Rocker oiling problem 37 Buick coupe

Jerry37

Oil gears turning but cannot move oil into lines leading to rocker arms to oil upper rockers. I really don’t want to pull oil pan unless I must. Any tricks to get oil flowing would be helpful on my 37 Buick coupe?

image.png.3c549447029c935dbb3b0846f12c9e97.png

I notice the distributor is removed, are you attempting to turn the oil pump manually, if so, you should be turning the oil pump shaft counterclockwise. If you are spinning the engine with dist. removed, oil pump is not spinning. Are you aware that your engine is not `37?  Side-mounts started in `48.  248cu in? If your are expecting oil to come out the brass fitting(between the distributor and ground wire) its not pressurized, that`s a return from the oil filter. You might check for a stopped up screen on the feeder to the head, at least take the feeder line loose from the head to see if you are getting oil to that point, when spinning the oil pump.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the engine is a 1949. Took all of the lines off and cleaned them to make sure nothing was in way. Yes turning shaft counter clockwise and nothing yet. It had set without oil for quite sometime so have tried priming it, will try spinning again before doctors appointment today. Thank you for the response.

12 minutes ago, Jerry37 said:

Yes, the engine is a 1949. Took all of the lines off and cleaned them to make sure nothing was in way. Yes turning shaft counter clockwise and nothing yet. It had set without oil for quite sometime so have tried priming it, will try spinning again before doctors appointment today. Thank you for the response.

Are you turning by hand or using a drill to spin shaft? I doubt by hand would do it. Setting dry, any dried sludge in pick-up screen of the pump could be the problem. May have to pull the pan.

Using electric drill to spin. Yes, I was hoping I would not have to remove pan. This was my cousins car and he had drained it then got sick and died last year. I want to save the engine rather than dropping Chevy v8 in it.

35 minutes ago, Jerry37 said:

Using electric drill to spin. Yes, I was hoping I would not have to remove pan. This was my cousins car and he had drained it then got sick and died last year. I want to save the engine rather than dropping Chevy v8 in it.

BIG BOO, on the V8 idea.. When using the drill to spin the oil pump shaft,  if it spins freely, no oil is getting to the pump gears(restricted pick up screen). When oil gets to the pump gears it`s a little harder to turn the shaft, and would make the drill work a little harder.

Be aware of the plugged rocker arm shaft. Sludge collects in the rear end of the shaft and prevents oil flow to the valves on cylinders 6-8. It might just be a cause of back pressure in the oil lines. Having been there I thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone salutes.

Try using a pressure oil tank screwed into the oil galley...pressure it up to 25lbs or more... priming all the oil lines/ galleys.

It should fill and prime the oil pump too.

Then try priming with the oil pump.

Oil pumps drained of oil can be at times hard to prime.

20200514_233120_compress5.jpg

I found that it can take a long time. driving th pump with a drill, to get oil to the rockers. It takes a lot of oil to fill that hollow shaft before oil comes out.

To check, you can remove the little tube that feeds the shaft at the front and see if you are getting oil there