3macboys

Funny Statements in Car Ads

Recommended Posts

I'm sure that a lot of you are doing the same as I am and cruising the used/old car listings window shopping online.  This one caught my attention for the honesty though not sure what it really means:

 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/north-bay/original-florida-1965-plymouth-sports-fury/1500919342?undefined

 

Plymouth brought up from Florida, registered in Ontario previous one-owner car

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Benefits of AACA Membership.

I think he means that he is the second owner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of cars got totaled in the first year of ownership, had no positive value on the vehicle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would have been nearer for most people if it had left in Florida   It’s up around Sudbury now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Aren't all cars previous one-owner cars?

No my wife and I are both on the title of our cars!  So they are two owner cars. 

 

Sorry conldn't resist.

dave s

 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now own two early Ford V8's previously owned by Henry Ford.  I fact our entire collection of early Fords where  once owned by Henry Ford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny I was thinking about a similar topic which was interesting ads from days past, mostly thinking about HMN ads.  One comes to mind from the days when the Model T and Model A section actually had ads from small vendors.  This was from my friend Eddie Fitts here in CT.  "Many mechanical and some body parts for Model As 1928 to 1931, No goodies!", Ed who is still vending and working on these cars, ran that same ad for years.  Today, his online ads usually say "No pictures".  Ed's old school for sure.

 

Then of course the slightly obnoxious, kind of odd ads running often in the Fords wanted section, "call 123-456.. and say Mr. Ford is calling", weird, I bet many remember those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on where in Florida, have seen the rear axle from the trunk in a coast car. Remember a 70 GTO with bow and stern separation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riverside County had a gov't vehicle auction a few months ago which included a fleet of X police cars. They were listed as "one owner cars" which I thought was pretty good advertising. 😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 9:04 AM, SC38DLS said:

No my wife and I are both on the title of our cars!  So they are two owner cars. 

 

Sorry conldn't resist.

dave s

 

 

 

Our cars also are titled in my wife's and my names.  One time the dealer and/or the state screwed up and the title came in just my name.  Wife questioned that but I managed to convince her it wasn't my doing.  Corrected it a couple years later when we moved to another state and re-titled the car.  Dunno whether that makes it one-owner or two-owner.  Anyway, good thing for her I didn't die in the meantime.  🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

Anyway, good thing for her I didn't die in the meantime. 

The worst estate thing I saw in 44 years as a Funeral Director involved a collectible truck.  All their vehicles were in the dying husband's name.  All vehicles were transferred into the wife's name except for his favourite truck.  Up here in BC if a person dies as the owner of a vehicle the spouse can just take a Death Certificate and the registration to a DMV office and transfer it to themselves unless it is very very valuable.  In this case the Widow went to the DMV, turned the plates in and asked to transfer the truck into her name  The clerk said the truck was unregistered as the plates had been turned in so it could not be transferred.  The lady said bu I just handed you the plates.  The clerk said you should have transferred the title first, sorry.  It took her months to get the truck in her name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One i`ve always remembered from decades ago. "For sale, 1965 Chevy, by an old lady with a dent in the rear."

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a side not but when making out a title how the names read is very important:  XXXX OR YYYY means either can negotiate the title. XXXX AND YYYY means both must sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

The worst estate thing I saw in 44 years as a Funeral Director involved a collectible truck.  All their vehicles were in the dying husband's name.  All vehicles were transferred into the wife's name except for his favourite truck.  Up here in BC if a person dies as the owner of a vehicle the spouse can just take a Death Certificate and the registration to a DMV office and transfer it to themselves unless it is very very valuable.  In this case the Widow went to the DMV, turned the plates in and asked to transfer the truck into her name  The clerk said the truck was unregistered as the plates had been turned in so it could not be transferred.  The lady said bu I just handed you the plates.  The clerk said you should have transferred the title first, sorry.  It took her months to get the truck in her name.

 

 

Wow, that sucks!  I was just being facetious about dying in the meantime.  When my Dad passed, we sold his truck, which had no great value.  We provided the buyer a copy of the death certificate and AFAIK, he had no trouble titling the truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, padgett said:

Just a side not but when making out a title how the names read is very important:  XXXX OR YYYY means either can negotiate the title. XXXX AND YYYY means both must sign.

 

 

Yup, same for bank accounts or anything jointly owned.  "OR" definitely simplifies inheritance.  Course in the event of a divorce or other falling-out, the partner getting there second is screwed.  :o

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tinindian said:

The clerk said you should have transferred the title first, sorry.

 

Canadian govt employees same as US.

No common sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing to read in an ad. "Restored all original".

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

The best thing to read in an ad. "Restored all original".

 With a Corvette engine and custom wheels?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of a mid-1980s Hemmings ad that I have kept in the "fresh memory" part of my brain as the best example of its genre:  "Engine disassembled for your inspection..."

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things that you read in ads and hear from sellers that make you shake your head.

 

"NO Rust" then you call the owner and he says he put a whole new floor in the car because it was rusty, but it isn't rusty now.

 

"Better than new" This cannot exist. The best anything can be is when it was new.

 

"Perfect" I have never seen a perfect car. It would be like seeing a unicorn riding in a UFO with Bigfoot.

 

"The guy told me" I know it is prefect cause the guy I bought it from told me it was.

 

"It is not my car but I am selling it for a very important collector who is way too busy to talk to you..." that one explains itself.

 

"Never been out in the snow" I once saw that in print in a hemmings ad. The car was literally sitting on a snow covered driveway.

 

"Never been for sale before" Then how did you get it?

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a 1912 that was in the same family from new. I have people say to me that I am now the second owner???? It went from grand father to father to son so to me I am the fourth owner. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

I have a 1912 that was in the same family from new. I have people say to me that I am now the second owner???? It went from grand father to father to son so to me I am the fourth owner. 

 

Second family 4th owner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one that gets me whether it is a car or parts is "if interested please contact...."  A total waste of words, space and probably money if it was a paid ad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now