Why is there no national database in the US that keeps track of antique car sales?

Lebowski

3 hours ago, mike6024 said:

This thread is utterly ridiculous

Why would you feel the need to make this stupid comment and then immediately follow it up with a valid comment on the California VIN lookup tool? A lot of other guys have left intelligent comments here so they obviously don't think it's an "utterly ridiculous" thread.... :wacko:

• Like 2

You sold a car and have no clue as to the buyer's name or address. Then you continue to pay registration for a vehicle you do not have any longer. Then you want the government to keep track of vehicles across state lines to help you out. As if that is a responsibility of the Federal Government. For your information the states have a right to operate independently and enact their own laws. People who want to do business across state lines need to deal with it and figure it out. What does the Constitution say about the responsibility of the Federal Government? Does it say keep track of all vehicles, VINs, and owners nationwide?

The fact is you can look up VIN's of cars registered in California. Just the VIN alone can get you the license plate number, the year, make, and any back registration due, but not the owner's name or address. This may be useful to some people. For purposes of your situation you can ignore it.

Just put the car up on Ebay and have a shill buy it. The guy will show up so fast your head will spin.

Worked for me.

Remember the old car sales rule. No deal is completed until delivery is taken. You only have deposits until that point.

Bernie

Agree think most collector policy insurers do not ask if titled or licensed, just if it is in a locked garage. Believe it is possible to insure a car you do not have.

That said, any time I buy or sell a car I have a pair of Florida BOS forms and we each keep one.  All the DMV cares about is that both the BOS and the title (yes I know there is a BOS form on the back of the title, I use a separate form and they do not care) are properly filled out and signed. For that matter I have a  title for a "parts" car that is not licensed or registered (but I know within about 50 feet of where it is). Frankly the reason I keep a copy of everything is to show a transfer of liability. I am concerned about things like that.

www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82050.pdf

The question of whether you can insure a car you don't own is actually pretty complex. Basically to insure a car that is not in your name is that you must show an insurable interest in the car. If the buyer represents a car as his own that he doesn't hold title to that seems like it could open a whole can of worms in the event of a claim.

To answer the question, there are two primary reasons.
First, privacy. Do you want to be the target of theft because everyone knows you have a rare car with valuable and easy to rob parts off of? Or the constant pestering to sell the car? Or worry about the ones we leave behind being pestered when someone sees our names in the obituaries? Data can be used for more bad things than good IMO.

Second, Most states aren't as stupid as KY it sounds... Here in PA you just stop paying for the tag and problem is solved. I have cars I've never registered, and some I've let lapse. I've sold cars that were registered and never filled out any forms other than signing the title. Down in Ga they won't even give a title for a car over 25 years old. When I've bought cars from other states and brought into PA I just needed them to sign a title and get a VIN rubbing and never had issue getting title. At most it might be good to get the signature motorized, but I never had it asked of me, though it has been awhile.

That doesn't really solve your problem, but those are the reasons that come to mind.

Can say it is possible to insure a car sitting in a Florida garage that has an Italian title, Japanese license, & in someone else's (serving military overseas) name. Just wanted pictures. May help if you have had a policy since the last century.

Irearpass.jpg