40 special running board/fender gap

Today I took my boards to the sandblaster today. Got them back an hour later and when I got home I decided to do a test fit. Loose on the brackets I noticed a gap front and back of about 1 1/4".Is this normal? Don't have the rubber mat on yet, Seems like quite a gap. You guys with 40s let me know.

Posted (edited)

when I was building my running boards, @Gary W sent me some very helpful pictures with the gaps he had on his running boards. in the pictures, his are freshly vulcanized, but is a good reference

it didn't quote right, so I just copy and pasted from my thread where he posted these

"Here are a few photos of the finished running boards on my '37 Special.  There is just about a 3/4" clearance everywhere, and that's with the rubber vulcanized on the board.  I basically loosened up all the mounting nuts and bolts, positioned the board so the gaps were consistent following all the fender contours and tightened it up.  I hope these help!"

DSC_3929.thumb.jpg.9ad0eda3b6cc171456a58a16db85756d.jpg

DSC_3933.thumb.jpg.f1c74e4774b57067c42de25f1f9fdda5.jpg

DSC_3936.thumb.jpg.d600733e4cf80fde01124a7615b89885.jpg

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

Well that must be the way it was designed. I never really gave it much thought till I tried a test fit. I take it there was'nt any big sponge rubber seal there? Well I'll just make the best of it.Last early car I did was a 37 Plymouth coupe. The bottom of all the fenders are notched so the boards go under for a flush fit, I figured Buick was the same.