Sign in to follow this  
J3Studio

[1963] What Was The Real Competition?

Ed, I still have a few of these left. They are brand new and 12 dollars shipped to your door. Gene.

getPart-11.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

3 hours ago, abandg said:

Ed, I still have a few of these left. They are brand new and 12 dollars shipped to your door. Gene.

getPart-11.jpg

I would like one.

PayPal? If so, send me a request for founds. If not, ??

Address sent via PM

Craig

Thanks for all the contributions, folks.

IMHO, the 63 Riviera beats the 63 T-Bird in a walk.  One might then suggest that it was the Riviera which prompted the redesign of the T-Bird for 64.  And let's be honest here: the 64-66 T-Bird was a good looking car.

My Dad was trying to choose between a T Bird and a 65 Riv. My Mom talked him into the Buick. MUCH better choice.

I dunno.  I've always thought the 65 Riviera was a step back from 64, while the 65 T Bird convertible with the tonneau option was pretty fine.  Mechanically, though, I might give the Riviera the edge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, abandg said:

PM sent.

Friend (a real Ford guy) just bought a 66 Tbird. He admits it is a nice car, but still not as nice as my Riviera. But he didn’t want to spend the money a first gen Riviera would have cost. 

B62AB9CC-999B-410F-8B7C-5DDB75E4479A.jpeg

• Like 2

Those are killer wheels on your 65 ! What are they ? Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Agreed about the Riv. over the T-Bird.

When I was out looking for a new car at the age of 18, 1st. & only new car I've eve bought,  I shopped around at Ford, worked at a Ford dealer for a few years, Lincoln, Merc. some Mopars & other GM cars of the era.  I ended up with my '64 Riv. because it rode & handled so much better than ANY of the others. Too bad it was too early for the Skylark GS as I might have ended up with one of those.  I drove ALL the various GM cars, full size & A-Body's.  Why did I choose the Riv. over the others???  I had the choices of an Impala SS, the GTO, the Olds 442, any of the Chevelle's or even the Corvette. ( IF I bought a 'Vette I would probably not be here today) In actuality the Riv. was far more superior in the outright performance areas of most ANY of the others. Mopars were too wishy wasey & the brakes were horrible, you look at the brake pedal & your head would be into the windshield. WAY over boosted along with the P/S way too sensitive.  Along with most of them only having a 2 speed auto trans. available.

The brakes & steering were the same on most of the Ford offerings.

Same with most of the GM offerings. Pontiac with their Hydro-matics, Olds with their SlimJim autos,  Caddy with the same Hydro as Olds, (BUT the '64 Cad, had the 1st. yr. TH400 same as the Riv. & other Full Size Buick car offerings)& the GM intermediates only had a 2 speed auto.  In actuality the '64 Riv. was FAR SUPERIOR than ANY of the other GM cars as far as riding, handling & weight distribution.  I ALMOST bought a Fuelie 'Vette.

For the most part MANY of the other offerings from GM were at the beginning of the Muscle car era.  The Riv. actually out drove & handled better than the 'Vette & was FAR SUPERIOR in the performance & handling departments except for the Fuelie 4 speeds.  The reason I choose the Riv. amongest ALL the others was the cost of insurance.  This was the time insurance company's were starting to up the costs for these so called Muscle cars.

The Riv. was so much more car & it DIDN'T come with the higher costs of insurance, although if you compare apples to oranges the Riv. cost 1/2 the costs of the other GM & Chevs. at the time & 1/3 the costs of a 'Vette.  It wasn't considered a muscle car although it was faster & handled better than what was available at the time.

So in my mind the '64 Riv. I bought new & still have today pleases me in ALL departments I considered important to me at the time.  I was thinking about a KX version, BUT I thought & felt the 1x4 had faster initial  acceleration, would probably give me better fuel mileage & be easier on the final pocket costs.  You must remember at this time I was ONLY 18 yrs. old so ALL these costs had to make some kind of sense.

People ask me when I restored my Riv, although it's kinda getting long in the tooth today., it started the day I drove it home from the dealer & I've been playing with it since then & have it to where I feel I want it to be.

Tom T.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Some might still remember Joe Gallina from western New York. He lived about a mile from me and sold a lot of 1st Generation Riviera parts. He bought a new Cobra in 1964. He told me every time he hear his son pull out of the driveway with the Cobra he imagined the kid in a coffin. He traded it for a '65 Riviera and was never without one for the rest of his life.

He also was very adamant that Buick had never built a car called a Riv or a Rivieras. And that's all I call them by today.

On the T-bird, I joined the Navy in 1967 and the first company commander had a new '67 Thunderbird coupe. At the time I thought wow, what a good looking car. It has a real solid GM style to it.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

As luck would have it, i have both a T-Bird (1962) and Riviera GS (1965). While a coupla years apart (so not a totally fair comparison) , I'll take the riviera every day.

20190918_210152.jpg

20190901_180835.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

He was also was very adamant that Buick had never built a car called a Riv or a Rivieras. And that's all I call them by today.

