Research

lastguard

I am researching a car my grandfather used to own. I have the vin, but no specifics about the car. I would like to know what it was. VIN is 1047526, engine # 1061938, only identified as Buick six. Entry from his journal says it was bought June 14, 1923. Photo is below. Any information would be appreciated.

George Eder & unknown - George's Buick.jpeg

Welcome to our friendly group. How nice that you have those photographs of your grandfather and his car. He looks to be very proud of it, and should be. Really nice. I’ll let the experts take your questions. I’m sure you receive some great information from them. 

Thanks for sharing your early Buick photograph.  These are very hard to come by and that is neat that you still have the engine and serial numbers of a car that your grandfather owned.  The Jaguar cars have a VIN registry and you can find cars that are adjacent to your car numbers.  I do not know if Buick has any such registry.  Many of these cars were registered by VIN and many others by engine number in the early days.  Brian is correct on the year and model.         Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

The factory colors were maroon body, black fenders and black top.  The wheels would have been body color with Chinese red pin stripe on the wheels and on the body. 

I’ve taken a few liberties with mine or should I say the previous owner had. 

Front bumpers were a dealer installed option. 

Attached we are on a week long tour in Tennessee. 

E45E93EC-72E2-43B3-8B91-51009132FF30.jpeg

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Thanks for sharing your early Buick photograph.  These are very hard to come by and that is neat that you still have the engine and serial numbers of a car that your grandfather owned.  The Jaguar cars have a VIN registry and you can find cars that are adjacent to your car numbers.  I do not know if Buick has any such registry.  Many of these cars were registered by VIN and many others by engine number in the early days.  Brian is correct on the year and model.         Hugh

Thanks Hugh.

The purchase was documented in his ledger. He included the plate, engine number and VIN number. Purchase price was $1,350.00. He put $700.00 down, and made payments of $57.49 per month for 1 year. I wish I could have that deal. How would you suggest trying to find if it is still around? I tried a couple of automotive VIN sites, but you need a 17 digit VIN.

5 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Plus Buick run in the family. This is mine.

014.jpg

• Like 1

About the closest you can get to finding the car is to join the BCA and get their roster of members listed cars by year and model.  Then you can make contact with members that have your year model and share your engine and body numbers with them.  It's unlikely that you will find the car, but you  would get to meet some great BCA members in the process.

Bob Engle