NEED TO FIND STR8 BUICK MECHANIC CENTRAL FLA

Dynaflash8

Is there any mechanic with real longterm knowledge of how to work on a 1941 BUICK Dual Carb straight 8 Roadmaster?  One shop within 100 miles of Sebring, Florida who I know of will work on old cars.  They are and have been stump by my 1941 Buick Roadmaster for weeks.  They also don't have time and are trying to figure it out in-between modern work.  If you are alive and out there, contact me and I'll explain the problem.  Earl, 804-366-4870 or suzybelle39baby@aol.com.  The car has all sorts of new parts on it and it won't heal.  It is loading up gas on #1-2, runs like a streaking ape at 50-60 mph and misses at 30-40.  It is not a heavy miss, just not running well and new AC-46 plugs getting wet #1-2.  Ran fine until I bought some gas on tour, but after that 50 miles and barely got it home the second 50 miles.  Distributor or Carburetor.  Put in a NOS carb, but hasn't solved the problem.  Changed a fuel filter, no go.  Put a new accelerator pump into a NOS front carb.  That stopped the studder from stop.  I've had some good leads, but mechanic won't listen.  Need a new, but oldtime knowledgeable mechanic within AAA towing distance (100 miles) from Sebring, FL 33870.  Does such a person exist in 2020?  I just sent old carb and used rear carb to Cleveland a few minutes ago.

5 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Is there any mechanic with real longterm knowledge of how to work on a 1941 BUICK Dual Carb straight 8 Roadmaster?  One shop within 100 miles of Sebring, Florida who I know of will work on old cars.  They are and have been stump by my 1941 Buick Roadmaster for weeks.  They also don't have time and are trying to figure it out in-between modern work.  If you are alive and out there, contact me and I'll explain the problem.  Earl, 804-366-4870 or suzybelle39baby@aol.com.  The car has all sorts of new parts on it and it won't heal.  It is loading up gas on #1-2, runs like a streaking ape at 50-60 mph and misses at 30-40.  It is not a heavy miss, just not running well and new AC-46 plugs getting wet #1-2.  Ran fine until I bought some gas on tour, but after that 50 miles and barely got it home the second 50 miles.  Distributor or Carburetor.  Put in a NOS carb, but hasn't solved the problem.  Changed a fuel filter, no go.  Put a new accelerator pump into a NOS front carb.  That stopped the studder from stop.  I've had some good leads, but mechanic won't listen.  Need a new, but oldtime knowledgeable mechanic within AAA towing distance (100 miles) from Sebring, FL 33870.  Does such a person exist in 2020?  I just sent old carb and used rear carb to Cleveland a few minutes ago.

While you have the carbs off, you might consider a magnaflux of the intake manifold. Have seen a LOT of the dual manifolds that were cracked.

Jon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carbking said:

While you have the carbs off, you might consider a magnaflux of the intake manifold. Have seen a LOT of the dual manifolds that were cracked. 

Jon.

Isn't that the exhaust manifold that so often cracks?  The carbs aren't off, at least not yet.  We replaced the front carb with a NOS carb and that didn't change the problem.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Isn't that the exhaust manifold that so often cracks?  The carbs aren't off, at least not yet.  We replaced the front carb with a NOS carb and that didn't change the problem.

When I was still restoring carbs, had maybe a half dozen or so sets here, with intakes. All but one were cracked. Since I didn't need the exhaust manifolds, they were not sent to me.

Jon.

6 hours ago, carbking said:

When I was still restoring carbs, had maybe a half dozen or so sets here, with intakes. All but one were cracked. Since I didn't need the exhaust manifolds, they were not sent to me.  Better I have it on the shelf than him I thought, 'cause I ain't dead yet.

Jon.

That's surely a bad sign.  Based on your message I purchased an intake manifold in "excellent condition" along with two "rebuilt" carbs from a man in PA today...............just in case.

Earl, you say the trouble started after you bought gas. Could it be a case of bad gas? I tore my hair out for months trying to figure out what was wrong with one of the Volvos. I went through the fuel system and ignition. Several times. No luck, then a good friend suggested I check out the gas and sure enough that was it. 
Moral of the story, check the easy cheap things first. Something I had forgotten.

Dave

10 hours ago, Dave_B said:

Earl, you say the trouble started after you bought gas. Could it be a case of bad gas? I tore my hair out for months trying to figure out what was wrong with one of the Volvos. I went through the fuel system and ignition. Several times. No luck, then a good friend suggested I check out the gas and sure enough that was it. 
Moral of the story, check the easy cheap things first. Something I had forgotten.

Dave

I instructed them to pull the gas tank, but they only syphoned out the gas and then I bought new gas in a can to put it in.  Personally, I keep going back to that myself.  A week or so after they put in the new spark plugs I drove it over to the only gas station here with non-ethanol gas and got more fresh gas.  On the way home it cut off twice as if it had water in the tank.  A week later we went out for a drive and it started good, drove okay for about 6-7 miles and then acted like it was starving for gas.  I put on the electric fuel pump and it got better.  I turned around and headed back home and it did it again.  I don't know how many people go to our one and only station for miles and pay almost $5 a gallon but his gas may be going bad I'm thinking.  My '39 will do that on ethanol if the temps get over 85 here but the electric fuel pump on a switch solves it.  I think the '41 will have the same issue, but it wasn't hot that day.  Also, before all this happened, after he fixed the previous issue from the trip to Sarasota the car ran super rich and I think that is why the plugs were sooted up. But, what do I know?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 12:30 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

drove okay for about 6-7 miles and then acted like it was starving for gas. 

Do you have a standard gas tank cap or a replacement with a tighter seal?  Cars have been known to grind to a halt if air can't get into the tank as the petrol is drawn by the motor.