determine that the head gasket was leaking, he said no test just look, it was the rocker arm cover gasket that was leaking not the head gasket, he said well the gasket is on the head.  I asked him to take the inspection cover off and show me the worn out clutch.  He said there was no need all "Jap cars all need new clutches by 40,000 KMs".  I asked him to take the cover off anyway.  He did and proved that the clutch was just like new.  Impossible he said, I said I don't use the clutch to shift, only to start.  The young lady said she would take the car, could I teach her to drive without the clutch.  About two lessons and she was away.. Several months later her husband (married a week) came secretly and asked if I could show him how to drive his truck with the clutch.  A couple of lessons and he was away happy.  Final out come the young couple were happy and the mechanic had lost them and their families business.  The Corolla went another 90,000 KMs and still did not need a clutch.

The moral is ask for information, analyze it and live with your decision.

Good Luck with whatever car you decide to buy.

• Like 1

I bought a car one time sight unseen. But the seller did face-time me with several videos and even videoed several questions I had with the car. Also, the seller agreed to bring the car to me for the price of fuel 1 way . I told him I would put the fuel money into his pay-pal account on the condition the fuel money would be refunded if I bought the car. We both agreed if the car was not as he had described, he would leave with the car only getting the 1 way fuel money. The car was way better than I had thought. I've always been apprehensive of "inspections". Good luck!

Coach - Chevvy engine in a Furd ?

Have sold cars on underside photos before. Of course that picture was eight years ago...

myjeep 006.jpg

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Coach23 said:

What are y’all experiences purchasing a car out of state ? Did you go get it or had it delivered? I am thinking about buying one and have it delivered..I am afraid of what might show up 

I have been hauling cars for (12) years.

I listen to my little voice.

I watch for 🚩.

Most folks are honest and I trust folks until they prove otherwise.

When it comes to buying a car -  who you are dealing with is equally important as the vehicle.

I just completed transport in a trade of two cars between Albuquerque and Cincinnati.

Both parties were great to deal with.

Jim

94D6232D-5B2C-4E92-B5C1-396FA0023F26.jpeg.8b69cb18ee8a612cf778e3bc0abe381b.jpeg

62506455-A883-4054-AA96-B12DFD7936A6.thumb.jpeg.6cbe1453e569ae939b29a9a890c0eed1.jpeg

CD250AC0-9D6F-491F-90DA-1CEA59FF5631.thumb.jpeg.82faea90a9fd65f00a738e9a2210f022.jpeg

38676DF0-DCB1-4B44-8E8E-447777A36238.thumb.jpeg.315c025ff90f3f27750c5737d92f3011.jpeg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

13 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Just want to mention,  I'm not trying to discourage you from this car as we still don't know quite enough yet about it,  I just was wondering why this one over any other 64 currently on the market.  I have half heartedly followed these as somewhere on my bucket list is a 63 or 64 someday.  There seem to be alot of them for sale at the 20 to 25 mark.  I would really like a 4 speed stick car if i buy one with buckets and a console which brings the number available down quite a bit.  Way too many cars and too little funds.

From the underside photos it appears this car was Seafoam Green (turquoise) originally.  Has the 390 but isn't the XL which would get you the buckets and console.

Is that rust in the photo below just left of the tire?  With helper springs, and other ornamentation like the headlight shade thingy's and dual rear antennas, I'd be inclined to visit this one personally before purchasing.  The red paint looks great but so does a tall blond until a conversation leads you to wonder if the IQ is even double digit.  It always seems to be a toss up to me to consider buying a fully restored car or one that is unrestored with all the truth staring you in the face.

image.png.75786e8e848afdc71af8dc26e451e063.png

2 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Most folks are honest and I trust folks until they prove otherwise.

I agree with this.  However,  most people don't know what they don't know.    But then again,  most of the buyer's are not any smarter.

And then there is me,  who flies some where to look at a car I'm lusting over,  easily notice nasty flaws like the 80 year wiring harness,   bad wood in C pillar,  missing unobtainable parts and still buy the car.

Btw,  I don't like the underside pics of the galaxy.  Six shots of the differential cover doesn't really say too much.    There are lots of Galaxies to choose from.

• Like 1

It looks to me like the rear suspension and surroundings are all one shade of flat black, which doesn't seem right to me.  It may indicate rusty painted-over components.

But it's not a rag top.  Not a Ford Either.  Though still cool. 

53 minutes ago, Harold said:

It looks to me like the rear suspension and surroundings are all one shade of flat black, which doesn't seem right to me.  It may indicate rusty painted-over components.

Yes the whole thing has had some sort of black painting done to it.  

I saw the spot in the wheelwell but it looks like some old peeling paint to me causing a shadow, though a closer inspection of that wouldn't hurt.  Also a shot of the bottom of the trunk lid wouldn't hurt.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:59 AM, edinmass said:

99.5 % of professional inspectors "don't know what they are doing" Matt......your way low!

Most inspectors are only trying to do 2 things. Take your money and protect themselves from any liability.

• Like 1

I bought a rare car from across the country from probably the most well known person in the country in regards to that specific car. somebody i'd been friends with (in an online fashion ) for years. what I bought based on pictures, descriptions and multiple written conversations was a completely rust free, nice trim and chrome car that had been sitting in his shop for 10 years( he owns probably 50 of these cars). what arrived was a car with severe rust in floor pans, drivers quarter and a poorly fiberglassed trunk floor. all the interior chrome and pot metal trim was pitted beyond use and the seat springs had rusted away on the inside of the seats due to heavy water leaks which also caused the floor pans to rust from inside out.  I had tons of pictures from seller before buying all of which oddly missed the issues described above. had I seen the car in person before buying I wouldn't have bought it even if it was priced at half what I paid.  unless you know the seller personally and he is beyond reproach I highly recommend not buying a car you haven't looked at in person or had a trusted third party inspect. 

Bob

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for 4 speed GPs with correct 8 lugs even a 65 with a 4bbl but no AC is a killer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

I like this one better for less money.   It has a 4 speed and is more honest to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153941979962

1965-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-1-e1590161645733

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Nice car, but I think I am seeing three different colors on the drivers side.

Four if you count the rear extension.

• Like 1