scottlaffin

1954 Buick Special Frame Swap

I have a 1954 Buick Special 2 Door Hard Top and am planning on doing a frame swap with my 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood. So, I will have lots of parts for sale. The four barrel intake well the entire motor, Chassis, Trans rebuilt kit, torque tube rebuilt kit,  ect. But I could use some advice because it appears to be a big undertaking. Thanks, Scott

My advise is DON"T!!!!!!!! unless you have deep pockets, serious skills and a couple of years worth of spare time

• Thanks 1

Didn't we have this conversation once before?

18 hours ago, scottlaffin said:

I have a 1954 Buick Special 2 Door Hard Top and am planning on doing a frame swap with my 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood. So, I will have lots of parts for sale. The four barrel intake well the entire motor, Chassis, Trans rebuilt kit, torque tube rebuilt kit,  ect. But I could use some advice because it appears to be a big undertaking. Thanks, Scott

Suggest moving this as you scroll down there is a section devoted to this activity, Modified Buick, very helpful!

• Like 1

Remember that there is nothing that TIME & MONEY can not conquer.

Feel free to cut and paste this for your upcoming C/L ad.

"For Sell 1954 Buick street rod project car. 93 Cadillac drive line and chassis. Does not run but all the hard work is done, Bring a trailer, I might help load. $100.00 OBO trades considered"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

When contemplating modifications of this sort I always begin with what part of the existing vehicle is unsuited to modern use. Rarely is the frame itself the problem but people see a frame swap as the quick and easy road to what they want. 

But it is a ton of work ! Nothing will be in the right palace with regards to the old frame. If you can afford a properly built replacement frame using newer susp. , braking , and steering components like those sold by Morrison and others then perhaps 

you will get what you are looking for. But otherwise , in my opinion you should adapt sub components to your existing frame and body with as little modification to the body as possible. And do it one step at a time. One year put in something like a Ford 9 ", and get the car driving and use it.

the next year adapt the front suspension and brake master. Get it running and drive it. Finally adapt a decent rack and pinion, and drive it. 

As others have mentioned a complete frame swap is a major undertaking and often does not see the road again.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Crown Vic front subframes are getting pretty popular and the wheelbase will keep the Ackerman principle close.

03 and up crown vic crossmember swap

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I did a 38 Buick on to a 88 Caddy frame.

The frame was too wide so I welded in 6X2x1/8" tube inside of the rails and then removed the original rails.

The wheel base was within 1" so I split the diff in the front and rear.

The body, of course, needed a lot of modification, especially at the rear cross member.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

There are so many choices of front and rear subframes in all configurations since the mid 1960's one should be able to adapt the suspension to an early vehicle with a minimum of fabrication.

I have had my '64 Riviera deeply apart a few times and every time the rear frame kickup gets exposed I think how closely it matches the the shape of a Jaguar IRS cage. Six brackets would probably get one it.

The rear subframes of the Mark VIII Lincoln and similar T-Bird look tempting for other swaps as well.

I have seen a lot of the early Camaro subframe jobs go right into the sewer when to came to to put the front sheet metal back on. In '85 Camaro went to the bridge style front crossmember common today. At the time of replacing the engine in my '86 Electra convertible I contemplated converting to a longitudinal V8 with RWD using a Camaro subframe and Jaguar IRS. I bought the car in 2011 and decided to rebuild it stock, been driving it since 2014. If I had gone the other way it would be in the back of my garage like that jigsaw puzzle my sister has in my nephews old bedroom.

Sometimes it is best to keep the dreams in dream form. Reality has a way of just messing everything up.

I cannot believe some of the BS that I see every day on line. On many of the sites that I frequent OT crap like this ill conceived future disaster would have been deleted by the moderators in a heart beat. A frame swap thread will last one nano second on the HAMB, for instance. C'mon guys, lets stick to the focus of the

ACCA

If I had that 54 Buick the only things I would change would be a 64 TH 400  if it would bolt up and a 54 to 56 Olds rear end and springs to get rid of that torque tube or something easier,now if it had a manual trans nothing would be changed. Never cared much for a Dynaflow.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:07 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

I think that this guy must be just trying to pull our, collective, chain! Notice he hasn't been back since Saturday.

I'm afraid that you guys missed that his name is "scottlaffin"  (Scott Laughing)!

I saw the name and thought he was in the northern UK with some Finish heritage.

I had an employee once who was first generation US born. His family was from Finland. I said he was in charge of Finnish work.

My next door neighbor was proud to be a Czech, but delighted in telling all that he was a finish (Finish) carpenter.