Sign in to follow this  
starfireelvis

Proper Battery Maintenance “Tender” for Absorbed Glass Mat Reproduction Battery

Posted (edited)

Just made an investment into a “60K” 12-Volt Reproduction Battery, which is an “Absorbed Glass Mat” (AGM) battery.

As these are quite expensive, I want to make sure it lasts as long as possible. I did get the attached paperwork regarding this type of battery, with the warning not to use a standard battery tender.   I have learned that there is a specific type of battery tender that can be used for these particular batteries.   If so, what can anyone who has had a successful experience recommend?

And yes, I can plainly read the recommendations on the paper what I can do per their recommendations.  I am exploring my options and again, am looking for the solution to the best long-life care.   I live in an area where the cars are generally stored from November through March.

Thanks!

Mike

226EE315-1F90-475A-A8FD-669B1FB00EBD.jpeg

Edited by starfireelvis
To correct typo (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I have several Granite “tenders” that I use for Antique Battery gel batteries and new stuff AGM. Although a bit less than 10 amps I am not seeing deteriorating with AGM batteries. I wasn’t using it on my truck AGM batteries and lost two because with this virus just short uptown post office and market trips this winter killed them. I now am using one on them weekly

i also am hearing good comments from folks on another forum  of Ctek charger/maintainers

robert

I bought a Battery Tender Plus, after I called them and talked with them. then called the battery manufacturer (Optima 6v Red) and they agreed Battery Tender was the one to get. has a microprocessor, 4step charging, and other features, plus a 10 year warranty !! 6+ years and been very happy with it, i have a 6v and a 12v version !!

BTP6v.PNG.90fbba157fb946551ae3d20db1af5074.PNG

Shumacher also makes some really nice maintainers that i considered. 

there is a difference between a battery charger and a battery maintainer/tender !!

The Granite  Digital  as well as CTEK and Schumacher maintainers perform multi step functions and discriminate between battery types. A couple or so years ago GEL Battery Tenders had different units for lead acid and gel and were distinguished by different part numbers. I have long forgotten which model senses GEL vs lead acid. I suspect they have updated the software to sense GEL from other batteries

Robert