Sign in to follow this  
Taylormade

Felt Seals

Does anyone have a source for felt seals that can be bought individually?  Looking for a seal that fits the driveshaft on a 32 Dodge Brothers DL.  Everyone I can find on the net is either a manufacturer or a company in China.  I found a few that are the wrong size, but the seller didn't seem to offer other choices.  it seems they still make them, but I can't find where to buy them.  Any help appreciated.

Is it something you can fabricate yourself? McMaster Carr has just about any variety of felt you can want.

• Like 1

• Try lester Harris in minded Nevada you can google his phone number,he specializes in antique and vintage auto parts and may have and o.e.m. Seal
  • Like 1

Olson's Gaskets just custom-made quite a few for me for my '22 Marmon.  I just needed to provide the shaft diameter, housing diameter, and thickness.  Reasonably priced in my opinion, and fast turn-around.

• Like 2

Have you tried your local bearing supply store? They have a extensive range of bearings and seals. There is a good chance your seal is a standard off the shelf item that is still available. If not they may have a suitable material to make a new one. Find bearing supply places in the yellow pages.

• Like 1

When I was servicing the rear axle on my Pierce Arrow after I lost an axle seal, I searched all over for heavy automotive felt.

I finally gave up and installed some modern lip seals that had to be slightly modified.

Then one day at a specialty hardware store about 30 miles away I saw heavy duty automotive felt being sold by the foot.

I bought some in a few thicknesses just to keep on hand.

Long story short, if you have a specialty hardware place in your area, check with them, they may have what you need.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Roberts Motor Company?

• Like 1