Early 1920s Citroen 5 CVs

Bon jour!

I had my first 1924 Citroen 5CV around 60 years ago, for some time it served as my "Daily Drive". Since then I have had two others and would be interested in buying another as a "Restoration Project".  Attached are two photographs one of my last 5CV and another of a stunning little car taken some years ago in France at the Mont L'Herry Historic Race week-end, just South of Paris..  

1814437508_Anna5CV.jpeg.2d89bc47165fe95e07bf0a42b2ae50d8.jpeg

43572739_5CV.jpeg.9cdc8c88a1c2a6f6c7397c06c83c4036.jpeg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am restoring a 1924 Citroen 5HP Cabriolet. There is a very good French Forum on the subject on which one can use a translator like Google Translator or Deepl.com. Like the Ford T, these cars were kept going with all kinds of edgy repairs. It is more difficult to repair one in the U.S. since there are so few parts and owners here.  

Phil

As you say they hold a similar status in France as the Model T in the USA although there has never been a New Spares Industry for 5CV's in France as is seen in the USA. They were/are "bullet proof" little cars that continue to reward their enthusiastic owners. I am only sorry that I no longer own one.

I would love to hear of a local (Australian) basket 5CV available at a reasonable price. They are so rewarding to work on and drive.  More especially the early, short chassis,  cars.  Over a period of more than 50 years I have been lucky enough to have owned and restored three. As  a compulsive restorer I tend to pass on restored cars to new enthusiastic owners. I do not believe in hoarding away out of sight "collections of interesting cars". It is my belief that in many cases placing cars into so called "Collections" is signing their death warrant. Just driving around "out-back" Australia you can see any number of these "collections" rusting away, standing outside in all weather.  Many of these "collections" just slowly sink into their graves.

By contrast here are three 5CVs that I have owned in the past including one "as found"photograph. If there is another or a similar "basket case' somewhere preferably not too far from Melbourne I could be very interested in acquiring it.  Send me a P.M or email:- twooldlags@gmail .com   I

n case you would like to know, the third 5CV (with my daughter driving) was the "basket case" shown..... 

The first car shown with out it's "top" was my introduction to 5CV's It was my "daily drive" for some months, a long time ago!

Bj.

166873662_Citroen3.jpeg.ee4bdbc589f46c4f76ce07e8f0cee53a.jpeg1136073755_Citroen2.jpeg.8e7312591cb646cd1b49cb6aa3b75aff.jpeg180804688_Anna5CV.jpeg.71dd18824af7cd6b10055e763f5dc64d.jpeg1028573217_Citroen52.jpeg.4ac519acc772b34ce790dc86f2dd97e2.jpeg

I have no experience with the Swiss firm "Polyparts and being so remote, living in Australia, I have had mixed results dealing with Depanoto.

Naturally it is better if you can correspond them in French but I have found that they are inclined not to bother with requests in English. I have fared better when buying their (new) reproduction parts. Fortunately I have now sold my last French car so I no longer have this problem.

Bernie j.

Hi Dr Data

Thank you for all your interest. Right now I am waiting for the person buying the Renault Monastella to complete the purchase and arrange the collection of the car. Once It has gone I can think seriously about what I hope may be my last stalled project recovery. This is the Lagonda 3 Litre "Special" I started to construct some time between 15 & 20 years ago. Since I sold it unfinished I understand that it has not progressed at all but has been locked up in a garage about 20 to 25 kms across town. I believe that while a "Bitza" it deserves to be finished. It was already "well on the way" when I sold it and being  based around a 3 Litre Lagonda engine and gearbox it should have a lot of potential and deserves to be finished. Having said that it really needs someone as mad as me to finish it. I certainly do not need to be starting on any more French cars or anything else for that matter. 

I just need to finish this car, that is if it can be arranged for me to buy it back. My first task is to actually locate the car and its present owner and to talk to them.

Once the Renault is finaly gone, later this month (November) I can really start to concentrate on this. It may just take a little time.

Bernie j.