41 Buick - Fuel Filter Direction?

jim1941

I'm not much of a mechanic, but am trying to work out the bugs on my newly acquired '41 Buick Sedanette.  This fuel line filter in the engine area appears to be installed backwards; notice arrow on the side of it in the photo pointing away from the carburetors.  Is there some good reason for this that would be an exception to the rule?  Should I switch it?  Thanks for the guidance.  Jim 

cXtsIc61RsKKTK0fAwPS5w.jpg

Yes, switch it. Or better yet, remove it and get rid of the rubber hoses, which are a leak waiting to happen. Is that electrical tape sealing it to the hard line?

If you want a fuel filter, install a period glass sediment bowl type in the line closer to the carburetors using proper fittings and hard lines. Lawnmower filters always look glaringly wrong on an old car, and perched there on the top of the engine it's a real eyesore. If your tank is clean, you probably don't need this one in addition to the screen in the pump anyway.

Do it right and you won't have to worry about it ever again. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the input.  I should also mention, I already have one of this type filter near the gas tank and before the electric fuel pump that I installed. The instructions recommended putting one there. Seems like a good option would be to remove the one in the engine area. Thanks again. Jim

2 hours ago, jim1941 said:

Thanks for the input.  I should also mention, I already have one of this type filter near the gas tank and before the electric fuel pump that I installed. The instructions recommended putting one there. Seems like a good option would be to remove the one in the engine area. Thanks again. Jim

Personally i`ve always installed the filter between the tank and fuel pump to prevent trash from getting to the check valves in the pump, some pumps have a sediment bowl on the "in" side of the pump that serves this purpose.