neighbors...

nick8086

I don't know, this looks to be on a pretty busy street where there may be trucks and other noises.

I would expect that the lady just moved there.

It is fortunate to me that all the complainers around here have moved on.

The people that just moved in behind me have three or four teenagers (and friends) that have loud trucks.

So does the dad, I don't know them well yet but they are loud and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Another new neighbor a couple of hundred yards up the street is into rock crawlers and practices in the pasture. Its his place now so let them live their lives like we did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my village we had a truck terminal for sale at the end of a residential through street. A church was interested in buying the property and rezoning it to their house of worship. The village board decided the activity might be too noisy on Sunday mornings. A trucking company bought it. (A taxable trucking company)

Conniver is a word that doesn't get used enough these days.

Bernie

Well, there are two sides to this story. If he's running straight pipes that's one side. But if he is using it just once a day that's another.

This is exactly why I bought 100 acres and my nearest neighbor is about 800 feet away.

But even so my 800 foot neighbor, freshly moved from town, let me know he could hear my wife's one rooster crowing in the morning.

I pretended it was a compliment and said: " Yes isn't it great now that you are in the country and can enjoy the sounds and fresh air of country living."

He looked at me for a few seconds and dropped the subject.

I've also had people from a development a half mile away call  and complain that weed seeds from my fallow fields were getting in  their lawn. Oy Vey.....Bob

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Well, there are two sides to this story. If he's running straight pipes that's one side. But if he is using it just once a day that's another.

This is exactly why I bought 100 acres and my nearest neighbor is about 800 feet away.

But even so my 800 foot neighbor, freshly moved from town, let me know he could hear my wife's one rooster crowing in the morning.

I pretended it was a compliment and said: " Yes isn't it great now that you are in the country and can enjoy the sounds and fresh air of country living."

He looked at me for a few seconds and dropped the subject.

I've also had people from a development a half mile away call  and complain that weed seeds from my fallow fields were getting in  their lawn. Oy Vey.....Bob

Reminds me of the stories where a new subdivision is built out in the country next to a drag strip that's been there for decades, then the new homeowners try to get the strip shut down because it's too noisy. If you have a problem with that noise, why consider buying that house in the first place?

If you live in the middle of a city though, I think it's good to at least keep your neighbors in mind, especially if you have a loud car. Maybe at least put a muffler on it if it's a daily driver.

• Like 4

The car owner describes his car as a "race car" yet says he drives it every day to and from work.  He needs to leave for work a little earlier each morning so that he doesn't need a "race car" to make it to work on time.:rolleyes:   Race cars don't fare very well in daily street traffic, so maybe the problem will cure itself ... sooner than later.

Cheers,

Grog

Unfortunately issues like this can develop into a very sticky situation. Every municipality has noise ordinances and one call to the local building department will get a visit from an official with a decibel meter. If the building department works in conjunction with a code enforcement department or the police dept. it can get real nasty. All it will take is the local municipaliti's  to start writing noise citations and you have a neighborhood war. If he has what is basically a race car on the street he could be in a lot of trouble, no matter what he thinks. The law is on her side.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

The law is on her side.

True. But the absolute last thing you want is to get in a serious confrontation with a seriously vindictive neighbor. A few years ago a guy a few miles down the road emptied his revolver at his neighbor over some minor spat that festered over the years. ...............Bob

You just know that lady spent about three days screwing herself together enough to go talk to him, too. She knew it would be a confrontation and did all she could to keep it from escalating. What else can you do after that?

I have a neighbor who plays ridiculously loud music on Sundays. It's lockdown, everyone's trapped inside, so I'm cutting him some slack, but the day is going to come where I'm going to have to go have a talk with him. Hopefully being nice will succeed, but if not, what's the next step? I'm still pretty good at punching people, but I don't know if that will make him want to play his music any quieter. If he's like this guy who says, "Too bad, what are you gonna do about it?" what is the next step? Cops? They'll show up once, tell him not to do it, and that'll be it. After that, multiple complaints will make the complainant the problem, not the offender.

