Saw this little bug the other day....

keiser31

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

The bug is a 1965, model 113, 40 HP 1200 cc.  (Or at least it began life that way)

Made for export to the USA.  Thanks for posting the picture.

Sorry to disappoint you but this is a 1964 Deluxe although it's missing it's anodized brightwork trim around the windows.

This body is the same from 1958-1964. In 1965 the front windshield will have a slight curve to it and the beltline will drop to give way to larger windows. Also the vent wings glass and channel will be tilted slightly back from the 58-64 model.

Here is another 64;

IMCDb.org: 1964 Volkswagen 1200 [Typ 1] in "Wheeler Dealers, 2003 ...

Here below is a 65 and notice the windows are all bigger because the beltline has dropped, also notice the vent wing is canted back and the vent wing frame is no longer chrome-it's anodized aluminum instead although the standard model and the 1200Custom vent wing frames are painted body color.

15k-Miles! 1965 Volkswagen Beetle

I see it now.  At first loook I thought the windows were the largerer ones on the 1965 model.  Sorry for the wrong year post, vut glad to find some other VW guys here.

66 VW.jpg

On 5/20/2020 at 10:20 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

I see it now.  At first loook I thought the windows were the largerer ones on the 1965 model.  Sorry for the wrong year post, vut glad to find some other VW guys here.

66 VW.jpg

Paul, A interesting fact; up until the end of the 1967 model Mexican and Brazilian beetles used the 1958-1964 Body. 

While livnig in Heidelberg Germany in 1969/1970, I bought a "1964 VW", that was a 1958 VW Body in a 1964 floor pan chassis. 

They had changed all the lights to the 1964 style, but left the turn signal in the door posts.  The Americans called them "Mox-Nix

Sticks".  I filled them in with bondo so the car then looked like a 1964.  I was there for my Junior year of Collage and we drove

that thing all over Europe.  Bought for $400 and sold it for $400 when we left.   L to R, Mother in Law, Niece, Nephew, Wife.   

I've had one wife, but 10 VW's.

5864VW.thumb.jpg.86b278c19ca51fc89422ddab4fa01f98.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
the picture blocked the text. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

While livnig in Heidelberg Germany in 1969/1970, I bought a "1964 VW", that was a 1958 VW Body in a 1964 floor pan chassis. 

They had changed all the lights to the 1964 style, but left the turn signal in the door posts.  The Americans called them "Mox-Nix

Sticks".  I filled them in with bondo so the car then looked like a 1964.  I was there for my Junior year of Collage and we drove

that thing all over Europe.  Bought for $400 and sold it for $400 when we left.   L to R, Mother in Law, Niece, Nephew, Wife.   

I've had one wife, but 10 VW's.

5864VW.thumb.jpg.86b278c19ca51fc89422ddab4fa01f98.jpg

Interesting, Cars today of same year and condition, but of the Euro spec. with semaphores "B" pillar mounting are more desirable. And you removed them and filled in the space. 

22 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Semaphores would not be correct for a 1964 car, as it was registered.

Yes, semaphores were done after 1955 here and 1960 for Europe, however some swear they've seen 63's with them. It's interesting that "today" those cars with semaphores in Europe coming over here are worth more and are allowed these days here. Do you remember in the 50's and early 60's where hot rodders lowered their cars and then the police got rules and measured the cars for legality? Those laws are still on the books, but cops never do any measuring today. Do you also remember the bumper and bumper height requirement? They don't enforce that anymore either. The bumper over rider was a requirement on the VW beetle in the U.S. and now you can get by with a Euro bumper blade only and no one says anything, along with the red only turn signal lamps while the Euro cars had a amber section of the lens. Now you can run either in the states.

I wonder since VW built cars in other parts of Europe and the world if semaphores might have been used.

Lets see, VW Beetle cars built "outside" of Germany...……...Belgium, Ireland, Portugal, Yugoslavia, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Costa Rica, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand.      

• Like 1

Also while stationed in Germany in the mid 60's I had a oval window 1957 VW bug.  it was an export model and had no Semaphores.

Best buy ever!  I was in the squadron orderly room when an airman came in with his title ro turn in.  He had taken his wife on a tourist drive around Germany prior to sending her back to the states. when he blew the engine in the bug while 100 miles from our base.  I gave him $1.00 for the title and the location of the car.  I bought a VW engine for $30.00 and paid a guy $15,00 to haul me and the engine to the car.  We got the car out of the impound lot and changed engine in a ditch beside the road and then drove ot back to our base.  I was able to use the car after Iwe shipped our Porsche home and sold the VW for $175.00 on the way to the airport when I left. 

300467081_57VW.thumb.jpg.a7a6a010c980643dde301c3a31bad3d6.jpg

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Also while stationed in Germany in the mid 60's I had a oval window 1957 VW bug.  it was an export model and had no Semaphores.

Best buy ever!  I was in the squadron orderly room when an airman came in with his title ro turn in.  He had taken his wife on a tourist drive around Germany prior to sending her back to the states. when he blew the engine in the bug while 100 miles from our base.  I gave him $1.00 for the title and the location of the car.  I bought a VW engine for $30.00 and paid a guy $15,00 to haul me and the engine to the car.  We got the car out of the impound lot and changed engine in a ditch beside the road and then drove ot back to our base.  I was able to use the car after Iwe shipped our Porsche home and sold the VW for $175.00 on the way to the airport when I left. 

300467081_57VW.thumb.jpg.a7a6a010c980643dde301c3a31bad3d6.jpg

The VW in the picture looks like it has or had semaphores. 

13 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

The VW in the picture looks like it has or had semaphores. 

The '57 Beetle I had in the 1970s was equipped with lamp type turn signal but the factory filling material covering the semaphore locations had aged differently than the rest of the car around it and so you could see where semaphores could have been installed (and maybe were if built for a different market than the US).

Looks like semaphores would have been legal in California in 1957 but not in 1958. I think that was before the Feds started standardizing things, so it would not surprise me if various states rolled out similar laws around that same time and VW was going with what was legal throughout the US or they knew would be legal in all 48 within a year or so.