'64 Riv. trunk emblem clips?

frenchy51

I'm putting my '64 back together finally after paint and am trying to put on the "Riviera" trunk emblem. Is there some sort of clip available to push the backing studs into?  I can't find any available. If not, any suggestions on secure mounting? Thanks

You should be able to use the same clips that hold your horseshoe moldings on. They are available from Cars Inc. or Jim at BestOfferCounts. You might have to widen them a little to secure them to your molding then tap them into your deck lid. I haven't done this in a long time, but I think it will work. Gene. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abandg said:

You should be able to use the same clips that hold your horseshoe moldings on. They are available from Cars Inc. or Jim at BestOfferCounts. You might have to widen them a little to secure them to your molding then tap them into your deck lid. I haven't done this in a long time, but I think it will work. Gene. 

Thanks Gene. I tested them thinking they would work but they didn't seem right. I'll try again-I may have some paint build up in the holes I need to clean up.....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

Speaking of 64 Riviera trunk scripts. Does anyone have a really nice one for sale?  The 64 is curved at the top so it fits the profile of the trunk lid.

I never noticed the curve-you're right. I might have another one-I'll look. As an update-I had to enlarge the mounting holes a bit for the horse shoe clips-but they'll work. Thanks all.

All you have to do to mount these kinds of emblems is put a dab of 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive on the end of each of the pins

on the emblem and put it on and wait 24 hours and you are done. The GTO emblems on the fenders of my 69 GTO have been held on this way

for 45 years so far. I 've had them off and put them back on that way 3 times when doing repaints without any damage to the emblem, just gently pried them off, scraped the adhesive off the pins and reinstalled them with new adhesive. Messing around with those clips is a good way to damage your paint. On another note, if you ever need to replace the chrome on the leading edge of the rear window

that holds the vertical weatherstrip on a GM car, forget the way the factory did it and instead of the tape GM used, just put some 3M yellow

adhesive in the bottom of the channel on the chrome and stick it on the glass.......much easier to install and looks better without

the ugly tape showing through the window.    

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, frenchy51 said:

I never noticed the curve-you're right. I might have another one-I'll look. As an update-I had to enlarge the mounting holes a bit for the horse shoe clips-but they'll work. Thanks all.

One thing I've found is that a lot of Ebay sellers are trying to sell 65 emblems claiming they will fit a 64.  One guy said, "just bend it to fit." When I asked him when the last time he had successfully bent die cast, he just hung up on me. Moral of the story : a lot of Ebay sellers don't really know what they're doing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:42 AM, RivNut said:

One thing I've found is that a lot of Ebay sellers are trying to sell 65 emblems claiming they will fit a 64.  One guy said, "just bend it to fit." When I asked him when the last time he had successfully bent die cast, he just hung up on me. Moral of the story : a lot of Ebay sellers don't really know what they're doing.

Some of them are just looking to make a buck with no knowledge of what they are selling.