1937hd45

Model K Ford Question

gwells - There have been several articles by Rob Heyen.  There was an article about his car in Antique Automobile.  There was one a year or so ago in Model T Times, the magazine of the Model T Ford Club International, specifically about the three Model Ks that toured together on the HCCA's BBC tour in Pennsylvania.  And Rob has posted original research about Ks for a couple of years on the Model T Ford Club of America web site.  These are especially interesting, because he shows where Ford's profits came from (mostly from the K), and refutes the old story that Malcomson, one of Ford's financiers, had forced Henry to build the K against his will (Malcomson was gone from the company by the time the K appeared).  He also tracks down newspaper articles from back in the day, describing trips the owners took in Ks.  They make fascinating reading for anyone who'd like to learn more about these potent cars.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Antique Automobile had a great K feature 3 issues back with the red roadster on the cover. Tim Kelley lived two towns over and he really enjoyed the cars he had, I think the K was his favorite non Model A.

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, Are you meaning the 1903/'04 model A? I know he had and drove a beautiful one of those quite a lot also. I think it was about a year before he passed that he shipped his '03 over to England for the London to Brighton Run. I honestly do not know if he had "modern" model A Fords or not? He was very into the early Fords.

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Bob, Are you meaning the 1903/'04 model A? I know he had and drove a beautiful one of those quite a lot also. I think it was about a year before he passed that he shipped his '03 over to England for the London to Brighton Run. I honestly do not know if he had "modern" model A Fords or not? He was very into the early Fords.

Glad you picked that up. Yes he did have a two cylinder A and did the London to Brighton, think it was a 1904. Someone will confirm he had a four cylinder Model B that came out of Pennsylvania as well. Long before the Model K Tim was into rare bodied Model A Fords 1928-31 Town Cars and Town Car Deliveries, Deluxe Pickup trucks both A & AA. Really nice guy that we lost far too soon. Bob 

It may have been an '04. I saw a bunch of pictures of it a few years ago, including some really nice detail closeups. It was beautiful!

So how many model Ks are known to survive?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, AHa said:

Only one that I know of in Canada that is a blue 08 touring owned now by Hugo Vermeulen. I believe it was previously owned by the fellow of the red roadster mentioned earlier. Hugo also has the Model N 6cyl he brought back from Australia last year attending the HCCA tour there.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Here is a picture of Tim Kelly and his restorer, Walter Higgins, in Tim's 1904 Model AC Ford on a one-and two-cylinder tour in NJ.IMG_1801.jpg.8d45cab5afb783290e7676b580f4c522.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AHa said:

I was told by the group of Model K guys at that 2018 NL to NB tour that there are 23 Model Ks known. FWIW.

• Thanks 1

Here are Tim Kelly's K and AC, shown together at the BBC tour about three years ago.IMG_2171-1.JPG.1c7055e0117c783b616f41d433518a01.JPG

Where is the other Harrah K? Think Bill Lasiter had it in Florida for a while. Bob 

Front frame horns ?

Let's just call it an optical delusion.

Mike in Colorado

• Haha 1