Jack Welch

2021 BCA National Meet/s- Concord, North Carolina June 30-July 3; Strongsville Ohio , July 7-10

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

At a time when the old car hobby and the entire Country is going through a great period of uncertainty. I am pleased to announced that the BCA National Meet for 2021 has has been modified with some first ever changes. The Meet will take place on two consecutive weekends. Part one will be in Charlotte (Concord) North Carolina as had been previously announced. The dates  will be changed to June 30 through July 3. The host hotel will remain the same . Part two will be held in Strongsville Ohio on July 7 through July 10. The host hotel in Strongsville is not ready to accept reservations at this time. The National Meet and the BOD both went through a lot of serious discussion about whether this was a good or a bad idea. Many Americans and BCA members are frothing at the bit, to get back to some type of normalcy. The Northeast Ohio Chapter had done a superior job in planning a National Meet. Early registrations and hotel room bookings showed that this was to be a big meet. There was no fair (or financially feasible) way to push all other meets back a year. Thinking outside the box, the host chapters for 2020 and 2021 as well as the National meet Committee decided to have two meets in a row. Possibilities of having them at opposite end of the Summer or a few weeks apart were discussed, but there is currently a frenzy of hotel bookings going on by groups that have had to cancel things for this year. As it turned out, we chose the only weekends possible to give both Chapters a chance to host a National Meet. This situation will give members a chance to attend either two Meets or just attend one Meet. There are a lot of details and planning going on to make this happen, with possible discounts for attending two meets etc. It is even possible that she group may want to set up a tour between Meets. The good news is that a lot of planing is now going on, but we do. have both of those dates locked in.  There is much uncertainty going on in the Country at the moment, and the crystal balls of the NMC and the BOD are no better than anyone else's . It is known that the financial impact many of us are currently feeling may affect future meets, no matter how much planing goes in to them. All we can do is to try and give BCA members the best product we can. We know that some people will love this idea and some will not. I personally think that if the National situation resolves itself , we could have a great Buick Summer in 2021. I would ask anyone responding to this thread to be respectful to the Club volunteers that have worked hard to try and put together a great Anniversary party for the BCA's 50th National Meet celebration.Further details will be posted here as they become available.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Benefits of AACA Membership.

As one of the meet Co-Chairs I'm very excited to make this BCA Dual Super Meet and 50th National Meet Celebration a unique event for all to remember. Can't wait to share details as we get them locked in. It's going to be great!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It would be real special if there were some sort of official BCA caravan set up to guide folks from the NC meet to the OH meet...maybe suggesting a favored route and hotel stays between the two....leaving Sunday morning from NC and arriving Tuesday afternoon in OH.  

Edited by dship (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben and Dave,

 

Never been on the I-77 area, so am looking forward to including some side trips, or perhaps all byways, as opposed to interstates.   Should be an exciting concept.

 

Good tp see this work between NMC and the involved local organizers.

 

John 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you please post the info for the Charlotte meet - host hotel info ect, I believe I had it, but since there is nothing to do in upstate NY but clean and refile during the lock down, I guess it got tossed - thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim Milewski said:

Would you please post the info for the Charlotte meet - host hotel info ect, I believe I had it, but since there is nothing to do in upstate NY but clean and refile during the lock down, I guess it got tossed - thanks

We will do that as soon as our contract is signed and they can accept reservations , glad you are interested, it should be a great time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

in 2012 the hotel would not accept reservations until under 12 mo from show date and even then we had a small delay i will post on here when they will open reservations.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$10 says attendance is split 80/20 between Charlotte and Cleveland. I know everyone has the best of intentions, and that's good for the club. However, I bet far more people will be willing and able to go to Charlotte given its location and prominence. Add in the fact that both meets take place during the week instead of a weekend and 4th of July falls right in the middle, and, well, everyone will already have plans for the days leading up to Cleveland or they'll be exhausted from being in Charlotte. Nobody will want to be on the road for the 4th, they'll want to be home. And honestly, who is going to load up a trailer to do both and spend 10-12 days on the road? Few, if any, vendors will do both meets and they'll hedge their bets and attend the one with the most people likely to show up. That'll be Charlotte.

 

I was planning to do both meets, but there's no way I can if they're right on top of each other like this. I was looking forward to the drive to Charlotte for a long trip, but I can't take two weeks off and I certainly can't skip Strongsville. I won't be the only one who can't afford to do both and who is now very disappointed that my only choice is the one that will be under-attended.

