AC part question

mcmasterson

I think that's the muffler. On my 67 it was rusted at the bottom. They are hard to find, and some people do without them as they were made to suppress noise/vibration when the AC was running ( better to hear this from an expert). I took mine to the blacksmith and we cut off the bottom 2", then welded a new bottom. Seemed to always work well.On the 67 there's supposed to be a heavy rubber "jacket" around it to control condensation. I can see your jacket in the photo; don't lose it. 

As Rocky said that's the muffler and doesn't need service unless its rusted through on bottom as many are. That foam cover is an awesome water trap from water that runs down between fender and hood. The receiver drier is readily available. New ones or for those who are very particular about maintaining authentic factory appearance, an original drier can be serviced by sending it to Original Air Group www.originalair.com . They cut it open, put new desiccant in and weld it back closed

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  So sounds like finding a replacement muffler is going to be nearly impossible?  Cant imagine I'm not the only one who has had this issue.  I saw rocky5517 get his welded on.  Any other ideas? Do other GM cars have similar viable options?

Not impossible by any means and yes many have had this issue. I replaced my first one clear back in the 80s. Just look in dry arid climate states like TX,AZ,NM,NV,CA,WY for example. 67, 68 and I believe 69 are same.

11 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Not impossible by any means and yes many have had this issue. I replaced my first one clear back in the 80s. Just look in dry arid climate states like TX,AZ,NM,NV,CA,WY for example. 67, 68 and I believe 69 are same.

Thanks for the reply.  Looks like the guys working on my AC are going to fabricate a new one for me. Cut the top off and gut the parts and put it into a new canister. Hope it all works!  Will post photos when its done.  Thanks!