My point being, escalation doesn't usually result in a beneficial result for anyone. It's unlikely that the guy is willing to change his mufflers and the car is obviously too loud for a neighborhood. He could probably drive it differently to minimize the sound, but is he willing or able to do that? There are jerks who roar past my house with their Harleys at full throttle with open pipes and think it's badass, but every once in a while there's one with loud pipes who takes it easy because we live here and, hey, wow, it's not ear-splitting. You can definitely choose not to be a jerk if you have a loud vehicle. But you have to choose to accept that you're the problem and care enough to do something about it. Will this guy do that? Is he even able?

What's the right solution in this case? I don't know.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

What's the right solution in this case? I don't know.

The right solution WAS for both to have given a little. The guy should have said he'd do his best to be a good neighbor and the lady should have said thanks.

They were both hard core and confrontational. The lady NEVER should have threatened him. All that did was harden his resolve.

This likely won't end well since neither left themselves a graceful exit plan............Bob

• Like 2

If I heard it correctly that is Touhy Ave a major thoroughfare in the north/nw suburbs of Chicago up near Ohare airport. Road noise and airplane noise ( not so much right now) are also a big factor in that area. People have actually tried to stop air traffic at night for O’hare!  New housing developments back in the 70’s sued the airport authority but lost when the judge said “you knew the airport was there when you purchased the house”. That road has major traffic for both the morning and evening rush hours and heavy traffic most of the rest of the day. 
This is not going to end well for either party. 
dave s 

See if this link works, google street view, you can look around the neighborhood. I haven't quite figured out which house his is.  Four lane road with commercial on one side and old homes and small apartment buildings on the other side.

Street view -

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0119761,-87.7850818,3a,75y,180.05h,73.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s34fah53K_-JWdASZU-Ilmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Street map, Leaning Tower of Niles -

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0119761,-87.7850818,15z

West Touhy Ave and North Mobile Avenue

Screenshot (100).png

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

the absolute last thing you want is to get in a serious confrontation with a seriously vindictive neighbor.

Ask Kentucky Senator Rand Paul about that. The doctor who lives next door to him didn't like the pile of leaves (or whatever it was) that he left near their property line so he assaulted Paul (who is also a doctor) and broke a couple of his ribs, among other injuries. Paul is still having issues from the injuries and of course it ended up in court....

11 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Ask Kentucky Senator Rand Paul about that. The doctor who lives next door to him didn't like the pile of leaves (or whatever it was) that he left near their property line so he assaulted Paul (who is also a doctor) and broke a couple of his ribs, among other injuries. Paul is still having issues from the injuries and of course it ended up in court....

I would buy Rand Paul's neighbor beers for life if I could. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

True, Rand Paul got his butt kicked, but he also won a judgement of over $580,000 against his neighbor.

I don’t think my neighbor could hit hard enough to make $580,000 not totally worth it. 

My guess is that Rands doctor neighbor would be a bit more likely/able to pay the judgement. 

Rand and the doc have been arguing for years over the property line and crap they pile up there. Some reports said the doc finally got tired of what Rand was saying in the senate and said something and it escalated from there. I bet the doc though it was worth every penny.  
dave s 

• Haha 1

I'm betting that engine rattles the woman's house.  I would have asked the owner what he could to rectify the noise.  If it was unsatisfactory or he refused to do much of anything I would inquire with the police and the noise ordinance.   

Daniel Boone said if you can see the smoke from you neighbors chimney it is time to move.    

By looking at the video, it's obvious that he didn't build the car himself. The "pro street" fad ended years ago when peopled realized that although those type of cars looked hot, they couldn't be driven safely on the street. They hydroplane in wet weather and because of the rear distance between the tires were all over the road when caught in the road ruts. In fact some collector car insurance companies wouldn't insure those types of vehicles. I think this guy purchased someone's "white elephant" and might regret his purchase.

We had an issue with a neighbor a few years ago, but it pertain to speeding. We live on a cul de sac road with a speed limit of 30 mph, the neighbor lived two houses down and drove a BMW sports car. By the time he would pass my house, he had that car going well over 60 mph. After a few passes, I decided to introduce myself and explain to him that I have four children and there are other children that live on this street and very nicely asked if he could slow down. I got the " yes I well " reply. It continued....

I called the local / county police department, they came out and told me that they could not do anything unless they catch him in the act.  What ??  It continues..... My next call went to the NY State Police, the Trooper came to my home, I explain the situation.