 

Again, I know everyone tried to do their best to find a solution, but NEOhio really got screwed here. If they get 20 cars that aren't locals, I'll be shocked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

$10 says attendance is split 80/20 between Charlotte and Cleveland. I know everyone has the best of intentions, and that's good for the club. However, I bet far more people will be willing and able to go to Charlotte given its location and prominence. Add in the fact that both meets take place during the week instead of a weekend and 4th of July falls right in the middle, and, well, everyone will already have plans for the days leading up to Cleveland or they'll be exhausted from being in Charlotte. Nobody will want to be on the road for the 4th, they'll want to be home. And honestly, who is going to load up a trailer to do both and spend 10-12 days on the road? Few, if any, vendors will do both meets and they'll hedge their bets and attend the one with the most people likely to show up. That'll be Charlotte.

 

I was planning to do both meets, but there's no way I can if they're right on top of each other like this. I was looking forward to the drive to Charlotte for a long trip, but I can't take two weeks off and I certainly can't skip Strongsville. I won't be the only one who can't afford to do both and who is now very disappointed that my only choice is the one that will be under-attended.

 

Again, I know everyone tried to do their best to find a solution, but NEOhio really got screwed here. If they get 20 cars that aren't locals, I'll be shocked

 

Matt that's an interesting perspective cause we (those who have been involved in the discussions) all feel that Strongsville will actually be the much better attended show. This is due to most of the BCA's actual membership population being much closer to the Cleveland area. Generally folks only go within 500 mi of the show and that means Strongsville has a much higher membership population base to draw from and Charlotte really only drawings from NC and GA BCA population (very little SC, VA, WV, TN BCA population in the grand scheme of things) with the heat will be the worse attended show. Also ROA is the week before CLT so some may go to that skip a week and then go to Strongsville. We do feel a significant mass will only attend one show or the other, not both but if they do it only helps both shows. Financially it will be one meet so no chapter gets screwed financially if one show is affected by it.

 

So I'll take your $10 bet payable at the bar in Strongsville in the form of stiff drinks 🍸🍺🍻🥃🥤 Friday night July 9th. 😎  Either way I'm confident in a good event at both locations and we'll learn some lessons for the future when you never know when those lesson might come in handy.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are putting both on the calendar.   I can see a relaxed trip between the two sites.  Could be a great road trip.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

$10 says attendance is split 80/20 between Charlotte and Cleveland. I know everyone has the best of intentions, and that's good for the club. However, I bet far more people will be willing and able to go to Charlotte given its location and prominence. Add in the fact that both meets take place during the week instead of a weekend and 4th of July falls right in the middle, and, well, everyone will already have plans for the days leading up to Cleveland or they'll be exhausted from being in Charlotte. Nobody will want to be on the road for the 4th, they'll want to be home. And honestly, who is going to load up a trailer to do both and spend 10-12 days on the road? Few, if any, vendors will do both meets and they'll hedge their bets and attend the one with the most people likely to show up. That'll be Charlotte.

 

I was planning to do both meets, but there's no way I can if they're right on top of each other like this. I was looking forward to the drive to Charlotte for a long trip, but I can't take two weeks off and I certainly can't skip Strongsville. I won't be the only one who can't afford to do both and who is now very disappointed that my only choice is the one that will be under-attended.

 

Again, I know everyone tried to do their best to find a solution, but NEOhio really got screwed here. If they get 20 cars that aren't locals, I'll be shocked

You are on Buddy!!! You can buy Brian and I both a cold one!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack and Brian, it's a deal. Drinks are on me, maybe even a meal if you're hungry instead of just thirsty.

 

Brian, you've repeatedly demonstrated to me that you know what you're doing and have shown me that you can handle things differently (and better) when they're tough. I'll trust you here as well. I want both events to succeed, mostly for my friends who are working so hard to make the Strongsville meet a success. They're really working hard and it just feels like the spotlight is being stolen from them. The idea of a driving tour from Charlotte back to Cleveland is very appealing and if I could find a way to take all that time away from work, I'd do it just for that alone. I think it would be a great idea to make the drive an official part of the two-event week. We've offered our resources to NEOhio and hopefully we'll be able to help make it a success. If it's all one long event or there are people making the trek from Charlotte to Cleveland, Melanie and I will contribute something, perhaps a pre-party Monday evening at our place for early arrivals. We want to make it work.

 

Thanks for adjusting my attitude, gentlemen. We'll be there no matter what to help make it a success.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job on making a difficult decision.    Not everyone will be happy but there were lots of things to consider including loosing deposits if one of the meets

was canceled.     My only hope is that I can make it to one of them or both if my wife's health allows.    I have not missed a national meet since St Louis (1996 I think)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt,

 

I am wondering how far you want to extend that offer.  I may be willing to put up $10. also.

 

John

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok since we are thinking outside the box here....how about having one meet feature or highlight the pre-war cars and the other feature or highlight the postwar cars? Not to be exclusionary, by any means-still keep both meets open to all Buicks from throughout the company's history. Encourage all Buick owners to attend -whichever meet works best for them, or even both meets if they are able to do so. 

