55 Buick special rear brake shoes

Nailhead 55

That is a tough question.  6 years difference and who knows for certain? But here are two things to consider. 

4 years ago I was able to buy new brake shoes for my '56 over the counter at both NAPA and Advance Auto. Each store sold them for $21.00 per set.they fit fine but if there had  been a problem, a return was easy. Both sets were made in China.

The only problem with them was that on the first time used, it seemed like they would not stop the car.  After a break in period they work good.  It may be that the material is too hard and braking would be better if the shoes had been re-lined. That would have cost $65 per set at that time and been a real delay for me as there was no local company providing that service. But this does raise the question about what material is used on those $55 shoes you found. 

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Rockauto carries Wagner rear shoes for a 1955. $24.99. 

But that is not the 1.75 inch shoes for the rear on a Special.

Those referenced shoes would probably fit.  They are bonded shoes which are okay if new production, but if very old they cannot be trusted.  And hey, it is brakes we are talking about!  The best you can do is take the old shoes to be relined with aggressive material that will stop 2 tons on Buick.  It will be more expensive, but will probably be the last set you put on the car.

• Like 2

The magic question is:. Do you care about your car ???? Or is this a quick fix to just get rid of it ?????

The new garbage braking surface of today's Chineseum will rip these brake drums to smithereens....  As they grip and grab, and rip and shred, they tear up the brake drums.

If you are dumping this car -- then throw in the garbage, you don't care.

With that garbage, you WILL DESTROY Very Expensive Brake Drums !!!!!

If you care about your car, then you MUST USE +++ Asbestos +++ Brake Shoes , which is the softest, nicest, smoooooothest braking system known to mankind..... You will not and can not find that on the computer / internet....

I have some however, but not for $ 7.99 a set..... They are $ 95 / a set plus shipping or FREE pick up.... A set does Front or Rear (4 shoes) and your car uses the same brake shoes Front & Rear......

If you are keeping your car, and want the ONLY brake shoes ---- that will effectively stop this car ---

+++ CRITICAL +++ that your car MUST use +++ Asbestos +++

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York...

CRITICAL 

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)

Well the front and rear brake shoes are most definitely not the same size. I ordered the ones off rockauto and they will work for the front but not the rear. I think I will order these and just see if they work if they do I will let everybody know thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

Asbestos has not been used in brake shoes for 25 years.  ANY brake shoe that old is junk.  Brake shoes and pads perish on the shelf just like hoses, belts and seals.  And if you find NOS shoes for a 1950's car...run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I serve STEAK for the guys who want quality parts for their cars...

There are plenty of people who can't afford the quality, and that is

what McDonald's is for... (Of course, your car won't function as properly as if you had spent for Quality.....)

Then, of course, the funny face crowd are  " spit and bubblegum " fixers --

And some of them undoubtedly can't afford the bubblegum !!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Boy, it’s getting deep over here! And I just tuned in for a little know how on brakes before I purchase shoes for my ‘52 Special. PS not my first rodeo on brakes. I’m a firm believer in installing a completely new system from master cylinder back on any older car that hasn’t been serviced in decades. What’s your life worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 1:52 PM, Nailhead 55 said:

Well the front and rear brake shoes are most definitely not the same size. I ordered the ones off rockauto and they will work for the front but not the rear. I think I will order these and just see if they work if they do I will let everybody know thanks for the replies.

Hopefully you found some shoes to work on your Special.  If the drums are not serviceable, now is the time to consider upgrading to the 2.25 inch brakes from the rear  of any 55 other than the Special ( and other years before 56 that used 2.25 inch shoes.  You will need serviceable drums and the backing plates along with shoes to make the change.  This will require removing the axle shafts, buy hey it is probably past time to change the seals, inspect and service the axle bearings anyhow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2020 at 2:08 PM, Rusty Heaps said:

Boy, it’s getting deep over here! And I just tuned in for a little know how on brakes before I purchase shoes for my ‘52 Special. PS not my first rodeo on brakes. I’m a firm believer in installing a completely new system from master cylinder back on any older car that hasn’t been serviced in decades. What’s your life worth.

You are prolley aware that asbestos in a 'formed' solid chunk like new, unused brake linnings is harmless, but as they are used they give off dust, that form is called "fryable", (sp?) Anyway, after ten years of having that info drilled in at safety meetings at The power plant I worked at and seeing the ambulance chasers hawking representation for meseltheliaoma,(sp?) Draw your own conclusions. What do you do to protect yourself during first adjustment/inspection? Hazmat suit and supplied good air? Brake and Equipment wharehouse was quick to remind me, Dont even bring those old nos shoes in the door! Just some dumb old science, so Im told...

• Thanks 1

There is so little Asbestos in there, it is not worth worrying about .... Worry a lot more about coronavirus and car accidents.... Seriously...

It is not like it is an entire school lined with it -- with 40 - 65 pound kiddies in it....

And once the nicest, softest, smoooooothest braking surface known to mankind is installed, in the G M world, in the Ford World, in the Mopar World, etc., etc. -- you have nice smoooooth braking -- not ripping up brake drums -- and you are not going to send a tube down into it and snort it !!!!!

N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ can --- not --- be duplicated, for braking... That is the reality... They have tried repeatedly.... And that is the ultimate compliment.

17 hours ago, mobileparts said:

There is so little Asbestos in there, it is not worth worrying about .... Worry a lot more about coronavirus and car accidents.... Seriously...

It is not like it is an entire school lined with it -- with 40 - 65 pound kiddies in it....

And once the nicest, softest, smoooooothest braking surface known to mankind is installed, in the G M world, in the Ford World, in the Mopar World, etc., etc. -- you have nice smoooooth braking -- not ripping up brake drums -- and you are not going to send a tube down into it and snort it !!!!!

N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ can --- not --- be duplicated, for braking... That is the reality... They have tried repeatedly.... And that is the ultimate compliment.

I love that 'deny' strategy! It works at the highest levels! Money more important than health. Where have ya heard that b4! Dont worry you wont get sick for prolley 25 years! Whats the safe amount of exposure to asbestos dust? Oh yeah, none! Those perfect working drums should always be 'arched'/ground/sanded to fit the drums. No exposure is the only safe exposure. Whats that line in the media when they catch him lying daily? Your entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

• Thanks 1