Funny Statements in Car Ads

3macboys

I'm sure that a lot of you are doing the same as I am and cruising the used/old car listings window shopping online.  This one caught my attention for the honesty though not sure what it really means:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/north-bay/original-florida-1965-plymouth-sports-fury/1500919342?undefined

Plymouth brought up from Florida, registered in Ontario previous one-owner car

Funny I was thinking about a similar topic which was interesting ads from days past, mostly thinking about HMN ads.  One comes to mind from the days when the Model T and Model A section actually had ads from small vendors.  This was from my friend Eddie Fitts here in CT.  "Many mechanical and some body parts for Model As 1928 to 1931, No goodies!", Ed who is still vending and working on these cars, ran that same ad for years.  Today, his online ads usually say "No pictures".  Ed's old school for sure.

Then of course the slightly obnoxious, kind of odd ads running often in the Fords wanted section, "call 123-456.. and say Mr. Ford is calling", weird, I bet many remember those.

Riverside County had a gov't vehicle auction a few months ago which included a fleet of X police cars. They were listed as "one owner cars" which I thought was pretty good advertising. 😄

On 5/15/2020 at 9:04 AM, SC38DLS said:

No my wife and I are both on the title of our cars!  So they are two owner cars. 

Sorry conldn't resist.

dave s

Our cars also are titled in my wife's and my names.  One time the dealer and/or the state screwed up and the title came in just my name.  Wife questioned that but I managed to convince her it wasn't my doing.  Corrected it a couple years later when we moved to another state and re-titled the car.  Dunno whether that makes it one-owner or two-owner.  Anyway, good thing for her I didn't die in the meantime.  🤣

15 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

Anyway, good thing for her I didn't die in the meantime. 

The worst estate thing I saw in 44 years as a Funeral Director involved a collectible truck.  All their vehicles were in the dying husband's name.  All vehicles were transferred into the wife's name except for his favourite truck.  Up here in BC if a person dies as the owner of a vehicle the spouse can just take a Death Certificate and the registration to a DMV office and transfer it to themselves unless it is very very valuable.  In this case the Widow went to the DMV, turned the plates in and asked to transfer the truck into her name  The clerk said the truck was unregistered as the plates had been turned in so it could not be transferred.  The lady said bu I just handed you the plates.  The clerk said you should have transferred the title first, sorry.  It took her months to get the truck in her name.

32 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

The worst estate thing I saw in 44 years as a Funeral Director involved a collectible truck.  All their vehicles were in the dying husband's name.  All vehicles were transferred into the wife's name except for his favourite truck.  Up here in BC if a person dies as the owner of a vehicle the spouse can just take a Death Certificate and the registration to a DMV office and transfer it to themselves unless it is very very valuable.  In this case the Widow went to the DMV, turned the plates in and asked to transfer the truck into her name  The clerk said the truck was unregistered as the plates had been turned in so it could not be transferred.  The lady said bu I just handed you the plates.  The clerk said you should have transferred the title first, sorry.  It took her months to get the truck in her name.

Wow, that sucks!  I was just being facetious about dying in the meantime.  When my Dad passed, we sold his truck, which had no great value.  We provided the buyer a copy of the death certificate and AFAIK, he had no trouble titling the truck.

5 minutes ago, padgett said:

Just a side not but when making out a title how the names read is very important:  XXXX OR YYYY means either can negotiate the title. XXXX AND YYYY means both must sign.

Yup, same for bank accounts or anything jointly owned.  "OR" definitely simplifies inheritance.  Course in the event of a divorce or other falling-out, the partner getting there second is screwed.  :o

• Haha 1

Things that you read in ads and hear from sellers that make you shake your head.

"NO Rust" then you call the owner and he says he put a whole new floor in the car because it was rusty, but it isn't rusty now.

"Better than new" This cannot exist. The best anything can be is when it was new.

"Perfect" I have never seen a perfect car. It would be like seeing a unicorn riding in a UFO with Bigfoot.

"The guy told me" I know it is prefect cause the guy I bought it from told me it was.

"It is not my car but I am selling it for a very important collector who is way too busy to talk to you..." that one explains itself.

"Never been out in the snow" I once saw that in print in a hemmings ad. The car was literally sitting on a snow covered driveway.

"Never been for sale before" Then how did you get it?

• Like 1

The one that gets me whether it is a car or parts is "if interested please contact...."  A total waste of words, space and probably money if it was a paid ad.

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

The one that gets me whether it is a car or parts is "if interested please contact...."  A total waste of words, space and probably money if it was a paid ad.

Another waste of words and typing. When you have a car for sale and somebody sends an email and asks "Is the car still for sale?" That is why I have an ad posted.

I just read a Facebook ad for a car with no rust that comes with new quarter panels. By the pics, it needs those quarter panels because a rat must have chewed 10% of the old ones off. 

• Like 3

"This car is believed to have belonged to Mr. Mercedes." -- from an old auction catalog hyping a 1950s Mercedes..

Of course, as most know, there was no "Mr. Mercedes." Mercedes was the first name of Emil Jellinek's daughter; he was involved in marketing early automobiles and named the 1901 Mercedes after his daughter.   

• Like 1

Some classics I come across when buying Early Ford V8s:

seller:  The guy I got it from got it from the original owner’s family

me:  do you have any paperwork to prove it?

seller: (no)

all original, except for fiberglass rear fenders, replacement Flathead, and juice brakes added...and 12 volt...

RARE, only 32,655 made...

“hard to find in this condition” ..(...found this one...)

Me:  why are you selling it?

seller:  I have too many cars.  (which means he is flipping it)

Seller: 66,000. Original miles
me: do you have DMV records to prove that?

seller: no

Reason:  it’s a 5 digit odometer, and after eighty something years, near impossible to have that few miles.  And you can reach under the dash and disconnect the speedo cable almost by using your fingertips 

but still, absolutely love the car hobby.

seller:  if I don’t get my (high) asking price, then I am just gonna keep it...

*then why did you list it for sale in the first place of you are going to keep it? Threatening to keep it isn’t going to make me offer more,

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Another waste of words and typing. When you have a car for sale and somebody sends an email and asks "Is the car still for sale?" That is why I have an ad posted.

OTOH, some aren't so conscientious about pulling their ad or at least marking it sold.

Here's another one I just stumbled on tonight:

$_59.JPG

Selling my project car... have another project to work on.. 1965 Meteor Montcalm convertible, have never tried to start engine since i got it, but looks decent. I was told its a 390 big block. Body has minor rust spots. Needs driver floor patch and slight rear side frame repair. Deserves to be restored back to a daily driver... lots of parts to go with it... PLUS ownership. Have more pics to send if you're interested... i'm asking 3999. she will be a beauty once you finish her up!

I took my father with me to look at a Packard tonight. It was cheap and my expectations were low... but still too lofty. 

All new wiring:  several rolls of electrical tape. 
Body is in good condition: rotten to the core... rust through above windows... don’t get me started on the bottom side. 
New tires: Walmart radials on an old car. 
Runs and drives: loudest Packard I have ever heard that wasn’t a racing boat with a brake dragging enough that all you had to do to stop was push in the clutch. (The modern edelbrock 4 barrel on a 288 did peak my curiosity... but who straight pipes a Packard). 

I really was hoping to find a car worth the cheap asking price... I found a car I wouldn’t offer 1/3rd of the price on.... for fear they would say yes. 

Do sellers not realize it is their own time they are wasting?