AACA Magazine arrived

Terry Bond

Couldn't put it down!  Going through again this evening.  What a lot of great content!  Like holding history in you hands.

Terry

• Like 2

And, it arrived in my new Mailbox too!   I got tired of looking for a suitable old car mailbox, so I painted my own.  It's a little bigger too for larger ebay packages.

Terry

Mailbox.jpg

• Like 1

I especially enjoyed West Peterson's "Somewhere East of Eden" article on page 10 about tracing the history of his family's 1930 Packard 7-34 

Speedster 8.  Tracing ancestry of a car was as intricate a job as is done on the PBS program "Finding Your Roots".  Automotive Detective/Editor 

did great job and I was sure it would be my favorite article of this issue

That was true until I got to the Dennis Upton article on page 46.  "1940 Ford Standard  Lowell Todd's Car", which was also a automotive historical 

tale.  Now I have dueling contenders for favorite story and I have not yet read the cover story about the 1942 Chrysler Royal on page 50.

AACA's Antique Automobile and Hemming's Classic Car are my two favorite magazines.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Received mine at home yesterday.  Unfortunately I left my glasses at the shop and the only thing I need them for is reading.  I didn't get a chance to read it last evening.  Today my Son received his copy here at the shop and guess what...my glasses are at home.

Got mine yesterday-

Nice note by Steve Moskowitz about Rene Dreyfuss,

my (very?) distant cousin

I think this last issue is one of the very best West has put together since he's been editor of the AA. A terrific mix of wonderful content.

Doesn't hurt that I just finished reading "Faster" nor that I know the Peterson boat tail so well, and not just because I stored it for Don in my basement in Chamblee, GA, for a year or two (along with two of his other cars: a late V16 Cadillac and an early Karmann-Ghia).

Bravo, West! Keep up the great work!

On 5/14/2020 at 9:23 PM, Marty Roth said:

Got mine yesterday-

Nice note by Steve Moskowitz about Rene Dreyfuss,

my (very?) distant cousin

Have to get that book on Rene Dreyfus,. Hope it goes into the details of how driving in the Indy 500 saved his life and his family.

Bob 

Bob,

The best book on Dreyfus is "My Two Lives," his autobiography written with the late Bev Kimes. A friend surprised my with a copy as a gift and it turned out to be signed by Dreyfus! Wish Bev had signed it as well and really wish I could have met Rene and had a meal at Le Chanteclair.

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 5/13/2020 at 4:40 PM, Terry Bond said:

Couldn't put it down!  Going through again this evening.  What a lot of great content!  Like holding history in you hands.

Terry

I especially liked Steve Rossi's "Swedish Meatballs" article and seeing the 1972 Volvo 1800ES owned by our fellow Tidewater Region members Bob & Linda Pellerin.  I'd love to own it or the other car in the article, Webster & Kari Peterson's 1969 Saab Sonett.  Both are great cars.

I'm in NJ and don't have it yet, either.  I got my Horseless Carriage Gazette almost two weeks after my son in PA and Bob Coiro on Long Island got theirs.  I could blame the problems associated with the COVIDiocy, but these delays from the Morristown PO long predate the pandemic.

The mail service has been under pressure on multiple fronts because of the Covid-19. For thirty of my forty thee year postal career I answered questions and tried to guide businesses. I'm retired but the animus and the misinformation is often so compelling that I have to respond. I will try to enclose some of what I contributed to a Studebaker Driver's Club thread.

• For as long as I can remember I've felt the need to come to the aid of my former employer the USPS. Before now my experience has allowed me to answer most questions. Whether or not the facts were able to resonate with questioner, was a different matter, that is until now. What we and the USPS are experiencing is so unprecedented that an educated guess is all that I can muster.

In the past I've responded with information regarding the partnership between the publishers, printer and the USPS. Periodical Mail is the service by which the "Turning Wheels" is delivered to us. It is a high priority service, but does not demand the same level of priority service that "News" requires, which is published weekly or better. Printers have a a schedule, but they have a whole month to print and present to the PO for entrance into the system. The printer can also truck a drop to other PO's to save on postage. In the past I have been assured that a single drop, over several days, at a single PO is the norm.

Remember the PO depends on the airlines, UPS and FedEx to transport all priority types of mail destined for areas beyond three hundred miles away. Under normal circumstances this relationship works to the advantage of airlines, the PO and the patron. Mail service helps to subsidize the airlines, and helps to keep ticket prices reasonable. The network operates within the scheduling of the airlines' flight schedules. To work it requires dependable comprehensive service throughout the country and around the world. To achieve proper routing a sophisticated program referred to as "Star-Ship" An airline provides the PO with a flight schedule every day. That data is entered into the program, daily. All addresses are read automatically and a delivery bar code is printed on each piece. From this BC a reader, reads and applies a routing tag. The routing is time sensitive, rather then straight line of travel. That's why a piece of mail leaving Seattle may be routed through Denver, Atlanta and finally it's destination in NY.