But if some members could only attend one meet, it may be easier to choose which one to attend if the era of Buicks they are most interested in would likely be in attendance in greater numbers at one versus the other. Just an idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit that at first read i was very skeptical at the idea

after reading through with the answers given i have a different outlook

will it work? who knows! but then again the only thing i can tell for sure is  we are not having a car show this year.

sometimes especially under unusual circumstances things that are unusual work better.

thinking outside the box right now is better than what we have and i'm all for it, will i be able to make both? i don't know

i am not retired and like said above that is quite a bit of time off and for me our extended family does a vacation together in late July.

would i love to do it with a road trip with a bunch of Buick's in the middle, ABSOLUTELY! 

we definitely have enough notice and who knows maybe this might start something new

kudos to the BCA and NMC for taking the chance, we older folks don't like change so sometimes its better to force it on us  lol

GOD willing i will be at one for sure, hpefully two

where was that dinner going to be lol

Marty

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 4:31 PM, wildcatsrule said:

how about having one meet feature or highlight the pre-war cars and the other feature or highlight the postwar cars?


From the attendance at the last few meets, that would mean about 20 Prewar cars at one meet and 400 Postwar cars at the other. 
 

How about featuring Prewar cars at both, hopefully bringing out a few more of the oldies.  The postwar cars will come anyway. 
 

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club

Edited by Bill - 29 Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill - 29 Buick said:


From the attendance at the last few meets, that would mean about 20 Prewar cars at one meet and 400 Postwar cars at the other. 
 

How about featuring Prewar cars at both, hopefully bringing out a few more of the oldies.  The postwar cars will come anyway. 
 

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club

 

well prior to all this COVID stuff  ad Dual Super Meet the plan for Charlotte 2021 was to highlight a few specific years/cars like we did in 2012, but now with two meets to attend that detail needs to be discussed between the co-chairs to figure out how to manage it. It still has merit as I felt like it brought out cars we hadn't seen and or more cars than we would have seen when we did it in '12. Just logistics need to be discussed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Brian, yes you mentioned to me last year(?) about bringing my '41 Canadian built Roadmaster coupe to the show as its' the 80th anniversary of them, and you were trying to get as many '41s as possible there. I have been hoping all along to be able to do this.

 The two meets a weekend apart brings some logistics into play which I hadn't expected, particularly spending nearly two weeks on the road, and having to pay the horrible Can-US exchange rate.

 Strongsville isn't terribly out of the way to go to on the way back, as we will have to cross around FT Erie and head South from around Erie Pa., so its' only only a few miles out of the way to go further West to the Cleveland area on the way home.

 I'm retired, so the time isn't such a big deal, but the cost most certainly is.

 Anyway, time think about it for a little while.

 Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

 Brian, yes you mentioned to me last year(?) about bringing my '41 Canadian built Roadmaster coupe to the show as its' the 80th anniversary of them, and you were trying to get as many '41s as possible there. I have been hoping all along to be able to do this.

 The two meets a weekend apart brings some logistics into play which I hadn't expected, particularly spending nearly two weeks on the road, and having to pay the horrible Can-US exchange rate.

 Strongsville isn't terribly out of the way to go to on the way back, as we will have to cross around FT Erie and head South from around Erie Pa., so its' only only a few miles out of the way to go further West to the Cleveland area on the way home.

 I'm retired, so the time isn't such a big deal, but the cost most certainly is.

 Anyway, time think about it for a little while.

 Keith

 

Well i know some '41 folks in the Cleveland area that would like it to be there and then I know one of my chapter members who would love to have it in CLT.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Well i know some '41 folks in the Cleveland area that would like it to be there and then I know one of my chapter members who would love to have it in CLT.

Thanks Brian, I certainly would like to be there as well.

 My car is a driver, no show car, but I would drive it there, if I was attending.

 Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Thanks Brian, I certainly would like to be there as well.

 My car is a driver, no show car, but I would drive it there, if I was attending.

 Keith

yup when we did the 36-38 75th celebration in 2012 we had the full gamut of car types but we had a LOT of them and that was what was cool. My car was there with no top and a thrown together old interior, just to have it on the showfield and we had several drivers, some modifieds and even the car that won the Bulgari award that year, I think we had something like 40+ 36-38's.

 

just one of many details the team needs to get sorted out after this wicked curve ball we queued of the tip bat and now we are hustling down the first base line...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I went to the last Meet in Concord took my 90 Regal it was a nice ride there and back from Lorain,Oh. Im planing to go back to Concord 2021

Edited by Buick Regal GS
info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian.......with your connections,  it would be great to see some vintage Buick race cars.

I guess it was 2012 when the race cars category was created and there was only one NASCAR Buick in attendance.  (none that I remember since)

I happened to be on the judging team that judged that class and we had a tough time comparing it to "original race car"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now