1952 Buick Special Hot Rod Motor

I just got a 1952 Buick Special 2 door coupe, and looking to make it into a hot rod. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an engine. I was thinking a 427 or bored out 350. I would like at least 400 hp. What would fit nice? By the way it currently has the original straight 8 with auto trans in it if someone wants to talk trade. Thanks.

I realize you are not building a dragster but how about straight eight like this but with a proper exhaust header?

DSC03170.JPG

DSC03169.JPG

I hope no one took me seriously on my last post. That was a little sarcastic humor. I’m strictly for keeping same brand engines and vehicles, no bastardized cars for me. Punk1235 where are you located? I could possibly use your straight eight. 

8 minutes ago, Rusty Heaps said:

I hope no one took me seriously on my last post. That was a little sarcastic humor. I’m strictly for keeping same brand engines and vehicles, no bastardized cars for me. Punk1235 where are you located? I could possibly use your straight eight. 

He is in N.C. I believe

Ben

Let’s see some pics. I’m just over the hills from you. I’m in Tennessee. Same car. Weather permitting, I’m going to a junkyard near here for parts, mostly smalls. There’s a 2 dr sedan that I’m picking from unfortunately the driver side quarter is gone. I need a driver door and quarter behind the wheel well. Also an engine. I’ll look at the quarter panel for passenger side. Although not fully interchangeable, the lower will work for what you need. There are a couple of ‘51 and ‘53 4 drs that I’m robbing parts from, all Specials. Let me know if you need me to look for anything in particular. A pic of one of the 4 doors

8C2FE9A6-D9FC-4DE4-A106-F63375FBED25.jpeg

Edited by Rusty Heaps (see edit history)

Before my friend bought it from Wayne Ludington, Wayne was filmed at the 2014 Flathead Inline Nationals. You can watch it run on YouTube by searching the event.  You'll be impressed with how the torque of the Buick inline 8 comes on at the end of the run.

• 1 month later...

Go ahead and start throwing rocks but the IS NO BETTER ENGINE than the LS and (current) LT engines. 300k miles easily, 450hp, AND 20 plus mpg. Their butt ugly looks can be cleaned up and still be a cheaper engine than a 400+ hp small or big block. No rough idle and wife can run kids to soccer and leave idle with the a/c going till game is over. Pic of a 6.2 in a 54 3100 that has the coil covers and a metal Holley efi instead of the factory plastic, Not a swan but not an ugly duckling. They are so belly button now that I put a 4 cam Mercury Marauder engine in my 34 Chevy coupe but that means I don't have the BEST engine.

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4838.JPG

• Haha 2