I've made an error that makes me physically ill...

gwells

gwells,

You are hereby absolved of any guilt. Anyone can make a mistake, even if it is a doozy.

However....

For your penance, you must:

1. Buy a 1964 Rambler American (four door, 232-6 cylinder, three-on-the-tree).
  2. Ask a lot of questions about the car in the AACA Classics sub-forum.
  3. Get edinmass to perform a tune-up on your classic.

All kidding aside, I feel your pain. Don't give it a second thought. We've all done worse. Like the time I was testing a Department of Defense satellite channel and accidently an Emergency Action Message (EAM - very serious situation) to NATO Brussels.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a special kind of euphoria that only getting bailed out of a computer mess can bring about. My kids have blessed me this way more than once. I'm glad others have had the same experience, and I'm glad everything worked out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Depends on how bad you want the data, doesn't it?  Don't tell me you have forgotten ancient times before data storage? When everything was on paper. 

My memory only goes as far back as punch cards. That was our data storage medium at Ga Tech in the early '70s.

But... "The last year the Encyclopaedia Britannica was printed was 2010. That final edition consists of 32 volumes, weighs nearly 130 pounds, and contains approximately 50 million words and 300 million characters. It requires roughly one gigabyte (GB) of disk space to store the entire text of that final volume."

I'll let you do the math for 100 GB of data.