In the past where there has been a regional snafu it's almost always because of a blizzard or wildfire etc. If there is a prolonged flight stoppage the PO hits the roads with it's trucks. With the situation we have today, where SeaTac airport (Seattle-Tacoma) has experienced a 95% reduction in flights this would be my guess as to what the problem is in the PNW, and other areas as well.

Anyone still with me?

Bill

• Edit
    •  
Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 2

May 27 at 4 pm.  Checked the mail and still no AACA magazine.  Has anyone else still not received the magazine?  You can make excuses for the Post Office but something is still wrong in the system.

Northern California here and no issue received yet.  Must be getting set aside for the next shipment at all of the connections between here and the printer.

1 minute ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Ugh!  So sorry to hear.  They WERE mailed but I am letting our printer know of the issue.  Normally they tell us that everything should arrive in 20 days.  They were shipped by 5/12.  If by March 32 you don't get a copy let us know at national HQ. :) 

Is March 32 like a triple secret leap year?

I haven't received either of mine yet, the one at home or the one at the shop, but I usually don't notice when they show up until someone puts it on my desk.

Out of curiosity and not having my copy yet, I call a guy I know (can't say where or who or he will get in big trouble) at one of the USPS rrgional sorting centers a lot of the pubs I work with get mailed from. He said it's a mess and way off schedule.  The comingled direct zip grouped magazines are getting done but at least 5 days longer than normal ( these are bundled with X number going to a zip code the X is a minimum of 6 if I remember correctly) If yours falls in a Secional center facilit ( first 3 of zip being the same and again with an X number of copies) it is running up to 10 days late. If not in either of those good luck when it will arrive as it is now being delivered by very slow moving snail mail.  Way slower than the old mail normal times.  C19 has desimated the system plus a large number of employees just don't show up and there is nothing the USPS system can do as they can not replace them.  They will get mailed and hopefully new stuff coming in to the system doesn't get stacked on top the old.  Hang in there it will be worth it.

Dave S 

I guess what I posted was either too much to read or too hard to understand. The same questions that I tried to answer continue to be asked.

As an aside the problems caused by C19 to the airlines that are the primary transmission source have seemed to be under control, at least for now. The Studebaker drivers Club monthly magazine seems to be back on schedule. Some recipients received the May and June issues the same week. I want to make something clear "Periodical Mail" is not a priority service and the schedule that we are used to getting, is much better then what the PO is required to give. This is an every other month  magazine and as such does not require the service of "News." 

It is not easy to be suddenly faced with having to revamp the whole distribution network, on the fly, no pun intended. That's what the PO had to deal with as 95% of their air transport (commercial airlines) went missing. Trucking is the only backup readily available on short notice. Trucking across country does not look anything like the normal network that we are used to seeing. An OTR truck, because of limited capacity and driver availability must make dozens of stops as it goes across country. At each drop location there may be additional mail to pick up. An airliner flies to a single, cross country location where it is offloaded and the mail processed.  "Periodical Mail," as I mentioned, is not at the top of the food  chain so any delay can be measured in days, or weeks rather then the normal hours. Never, during modern times, has there been a universal breakdown in the transportation system like the current one we are experiencing today. 

Even during WWll mail continued to flow because the trains continued to run, because of the rail service was nationalized to better serve the war effort. Time was needed to organize a concerted response to the nation's needs. But the PO had time to develop a response. The mail service simply did not have a contingency plan that would include an immediate 95% drop in it's transportation capacity.  We are living through unprecedented times. 

Bill 

• Like 1

Mine arrived yesterday, 5-28.  This is not unusual for me either although CT is not really what most would consider "far flung" this has been typical for years, with various publications.  I don't expect any answers but assume its a regional/local issue. 😕

Still no magazine I guess I need to call and ask for another one.  I don't care when it comes as long as it does.  I enjoy them cover to cover.  This much time is strange though.  I belong to some book swap clubs and send and receive books via media mail, which is really cheap so I assume travel via the USPS cheapest means of transportation.  I've shipped and received books to and from all fifty states probably, and nothing in my memory has taken as long as these AACA magazines seem to take?

If you have not received your magazine folks please email lshetter@aaca.org  and she will get one out to you.  It would help to give her your member number.  I cannot answer the reasons why.  The are all shipped out normally over 3 days.  We only have one file and there is no explainable reason that you do not have yours.  We normally get 20 or so each time we ship sent back to us with bad addresses and we attempt to find out the answers.  Other than that ???  There is a USPS office right in our printer's building as they ship so many magazines.

Yours was special, I personally had it mailed 185th class!  Sorry, Ed...don't bother to call.  I will handle personally so you will owe me! :)  It will go out Monday.  Even our staff got their magazines late this issue, we are beginning to surmise that COVID MIGHT have had something to do with this but not sure. 

• Like 1