Rack and pinion replacement

Spazzaroth

So I'm halfway through replacing my rack and pinion.  I've got the old one out and I need to get that plastic grommet (the one that seats the boot to the steering column) off of the old one and put it on the new one.   Does anybody have any advice on how to get that thing off without breaking it? 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:01 AM, DAVES89 said:

Been a long time since I swapped out a rack while on the floor. I am pretty sure I will never do it again.

If this reatta needs another rack and pinion I'm going to drive it into the bayou.  🙂

When I helped my buddy swap out the tranny on the old Black we did a rack and pinion and also when the Red got an engine and tranny swap we did it for that one too.  But I won't do just the rack again.

But then again at almost age 64 I won't do engines or trannys anymore either...

2 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

But then again at almost age 64 I won't do engines or trannys anymore either...

At almost 69 I'm about ready to draw the line at doing anything that requires laying on my back under the car. I still change my oil but I've been thinking about getting someone to do that too.  If anything major happens to my Reatta it will probably be looking for a new home. At the prices Reattas are selling for the new home might be called Pull-A-Part or something similar.  :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

At almost 69 I'm about ready to draw the line at doing anything that requires laying on my back under the car. I still change my oil but I've been thinking about getting someone to do that too.  If anything major happens to my Reatta it will probably be looking for a new home. At the prices Reattas are selling for the new home might be called Pull-A-Part or something similar.  :)

At age 71 and having vertigo, there's no way I get under any car now-a-days.  It takes too long to get over the nauseous/head spin feeling.  I do miss wrenching on my cars, though. 

• Like 2

"t almost 69 I'm about ready to draw the line at doing anything that requires laying on my back under the car" boy the younger generation sure is soft, swapped the reversed secondary O2 sensors on one and doing a fuel tank drain/replace pump and filter on the other. Only hard part is getting back up when done.At least all the blue needs is replacing the fan control module and that is on top.

• Like 1

Don't give up too early.........next month I will be 81,  seem like just yesterday I had a big 50th birthday party.

My problem is my body cannot preform some of the things my mind has planned.

I will change my own oil for as long as I can hold that 15mm wrench......mainly because I hear so many horror stories

about oil change places ....strip pan plugs,  or forget to tighten them  or recently my grandson had his changed and they did not tighten

the oil filter.

Good help is hard to find.

• Like 1

Well I don't think I'll be doing it again.  But this is doing my head in... This fitting will not thread at all.   the old fitting will thread into the new rack.  The new hose will thread into the old rack and pinion.  But the new hose will not thread into the new rack.  I have been trying to get this fitting to thread for 2 days.  No joke.  It is identical to the old hose in every way.  And don't tell me to use the old hose because I cut it to get the old rack out.  I'm totally stuck.  I worked offshore for 10 years and have had less trouble with hoses and fittings that have been sitting in seawater for 30 years.

powersteeringsupply.jpg

Turns out there was a protective cap on the inside of the fitting that I didn't know was there.  It took me three days of straight work to have my father-in-law figure that one out.  I don't know how I get out of bed in the morning.