Someone Stole My Car & Trailer

Ehansen5

8 minutes ago, lump said:

Just putting your own name and the name of your favorite collector car, car club, or etc does not constitute advertising for a business, however. And those kinds of graphics are a real pain to remove (ask me how I know!) It's certainly one way to slow down the thieves. 

those graphics are not commercial I agree. Hey goo be gone Not an option 

Robert

I stay at motels on average about 125 nights minimum a year.

Motel 6 is my preference.

I get a room where I can see my truck & trailer out the window.

I disable my truck so it can’t be started.

I park at an angle so the rear doors open away from the parking area or I back up to a wall or another vehicle to block the doors.

Tonight ....

6C878E97-B598-4163-971E-0387D0837050.thumb.jpeg.9e69a0ed52e2ceaae4943ce21cd3bfd7.jpeg

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I seem to recall from the deep dark recesses of the remains of my mind, that if one decorates one's vehicle with a business name etc., then it changes the insurance requirements.  My information could be dated or I could be just flat out wrong.  Does anyone on this thread know anything about this possible change in underwriting?

Cheers,

Grog

5 minutes ago, capngrog said:

I seem to recall from the deep dark recesses of the remains of my mind, that if one decorates one's vehicle with a business name etc., then it changes the insurance requirements.  My information could be dated or I could be just flat out wrong.  Does anyone on this thread know anything about this possible change in underwriting?

Cheers,

Grog

I’m sure it varies by state, like all auto insurance does.  Kentucky has no such rule or law, but that’s all I know.

All of this license nonsense is one of the reasons I still keep my Class A license up to date.

I got it about 30 years ago when I was working construction and still in college.

After I stopped working in those types of jobs I have never let it expire or downgraded my license and I keep a current medical cert.

The only portion of my Class A I let go is the Hazmat endorsement.

That is because to keep that endorsement it means taking the entire written exam every time my license comes up for renewal.

I decided that answering over 350 questions wasn't worth it unless I was going to actually be using it.

But I kept the Class A with doubles/triples and tank endorsements along with my M1 endorsement.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

What is the reason for the "Private Not For Hire" I see on some trailers? 

Bob 

I have a little private sticker on mine but still get stopped. Originally I did it to keep from Maryland stops but I soon found out that means nothing. The only things looked at is the GVW ratings on the trailer and the Drivers truck door ratings!

Robert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

To keep law enforcement from harassing you.

Doesn't work! 

The last time I was "stopped" I was at my commercial property in Massachusetts. I was in my office, and was coming out to jump in my truck and trailer. A state cop pulls in my parking lot, and takes out his pad to write me a ticket for a truck and trailer that had been parked for several hours. I had a Maine tag on my trailer, and a Mass tag on my truck. He tells me he is going to ticket and tow my vehicle. I told him "I am sure your are not" , and he gives me a smile and says yes...I am. I informed him to get off my property immediately. He looks at me like I am an assxxle. It's a rather high end commercial property......he didn't believe it was mine. I called 911, and had my local cops come over. I was a 17 year elected official in my town at the time. Cops showed up in about 90 seconds. I informed the local cop I wanted the trooper off my property NOW. Trooper did not like that.........when I explained to the local my truck and trailer were there for several hours, and on camera, the State cop had no cause to try and ticket me for anything.......and had no reason to be on my property........I was NOT on the street. The Trooper then says I'm going to write you up for the failure to pay tax on the trailer....having an out of state registration. I told him, where are you going to place the ticket....as the officer is telling you to leave. I them produced a receipt of taxes paid in Massachusetts, and a copy of my Massachusetts title. (Did it just to bust his balls.) He left very unhappy...........interestingly, I got a call from the Mass State Police DOT truck inspection team a few weeks later. I spoke to them at length......and they insisted I needed to plate the trailer in Mass........which would cost almost 1500 dollars per year with all the taxes, fees, inspection, ect. Since I was going to become a Florida resident in the next 6 months, I told them I intend to keep the paperwork the way it was and he said "I'm ok with that". Not that I would have changed it anyways. The biggest issue with all of this ......the hassles that even though your right the can still stop, ticket, and tow you........causing delays and headaches........just because your right doesn't mean you will go about your way unencombered.

PS-didn't mean to hijack the thread......but more views is probably a good thing for the missing trailer and car. Best of luck in finding it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Street said:

I have a little private sticker on mine but still get stopped. Originally I did it to keep from Maryland stops but I soon found out that means nothing. The only things looked at is the GVW ratings on the trailer and the Drivers truck door ratings!

Robert

Correct......have EVERYTHING correct....and easy to access. 

A friend in New England traveling to a Wisconsin for a car tour.  Stayed Near  Chicago over night & the truck, trailer & antique were gone in the morning. Reported to police, rented a car, bought clothes, etc and went to event.  On the way home, a week later, the rig was found.  They had a very nice truck & trailer.  The thieves had broken into the trailer but didn’t touch the car.  Things were taken off the truck & all the wheels were removed.  Good things do happen.

