What Tool?

29 Chandler

I want to say I've seen some that were supplied in the car's tool kit.  Not sure there was a generic common tool as there are a lot of variations of those caps.  I've found the easy way to go about it with that particular style is to get a piece of well-fitting keystock, lay it across both slots, and tap with a dead blow hammer.  The slots look nice and square so it shouldn't booger it up if you strike it correctly.

You don't specify what the dimensions of the cap's are, but if you go to the McMaster-Carr website search "spanner wrenches" (for example 5471A11 or 6975A14) one is adjustable the other isn't. As you can see they come in a variety of sizes and probably came with the car when it was new.

You could also get creative and find an old 1/2" drive socket, about the size of the cap and grind away everything except the four lugs.

• Like 1

They are called "valve cages".  Lots of discussion on the pre war Buick page.  Do a search.  Here is one example.  

8 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

They are called "valve cages".  Lots of discussion on the pre war Buick page.  Do a search.  Here is one example.  

In a case like this it's not a valve cage when the valves are en bloc.  It's just a plug.

As previously stated, any flat stock that fits well will do the job. I have never had an issue getting one off (a tire iron works great) but have put some work into getting them tightened enough to not leak... this is where a proper fitting piece of stock really helps.  Most are designed for a crush gasket that you won’t have new of, some are just iron on iron. 

Olson's Gaskets is your best bet for the crush gaskets.  They are good about hoarding up old stock where they can get them as most sizes are not available new  I think you could go with annealed solid copper if it came down to it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W_Higgins said:

Olson's Gaskets is your best bet for the crush gaskets.  They are good about hoarding up old stock where they can get them as most sizes are not available new  I think you could go with annealed solid copper if it came down to it. 

Interesting I did not know there was supposed to be a gasket there, more research to do.

Incidentilaly the engine I am working on is a Chandler and Williams made the wrenches that Chandler recommended to its customers. I am looking at buying a Williams #471 adjustable spanner wrench (3/4" to 2") as the diameter is 2". 

Leaving Maine 2 years ago I had a wrench for one of those cages that I think went to a friends shop. He kept telling me it was a bung wrench but I am pretty sure it was for your style cages. I will try to get ahold of him to see if he can find it...

1 hour ago, W_Higgins said:

Thanks email sent to Olson's for the crush gaskets which my parts manual says I need 12 of.