40 special engine splash pans

RiKi5156B

So I put these back on yesterday and noticed the one on the drivers side has an unused hole at the rear near the oil pan. Anyone have an Idea what its for? These pans are original to the car and I don't remember if something was bolted to it.

On my `36 40 series, there`s 3 pans, one fits across the rear of the front cross-member, the side pans bolt to the front pan and side rails of the frame. My pans go all the way to the back end of the engine block, and the "L" bracket attaches to the outer bolt of the flywheel dust pan, each side, i guess the spring helps absorb any engine movement. The pan you are showing looks to be quite a bit shorter than mine, both of my side pans are 33 1/2" long. Maybe someone with a `40 will jump in here and provide the answer.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

I looked closer at your picture and the most rearward curved shield I don't have installed but I saw it recently so I know it's  some where in my shop. Blasted and painted, I'll install it when I find it. Thanks for the pic.

1 hour ago, RiKi5156B said:

I looked closer at your picture and the most rearward curved shield I don't have installed but I saw it recently so I know it's  some where in my shop. Blasted and painted, I'll install it when I find it. Thanks for the pic.

Dose the extension piece have the spring and "L" bracket to mount to the outer dust cover bolt? Also is your right side splash pan full length under the starter, and bolt to the outer dust pan bolt with spring and "L" bracket?