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)

This is several years ago now, but does anyone remember the T in a trailer stolen in Virginia along with a second trailer with a Harley owned by a cop? The police took a serious interest because of the second trailer, but the way they recovered T and it’s trailer was because the person it was stolen from was looking on eBay for a replacement after the insurance got settled and found his trailer. When the police got the information from eBay they went there and found the T in the thief’s garage along with the trailer plates! Seems that same seller was dealing trailers and they had found a few others looking at his past sales.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

This is several years ago now, but does anyone remember the T in a trailer stolen in Virginia along with a second trailer with a Harley owned by a cop? The police took a serious interest because of the second trailer, but the way they recovered T and it’s trailer was because the person it was stolen from was looking on eBay for a replacement after the insurance got settled and found his trailer. When the police got the information from eBay they went there and found the T in the thief’s garage along with the trailer plates! Seems that same seller was dealing trailers and they had found a few others looking at his past sales.

Wow, that's a good story. Hopefully that happens here.

Everyone is correct in saying that the thieves did not want whatever was in the trailer. With luck, the car will be found but given the way most thieves think, it's also evidence. My former business partner had his 15-year-old Suburban and scruffy trailer stolen with his 1922 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost inside. They found the Ghost in the weeds dumped by the side the road a few miles away. Suburban and trailer were never seen again...

Hopefully the car just gets dumped somewhere and is recovered. Trailers and trucks can be replaced but something that you've restored and loved is very hard to put a dollar figure on. Good luck and I hope this story has an equally happy ending!

• Like 5

Now I'm wondering if any of this stuff happens to cars on open trailers?

Terry

Hopefully it is found and the SOB gets caught.  I guess we should all learn a lesson from this incident and some of the other stories told here- Put the car in the garage and don't store it in the trailer if at all possible.  As some have said the trailer can be replaced but the car has so much personal value that can never be replaced.  Maybe a BIG dog would be good too! 

I do hope they find it soon.

dave s 

In our area the "Not For Hire" keeps the DOT police off your back if you have a commercial drivers license and the trailer is registered in the company name.  You don't have to stop at weigh stations and they generally leave you alone.  My trailers are all registered in Maine and pay no MD title tax, as of now totally legal.

20 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Reminds me of a guy I know that someone stole the outdrive off of his boat in his driveway.

He got to looking for a  replacement and went to look at one that turned out to be his.

He left a deposit and told the seller he would be back with the rest of the  cash.

He brought the cops too.

And they found a whole bunch of boat parts in his storage that had gone missing.

• Like 5

It sometimes pays to watch the local want ads.I had a garage break in a few years ago.I was very fortunate that all they stole was a chain saw and a fuel can full of gasoline (not mix). The chain saw had always been an obstreperous SOB to start. A couple of weeks after the break in I saw what I believe was my saw advertised on Kijiji. After the description of the saw he added "will start eventually". Karma is great sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very sorry to hear this ..

I have a friend is in the vintage motorcycles near Buffalo and his always around this old cars too.

I'll pass the info.

About a Year and a half ago i left my friend's Brand new flat heavy duty trailer hook up to my truck on the street across my neighbor. just because wont fit in my street

to find out next morning thief  cut the chains i had them with locks, and cut the pin too, trailer was gone , just like that..

i know the feeling , nothing close to your car do.., but i know .

some one here said something i like it about the thieves.... they have to be hang to death..!

When I was on a committee in the diocese of Rupertsland we were helping to make the new Anglican Hymn book politically correct.  All references to he, him his or man had to be changed to their except when the term referred to the Devil, those remained male.  Made me wonder.

It was reported on the Model T Club forum this morning that the trailer and Chandler have been found.  Perhaps the OP can chime in with details.

Terry

• Like 2

Terry you are correct!

The trailer and car inside have been located and returned.

It was locate and picked up yesterday afternoon.  By the time i got back some and got settled i was/am  beat.  I appreciate everyone's assistance in sharing and keeping an eye out for this.  Thank you all! 

• Like 18

13 minutes ago, Ehansen5 said:

Terry you are correct!

It was locate and picked up yesterday afternoon.  By the time i got back some and got settled i was/am  beat.  I appreciate everyone's assistance in sharing and keeping an eye out for this.  Thank you all! 

Ehansen5, I am glad to hear that your trailer and car have been found.  I hope everything is as it was before being stolen.

Tim

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ehansen5 said:

Congrats !

Once you get rested up, it would be interesting to know if your post on this forum played a role in finding it. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A HAPPY ENDING! 

Just what we all needed during this depressing lock down! Very happy for the owner. Woluld like to learn the particulars when it’s appropriate and convenient.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Congratulations on getting your car and trailer back.  Having this possibly happen to me has always scared me. Like many I park under lights if possible when staying overnight on the road however experienced thieves are good at what they do. I had small signs made for above each trailer door handle on my old trailer that said "warning alarmed" but I doubt that was much of a deterrent. I was going to have the signs say "warning poisonous snakes onboard" to at least get them thinking.