I Hit the Trifecta Today!

oldcarfudd

I have long said, only partly in jest, that the three basic food groups are beer, pizza, and ice cream.  (My wife says chocolate is a fourth.)

Today, having replaced the spark plug on my 1907 one-lung Cadillac and lubricated everything I could reach, I sallied forth in search of a pizza.  My favorite pizza joint made me one – to go, of course.  But while waiting for it, I noticed they were serving ice cream cones.  I hadn’t had one for months, since the lockdown.  I took my pizza home, had three slices with a good craft beer, froze the other slices, and drove the Cadillac back to the restaurant.  I was served two scoops in a waffle cone, which I ate sitting behind the wheel of the Cadillac on a brilliantly sunny spring day.  Trifecta!

Then I drove the Cadillac about 15 more miles, including a gravel road through a federal wildlife preserve.  The toilets were closed, but the trees weren’t.  The hikers and dog-walkers loved the car.

And, since the ice cream was mint chocolate chip, my wife’s food group was included, too!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

Edited by oldcarfudd (see edit history)
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Then I drove the Cadillac about 15 more miles, including a gravel road through a federal wildlife preserve.  The toilets were closed, but the trees weren’t.  The hikers and dog-walkers loved the car.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

Gil, I have always told my friends you are one of my old car heros, now having shown us the light (the trifecta + 1) you are at the top of the heap!
I like to drive my T through a local nature preserve also. There are plenty of “lava-trees” there also.😀😀😀

Bob, The buildings are very old, possibly older than the car.  They're all hotels now.  The picture was taken in Ocean Grove, NJ, which was a bible camp town in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There's a huge wooden church, and still a lot of permanent tents that members use when they come for revivals.  None of the restaurants can serve liquor, but Asbury Park is an easy walk and we heathens can indulge our satanic rituals with Demon Rum along with our meals.  Until a few decades ago, you couldn't drive a car there on Sunday, not even to leave; there were chains across the roads.  We have a three-day one-and two-cylinder tour there every year (except this one) to start the season.

JamesR, you can join the Horseless Carriage Club for $19.15 in your introductory year.  After that, the dues are 45 bucks, but I expect they will go up a bit.  You'll get a great magazine with lots of stuff about early cars.  (I think it's great because I help edit it, so I may be a little prejudiced!)

Gil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1