The Trooper told me that he will take care of the situation right now..... he drove down to the neighbor and spoke to him...... case closed !

We have not had any issues with speeding on our street now for 6 or 7 years..... and the guy actually waves at me if I'm out in the yard doing work !  LOL

Steve

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

You can definitely choose not to be a jerk if you have a loud vehicle.

Unbelievable! They really have control over being a jerk? Come on. I thought their lifestyle forced then to be like their TV hero.

3 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

We had an issue with a neighbor a few years ago, but it pertain to speeding. We live on a cul de sac road with a speed limit of 30 mph, the neighbor lived two houses down and drove a BMW sports car. By the time he would pass my house, he had that car going well over 60 mph. After a few passes, I decided to introduce myself and explain to him that I have four children and there are other children that live on this street and very nicely asked if he could slow down. I got the " yes I well " reply. It continued....

I called the local / county police department, they came out and told me that they could not do anything unless they catch him in the act.  What ??  It continues..... My next call went to the NY State Police, the Trooper came to my home, I explain the situation.

The Trooper told me that he will take care of the situation right now..... he drove down to the neighbor and spoke to him...... case closed !

We have not had any issues with speeding on our street now for 6 or 7 years..... and the guy actually waves at me if I'm out in the yard doing work !  LOL

Steve

Your trooper sounds a lot like our County Sheriff.   He will talk to people and essentially tell them to knock it off, because if he catches them it won't be good.   He is a professional officer who happens to be elected.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Is he running it with open headers?

It didn't sound that loud in  the video.

But it certainly shouldn't be a daily driver.

I suppose after a few fill ups the newness will wear off.

He's like the "power parkers" at some of the car shows I go to. They need to park their car where everybody can see it, so they get up at 4 AM and let their car idle in the motel parking lot for 10 minutes, before they head to the fairgrounds. They don't care that they have ticked off everyone in the motel, it's all about me, me, me!

5 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

He's like the "power parkers" at some of the car shows I go to. They need to park their car where everybody can see it, so they get up at 4 AM and let their car idle in the motel parking lot for 10 minutes, before they head to the fairgrounds. They don't care that they have ticked off everyone in the motel, it's all about me, me, me!

The engine rev guys:

tenor.gif?itemid=10579998

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2020 at 1:40 PM, AL1630 said:

Reminds me of the stories where a new subdivision is built out in the country next to a drag strip that's been there for decades, then the new homeowners try to get the strip shut down because it's too noisy. If you have a problem with that noise, why consider buying that house in the first place?

There is a landfill in our rural township (36 sq miles, 5k residents, not a single gas station, traffic signal, etc).  The landfill has been operating since at least the late 1950s but of course, now is much larger and corporate owned.  The benefit to our community is the 'hosting fees' which brings a regular and financially beneficial income to our community.  We have the best fire apparatus and roads in the area and a very healthy treasury (upwards of $10 million) plus have purchased a couple large parcels to retain as nature preserves and future development for parks or municipal service locations.  Residents have the opportunity also for (almost) unlimited free disposal. 

Located on the far NE corner of our township, it doesn't bother me one bit as the wind blows into the next adjoining township; still mostly rural but significantly more populated and offering most urban services.  The homes there are significantly pricier and not unexpected, homes and even an elementary school were constructed just east of the large, busy and often smelly landfill.

What comes next?  Of course, complaints about the smell and how the landfill should be shut down. "For the Children"  Sorry idiots, guess you shouldn't have bought or built there.  Mount Trashmore is clearly visible for miles (but not from my house).  I looked at a home downwind from the landfill before relocating to where I am now.  It was a beautiful piece of property, the right size and price, great trees but you could see and smell 'the dump'.  Un unh!!!

5cb77b6734e70.image.jpg

andfill_draws_crowd_and_complaints.jpg

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Neighbors - Do they really  care...  If I have three car trailers in the back yard.?? Now I put up a 96K garage.. wow now my property tax will go up...@@@  They will get the same tax upgrade.

My wife is happy I do not have 3 car trailers an two cars parked in the backyard..

Back to the 80;s My dad put a rare 55 chewy two door in the back yard and everyone wanted it gone  - I was 16 at the time.. I wish we still had it.. it had a floor shift.. 

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3611.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_5097.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)