Bernie

A little off topic but if you want to find good deals on Rivieras. Misspell Riviera on Craigslist of Facebook Market place.  The most common misspellings Riveria or Rivera.

• Haha 1

I used to search both Ebay and Craigslist for misspellings. And one day I just decided I didn't want THEIR cars.  I have managed well even though I excluded them.

I think that was back when Ebay let you use the * as a wildcard. I was telling a guy he could search easier if he used an asterisk. He asked "What's an asterisk?" I haven't bought any cars from him either.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, kreed said:

Those are killer wheels on your 65 ! What are they ? Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Thanks, Ken. These are Billet Specialties GS-47s. These are custom made to order. I love them and everybody comments they look great on a Riv. Not cheap and you have to wait while they are made, but it was the right choice for my car.

42F61CC8-32BD-4F8E-A000-DB712B97DCD6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 8:03 AM, steelman said:

Friend (a real Ford guy) just bought a 66 Tbird. He admits it is a nice car, but still not as nice as my Riviera. But he didn’t want to spend the money a first gen Riviera would have cost.

That's a good point. Despite being the market leader, four-seat Thunderbirds just don't seem to sell for as much as their later arriving competitors do.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, J3Studio said:

That's a good point. Despite being the market leader, four-seat Thunderbirds just don't seem to sell for as much as their later arriving competitors do.

Could the fact that Ford produced almost one and one-half or more Thunderbirds per year than the Riviera mean that there are just that many more Thunderbirds out there.  If so, supply and demand would dictate that the Thunderbird does not demand the money that a Riviera does.  But we all know the Riviera is the better car. 😎

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

But we all know the Riviera is the better car. 😎

Objectively speaking, I don't see how anyone could think that the contemporary Thumnderbird (cool as it may be) is near the car the Riviera is.

Not to drink too much of the Kool-Aid, but the first generation Riviera is one of (if not the) best engineered domestic cars from that period.

When I was shopping for a Riv, I was also looking for a 64 GP or Ventura, and the 61-63 Thunderbird. If I ever got money, i'd own all of them. In my opinion, the 60's was the best decade of auto design. 

How true that statement is!!!!   To me anyway.

Tom T.

If there was a time tunnel back to 65 my money would be on a Catalina 2+2/421 3x2 with close ratio 4speed and 4:11 gears, 8 lug wheels a/c and pwr windows (it was available as a convertible, too, but would get a hardtop) About the same money as the Riv. Very good looking, notorious GM ride, lots of dashboard jewelry.

That car today in very good driver quality would be out of my price range as a hobby.

That's where Rivieras come in. They're generally not all hacked up.They are the better looking car. And the best bang for my buck today. There's also a comfort in knowing the ins and outs of a certain mark of vehicle. StEVE

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

If there was a time tunnel back to 65 my money would be on a Catalina 2+2/421 3x2 with close ratio 4speed and 4:11 gears, 8 lug wheels a/c and pwr windows (it was available as a convertible, too, but would get a hardtop) About the same money as the Riv. Very good looking, notorious GM ride, lots of dashboard jewelry.

That car today in very good driver quality would be out of my price range as a hobby.

That's where Rivieras come in. They're generally not all hacked up.They are the better looking car. And the best bang for my buck today. There's also a comfort in knowing the ins and outs of a certain mark of vehicle. StEVE

At the ROA meet in St. Charles, IL a couple of years ago, there was a car there that gungeey would have loved.  A 1st generation Riviera that was a complete Pontiac package.  8 lug wheels, 421 w/ 3x2 carburetion. 4 speed manual gear box, Pontiac steering wheel and seats, an iconic Pontiac grill, and all of the Pontiac emblems.  Sorry, I didn't get a picture of it but maybe another forum member did.  Well executed but a lot of Riviera "purist" shunned it. The guy had vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

45 minutes ago, RivNut said:

At the ROA meet in St. Charles, IL a couple of years ago, there was a car there that gungeey would have loved.  A 1st generation Riviera that was a complete Pontiac package.  8 lug wheels, 421 w/ 3x2 carburetion. 4 speed manual gear box, Pontiac steering wheel and seats, an iconic Pontiac grill, and all of the Pontiac emblems.  Sorry, I didn't get a picture of it but maybe another forum member did.  Well executed but a lot of Riviera "purist" shunned it. The guy had vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

You are correct!

The 2+2 HO upgrade would have special cam, higher compression, etc. Cant picture the grill but that powertrain in a 1st gen would be a fn Gorilla.

I found a picture of it on the ROA's website. I forgot to mention the hood scoop and hood mounted tachometer which can be seen in the picture. I think it's even painted a Pontiac color. 

normal_First_Custom.jpeg.37ad80d94bd33b0a917a3201179f3509.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I found a picture of it on the ROA's website. I forgot to mention the hood scoop and hood mounted tachometer which can be seen in the picture. I think it's even painted a Pontiac color. 

normal_First_Custom.jpeg.37ad80d94bd33b0a917a3201179f3509.jpeg

I like it—it fits my "there's room for one in the world and that could be it" criteria.