Air shocks

arnulfo de l.a.

Anybody have them in their first gen riv? If yes what brand? I'm considering them because I have a steep edge going into my driveway  that my car scrapes on. I know long ago you could get them with a little compressor that you mounted in the trunk. That's what I would go with. Don't want to do air bags and for sure no hydraulics. Any insight appreciated.

I used to have dealer installed ACDelco air shocks on my 63.  The previous owner towed an Airstream with it.  They worked fine but required opening the trunk to access the Shrader valve.  I had a few of the 79-85 Rivieras which used air shicks to control ride height.  On one 83, the "thing" that determined ride height broke. I couldnt find another "thing" so i ran a manual switch to the on board compressor.  A flip of the switch and the shocks would inflate. Probably would work for you, but I had no way of deflating them.  

Years ago I installed air bags inside the coil springs when I was towing. Along with an air compressor mounted in back out of sight. Much easier to install & I would say no drawbacks.   Was on the car for 30+ years.   Same thing about" ED talked about at the flip of a switch.

I recall my Grandfather had the same problem.  He installed a heavy-duty caster under the center of the rear bumper.  The caster would contact the driveway and prevent the bumper and tailpipe from scraping the driveway.  It worked in both directions and wasn't visible unless you looked under the bumper.  Maybe you could find a spot on the bumper, brackets, or frame to do something similar...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

I recall my Grandfather had the same problem.  He installed a heavy-duty caster under the center of the rear bumper.  The caster would contact the driveway and prevent the bumper and tailpipe from scraping the driveway.  It worked in both directions and wasn't visible unless you looked under the bumper.  Maybe you could find a spot on the bumper, brackets, or frame to do something similar...

You need to publish this idea in some 'towed RV' magazine.  We frequent a lot of state parks in Arkansas. Access to a lot of these parks means negotiating a series of switchbacks to get to the summit.  There are gouges in every switch back left by some guy's trailer hitch as he attempted to negotiate the turns.

7 hours ago, telriv said:

Years ago I installed air bags inside the coil springs when I was towing. Along with an air compressor mounted in back out of sight. Much easier to install & I would say no drawbacks.   Was on the car for 30+ years.   Same thing about" ED talked about at the flip of a switch.

Did they go inside the coil springs any cutting involved? Don't want to cut my original coil springs .

6 hours ago, EmTee said:

Great idea! But won't work for me. My car scrapes on the frame between the rear axel and transmission

6 hours ago, johnrex said:

I use Kanter's air shocks on my '64. Mounted the Schrader valve below the bumper. They are great when you have a heavy load in the trunk. Not automatic but manageable.

Thanks for that info Johnrex. It seems none of the manufacturers that used to make them for our gen rivis no longer do.( MONROE,GABRIEL,ACDELCO). Going to give KANTER a call Monday. Hoping I can use the 2nd gen AIRLIFT  compressor with them. It's a digital controller . Eliminates the analog air pressure gauge . Thanks for all the help men!

They install between the coil spring very easily as they are completely compressed in the shipping box.  They fit inside the coil then you apply some air to inflate them..  There is NO CUTTING other than installing the the plastic tubing to be able to inflate or compress.

Once you figure out what you want to do & execute a plan it will probably take less than an hour to install.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, telriv said:

They install between the coil spring very easily as they are completely compressed in the shipping box.  They fit inside the coil then you apply some air to inflate them..  There is NO CUTTING other than installing the the plastic tubing to be able to inflate or compress.

Once you figure out what you want to do & execute a plan it will probably take less than an hour to install.

That sounds better than air shocks and more durable . Going to look into them. Thank you for the info!

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 8:20 AM, EmTee said:

That is a good idea. I love solutions like what your Grandfather came up with the caster.

Turbinator

My Roadmaster wagon has a hitch on it that would drag backing out of certain drives, never going in. I've learned to back out at an angle - like when I pulled in. No casters, no jack hammers - just good old common sense.

