Sign in to follow this  
Terry Bond

AACA Magazine arrived

Couldn't put it down!  Going through again this evening.  What a lot of great content!  Like holding history in you hands.

Terry

• Like 3

Mine just came in the mail.....can't wait to start reading it after dinner tonight !

Steve

Got mine on Long Island in this AM  mail.

Orlando today also. Mail seems to be doing very well.

And, it arrived in my new Mailbox too!   I got tired of looking for a suitable old car mailbox, so I painted my own.  It's a little bigger too for larger ebay packages.

Terry

Mailbox.jpg

Posted (edited)

I especially enjoyed West Peterson's "Somewhere East of Eden" article on page 10 about tracing the history of his family's 1930 Packard 7-34 

Speedster 8.  Tracing ancestry of a car was as intricate a job as is done on the PBS program "Finding Your Roots".  Automotive Detective/Editor 

did great job and I was sure it would be my favorite article of this issue

That was true until I got to the Dennis Upton article on page 46.  "1940 Ford Standard  Lowell Todd's Car", which was also a automotive historical 

tale.  Now I have dueling contenders for favorite story and I have not yet read the cover story about the 1942 Chrysler Royal on page 50.

AACA's Antique Automobile and Hemming's Classic Car are my two favorite magazines.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Not nice to tease the rest of us about articles that haven’t received our copy yet! Lol

dave s 

I received my copy last Monday......I absolutely love the ‘42 Chrysler pictured on the cover. 

• Like 1

Received mine at home yesterday.  Unfortunately I left my glasses at the shop and the only thing I need them for is reading.  I didn't get a chance to read it last evening.  Today my Son received his copy here at the shop and guess what...my glasses are at home.

I received mine as well.  Very nice magazine. Very nice.  A lot of great articles and advertising of outfits that can assist with parts/repairs.  

Got mine yesterday-

Nice note by Steve Moskowitz about Rene Dreyfuss,

my (very?) distant cousin

I think this last issue is one of the very best West has put together since he's been editor of the AA. A terrific mix of wonderful content.

Doesn't hurt that I just finished reading "Faster" nor that I know the Peterson boat tail so well, and not just because I stored it for Don in my basement in Chamblee, GA, for a year or two (along with two of his other cars: a late V16 Cadillac and an early Karmann-Ghia).

Bravo, West! Keep up the great work!

On 5/14/2020 at 9:23 PM, Marty Roth said:

Got mine yesterday-

Nice note by Steve Moskowitz about Rene Dreyfuss,

my (very?) distant cousin

Have to get that book on Rene Dreyfus,. Hope it goes into the details of how driving in the Indy 500 saved his life and his family.

Bob 

Bob,

The best book on Dreyfus is "My Two Lives," his autobiography written with the late Bev Kimes. A friend surprised my with a copy as a gift and it turned out to be signed by Dreyfus! Wish Bev had signed it as well and really wish I could have met Rene and had a meal at Le Chanteclair.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reminder, I have a copy of that book, I'll find it tomorrow.

Here is a section of #8 connecting rod from the Type 59 Bugatti Rene drove. It broke in the late 1970s. The Type 59 on the Pebble Beach Tour 2019.

Bob 

DSCF8216.JPG

DSCF2739.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 4:40 PM, Terry Bond said:

Couldn't put it down!  Going through again this evening.  What a lot of great content!  Like holding history in you hands.

Terry

I especially liked Steve Rossi's "Swedish Meatballs" article and seeing the 1972 Volvo 1800ES owned by our fellow Tidewater Region members Bob & Linda Pellerin.  I'd love to own it or the other car in the article, Webster & Kari Peterson's 1969 Saab Sonett.  Both are great cars.

May 23 and I haven't received mine yet.  Any explanation  as to why there is such a disparity in mailings or is it because I am in Texas?

I'm in NJ and don't have it yet, either.  I got my Horseless Carriage Gazette almost two weeks after my son in PA and Bob Coiro on Long Island got theirs.  I could blame the problems associated with the COVIDiocy, but these delays from the Morristown PO long predate the pandemic.

The mail service has been under pressure on multiple fronts because of the Covid-19. For thirty of my forty thee year postal career I answered questions and tried to guide businesses. I'm retired but the animus and the misinformation is often so compelling that I have to respond. I will try to enclose some of what I contributed to a Studebaker Driver's Club thread.

• For as long as I can remember I've felt the need to come to the aid of my former employer the USPS. Before now my experience has allowed me to answer most questions. Whether or not the facts were able to resonate with questioner, was a different matter, that is until now. What we and the USPS are experiencing is so unprecedented that an educated guess is all that I can muster.

In the past I've responded with information regarding the partnership between the publishers, printer and the USPS. Periodical Mail is the service by which the "Turning Wheels" is delivered to us. It is a high priority service, but does not demand the same level of priority service that "News" requires, which is published weekly or better. Printers have a a schedule, but they have a whole month to print and present to the PO for entrance into the system. The printer can also truck a drop to other PO's to save on postage. In the past I have been assured that a single drop, over several days, at a single PO is the norm.

Remember the PO depends on the airlines, UPS and FedEx to transport all priority types of mail destined for areas beyond three hundred miles away. Under normal circumstances this relationship works to the advantage of airlines, the PO and the patron. Mail service helps to subsidize the airlines, and helps to keep ticket prices reasonable. The network operates within the scheduling of the airlines' flight schedules. To work it requires dependable comprehensive service throughout the country and around the world. To achieve proper routing a sophisticated program referred to as "Star-Ship" An airline provides the PO with a flight schedule every day. That data is entered into the program, daily. All addresses are read automatically and a delivery bar code is printed on each piece. From this BC a reader, reads and applies a routing tag. The routing is time sensitive, rather then straight line of travel. That's why a piece of mail leaving Seattle may be routed through Denver, Atlanta and finally it's destination in NY.

In the past where there has been a regional snafu it's almost always because of a blizzard or wildfire etc. If there is a prolonged flight stoppage the PO hits the roads with it's trucks. With the situation we have today, where SeaTac airport (Seattle-Tacoma) has experienced a 95% reduction in flights this would be my guess as to what the problem is in the PNW, and other areas as well.

Anyone still with me?

Bill

• Edit
    •  
Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 2