WANTED - Frame or front section of frame

danritz

I have a 1928 Dodge Brothers coupe frame that I'm beginning to work on. The front 30" of my frame had been torn up and poorly repaired to the point I don't think that I can bring it back from the dead, and may need to replace the front portion of the frame rails. So... I'm looking for a donor (or replacement) frame, or front rail sections from one. The rails are kinda husky - about 5" tall in the area where the new and old sections will meet. I have no problem buying a complete frame if that's what it takes to get the front 30" or so.  I'd obviously prefer a '28 Dodge Brothers frame, but am open to ANY YEAR OF DB, OR ANY OTHER MAKE that I can get to work.
Here's a picture of what I'm looking for. The leaf spring brackets are not needed - I can install & use my old ones.

Thanks!

_bare frame 04.jpg

Edited by danritz (see edit history)

Been there done that - not much fun (with a 129 too).  128/129 chassis will be the same at the front across the different body types but I don’t think there are too many around.

I think the dumb irons may be similar with the standard 6 but that’s probably it.

5 hours ago, RichBad said:

Been there done that - not much fun (with a 129 too).  128/129 chassis will be the same at the front across the different body types but I don’t think there are too many around.

I think the dumb irons may be similar with the standard 6 but that’s probably it.

Yep, I've been looking for quite some time - 128/129's seem to be scarce indeed.  Thanks!

48 minutes ago, dc-8dave said:

Hello Danritz,

What part of the planet do you reside on? A replacement frame is by far the best way to go and if you live in the Untied States there are bound to be some perverts fornicating one around somewhere. The biggest hassle is transport from where it's at to your location.

I'm in Wisconsin, but my reach is obviously worldwide via the net.  Maybe there are bound to be 128/129 frames out there, but so far any owners have remained underground.  And I've run a comprehensive online & local search for the last several months (AACA, Dodge Brother Clubs, a gazillion assorted Facebook groups, Facebook Marketplace, eBay, local clubs, etc., etc); there are no 128/129 frames to be had.  Also, I checked in detail the measurements of earlier frames; not even close, off considerably in all three dimensions.  The search continues...

Edited by danritz (see edit history)

If you live in an area where they stretch truck frames, there should be a frame rail fabricator. They can copy and rivet  as per your sample. This is a way out if you do not have success finding a replacement frame. Good luck, Rob

5 hours ago, vintchry said:

If you live in an area where they stretch truck frames, there should be a frame rail fabricator. They can copy and rivet  as per your sample. This is a way out if you do not have success finding a replacement frame. Good luck, Rob

Thanks, Rob, I'll check into that.  Much appreciated!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, 5C Farms said:

HI   I have a complete frame with springs, 4 wheel hubs, beat up gas tank.  I have been told that it is a 1928 Dodge.  I would be glad to sell.  

Thanks for responding.  A few questions...

1.  Where are you located?

2.  Is the frame from a sedan or coupe/roadster?

3.  What is the wheelbase (center of front axle to center of rear axle)?

4.  Would you be willing to sell just the bare frame and, if so, how much would you ask for it?

Thank you!

Dan

I am 6 miles south of Mineral Point, WI 53565

My Dad told me the frame was from a 28 Dodge. That is all I know about it.

If I did it right, the wheelbase is 108"

I won't know how to take it apart.  Just make me an offer as is.

NOTE:  I have a skid steer so I can set it on a trailer for you.

Thanks.

Bob

1 hour ago, 5C Farms said:

I am 6 miles south of Mineral Point, WI 53565

My Dad told me the frame was from a 28 Dodge. That is all I know about it.

If I did it right, the wheelbase is 108"

I won't know how to take it apart.  Just make me an offer as is.

NOTE:  I have a skid steer so I can set it on a trailer for you.

Thanks.

Bob

Hi, Bob Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

Would you be able to e-mail me some pictures, please?  My e-mail address is danritz@pair.com.

1.  Is there any damage to the frame?

2.  Is there any serious rust (deep pitting, etc.)?

I have no idea what the bare frame is worth.  Again, I have use only for the bare frame, but have no problem taking the complete unit.  Can you give me a ballpark idea of how much you'd want for it, please?

Thank you!

Dan

• 2 years later...

Did you find a frame? I have a complete barn find frame only. Still has cloth brake shoes. Appears to be 1928 coupe - anything more not sure on. One drum still has partial wood wheel spokes on tact. 

Located near Portage wi.  

Can send pics 

Madameblue2011@gmail.com

"I think the dumb irons may be similar..."

RichBad, would you please not refer to the front horns of the frame in such pejorative terms!  That is tantamount to hate speech!  The politically-correct term for the front frame horns is "knowledge challenged".  Thank you.

20 minutes ago, 22touring said:

"I think the dumb irons may be similar..."

RichBad, would you please not refer to the front horns of the frame in such pejorative terms!  That is tantamount to hate speech!  The politically-correct term for the front frame horns is "knowledge challenged".  Thank you.

Many motor vehicle terms originated in the Carriage era and “Dumb Irons” is one of them. Far from being derogatory this term is quite correct and describes the curved chassis rail extending out to support the spring suspension shackle.