I too come in at an angle to minimize the scraping but still get some. Ordered air shocks today from A1 SHOCK ABSORBER CO. $225 for the pair plus shipping . 5 year warranty. Was going to go with KANTER which are $209 a pair  and lifetime  limited warranty but the person I spoke to was not very receptive to my questions, not customer friendly acted like I was asking  for a hand out. I don't do business with people like that. Will update once I install them

Hi All,

What I did on my 1947 Chevy Fleetmaster Woodie wagon was to take the extended length and the compressed length and go on ebay looking for guys selling the smaller style air shock (NOT Highjacker) and get their spec's (ext & comp length) and go from there.  I did find a pair that fit with no problem.  I don't think a Highjacker air shock will fit, because of the larger diameter body that that covers the inflating bag.   I will be doing this same thing for my 64 even though I already have them on the rear.  The previous owner had modified the lower mount of the shock to fit the Riviera lower mount, which I don't really like how it looks.   Doing some research is part of the fun,  Haha.

Art 

Research always pays off.  I have a friend who manages an Advanced Auto.  He will let me get into the catalogs from the vendors. The catalogs show much more than the "best sellers" that are on the computer.  That's how I found new motor mounts from Anchor a few years ago.  In the catalog and available by special order (no extra charge) but not on their computer.  The catalogs from the shock manufacturers contain all of the info you'd need to make the proper selection.  Extended length, compressed length, type of mount for each end, diameter of the body and rod, and the weight each will handle.

Go make friends with a jobber. 👍

Ed

I put a set of air shocks in my '65, with the air filler valve mounted on the rear-most frame cross-member.

I mounted the valve into an existing hole in the cross-member so no drilling was necessary.   

I've had this in place for many years and it works well.  Not auto-levelling, of course, but easily adjustable by adding air or letting it out when no load is being carried.  The fittings leak a bit so the air 'charge' goes away after several weeks.  But, that's no big deal and easy to fix - just add more air.

I have been trying to stay out on this one, but let me add a couple of things. First, I know you said you do not want air bags. But let me tell you about the setup on the rear of my car. I too, have a steep driveway. On the rear of my car are air springs and regular shocks. All this came in my setup, but you can buy the individual parts and pieces. If you find an air shock, you will still have to have an on board compressor, storage tank, and controller to pick up the back of the car on demand as you are wanting to do. You don't have to put bags in the front or do anything at all to the front. But the back of my car will move about 12" at the bumper between full up and full down. Actually if I get the back too high, it wants to scrape the front. Other than drilling a few holes for lines, no other mods needed to do this. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but it will do what you are asking.

IMG_0592.thumb.JPG.6f0a09b4f3a9e3a38f5978c9bb275925.JPGDSCN1495.thumb.JPG.e2e84290aaf8175c3a6bb06ec028ea0a.JPGDSCN1494.thumb.JPG.7746335a166b74a1c711d2dd52a65de8.JPG

4 hours ago, steelman said:

I have been trying to stay out on this one, but let me add a couple of things. First, I know you said you do not want air bags. But let me tell you about the setup on the rear of my car. I too, have a steep driveway. On the rear of my car are air springs and regular shocks. All this came in my setup, but you can buy the individual parts and pieces. If you find an air shock, you will still have to have an on board compressor, storage tank, and controller to pick up the back of the car on demand as you are wanting to do. You don't have to put bags in the front or do anything at all to the front. But the back of my car will move about 12" at the bumper between full up and full down. Actually if I get the back too high, it wants to scrape the front. Other than drilling a few holes for lines, no other mods needed to do this. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but it will do what you are asking.

Do you know what company made the airbag mounts? I'd like to bag my 64 at some point.

FWIW, some mid 70's to mid 80's Eldorados had air shocks on the rear, and a switch with an arm that connected to the rear axle. It allowed for automatic leveling. I think the compressor is mounted in one of the front fenders. I picked up one for $10 or so at the local pick-a-part.