Wire wheels for late 1929 Packard 626

31Buick96S

I am considering the purchase of a 1929 Packard 626 Coupe. A friend suggested that the wheels on the car are incorrect and likely 19". As the photos show, the car was delivered on 7/3/229. The dismounted spare wheel/tire seems to show an 8 lug pattern that would be cover the lug bolts by a hub cap. The 4 wheels mounted on the car are identical and have the pictured hub cap . The tire size on all 5 wheels are 6.00 -20 as shown in the close up of one tire.

1. Can anyone tell me if these type wheels available on this car originally?
  2. Are they 19" or 20"?
  3. Does anyone recognize the manufacturer of the wheel?
  4. The tire size confuses me if they are 19", is this even possible?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_7899.JPG

IMG_9658.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

I'm no Packard expert, but I know those are not original 1929 626 wheels.  1931 was the first year for the enclosed lug nuts/bolts hub.  Your wheels being 20" are most likely from '31.  From various histories of the Packard car company.  I learned that Packard would encourage owners of earlier model Packard's.  To up grade their cars with the latest versions of wheels, lights, etc.  To make their cars more "modern".  Do some research and I'm sure you will find some pics of a 626 with its proper wheels.   Good luck, a Packard has always been my dream car!

Not the correct wheels.

• You need 20", 8 stud rims with the lugs outside the wheel hub.
  • 1929 and 1930 Packard wire wheels use longer wheel nuts than the steel disc wheels.
  • In 1930, the standard 8 cars used different wire wheels - 20" 7 lug.
  • In 1930,  the Big 8's used 8 lug but 19".
  • I'll get a photo of my wires later and post. They are hard to find and can be expensive.

By the way, I did see a 626 coupe photo somewhere recently and I think it had the wrong wheels and maybe something else was wrong also - cannot recall without revisiting that photo.

• Like 1

I have a set of 1929 Packard 7 lug wire wheels that have all new spokes professionally installed, that are available  These wheels have the smaller opening for the small hubcap and leaves the lug nuts exposed.  I am still not familiar with the difference between the small Packard, 726, the standard 8 733 and the super 8 740.  Would someone with experience with these wheels and Packard series, please school us.

Al

15 hours ago, alsfarms said:

I have a set of 1929 Packard 7 lug wire wheels that have all new spokes professionally installed, that are available  These wheels have the smaller opening for the small hubcap and leaves the lug nuts exposed.  I am still not familiar with the difference between the small Packard, 726, the standard 8 733 and the super 8 740.  Would someone with experience with these wheels and Packard series, please school us.

Al

I recall a 645 and a 745 are different.  Otherwise, I am not familiar enough, but regardless whatever they are should fit.  Worse case is different widths on  rim from series to series and that really should not matter as plenty of space and ...

• Like 1

I am not a real Packard knowledgeable guy.  Is a 1929 626 simply a short wheelbase Standard 8, mostly the same as a 633 Standard 8?  The Super 8's being the 640 and 645?  I get the idea that all Standard 8's in 1929 used the 7 lug wheel pattern while the Super 8's used the 8 lug pattern?  (I can get that rim width may be a bit different between wheelbase to accommodate a larger tire fitting the wheelbase and weight factor better).  Is my lug pattern deduction correct?  If that is a correct deduction, I am not getting the 8 lug wire wheels on a 626 as the OP has noted on the original post.  I am just trying to understand Packard better as I may purchase one someday!  Pierce-Arrow, of the same vintage had three distinct Model series each with its own engine size and wheelbase.

Al

1928  6 cylinder 526 ( 5th series and 126" wheelbase) - 8 lug 20" wheels, lugs visible when small donut / aluminium cap is on.

1928  8 cylinder 443 (4th series and 143" wheelbase CUSTOM 8 / Big 8 - ONLY ONE WHEELBASE IN 1928) - 8 lug 20" wheels, lugs visible when small donut / aluminium cap is on.

1929 - NO 6 CYLINDER CARS. Cars built in the early months (1902 cars) used 1928 wire wheels with the small donut and aluminium caps then changed to a larger donut with steel cap

1929 Standard 8 - 626 and 633 (126" and 133" wheelbase) - 8 lug 20" wheels, lugs visible when donut / steel cap is on.

1929 Custom / Deluxe 8 - 640 and 645 (140" and 145" wheelbase) - 8 lug 20" wheels, lugs visible when donut / steel cap is on.

1930 Standard 8 - 726 and 733 (127.5" and 134.5" wheelbase - 1.5 inches added to allow more space up front for water pump.) - 7 lug 20" wheels, lugs visible when donut / steel cap is on.

1930 Custom / Deluxe 8 - 740 and 745 (140" and 145" wheelbase) - 8 lug 19" wheels, lugs visible when donut / steel cap is on.

NOTE:

• From 1931 and 8th series, the lug nuts were inside the wheel hub and therefore not visible when the hubcap was on.
  • Packard referred to its bigger 8 cars as Custom 8 and Deluxe 8
  • Here are some 1928 small donut wheels. I'll add some 1929 and 1930 when I get into the workshop later today.

1928 wire wheels.jpg

• Like 1

Three more photos:

The first a 1929 Packard 20" 8 lug wheel

The second a 1930 Packard 19" 8 lug wheel

The third a 1930 Packard 19"  wheel minus donut. (NOTE: except for diameter, the same appearance as the 20" wheels).

NOTE: I AM ALWAYS ON THE LOOKOUT FOR MORE OF THESE, ESPECIALLY THE SMALL DONUT 1928 LIKE THE FOUR IN THE PREVIOUS POST.

Packard 1929 wire wheel.JPG

Packard 1930 wire wheel.JPG

Packard 1930 wheel minus donut.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Kean,  Thanks for posting the pictures and your nice description of the evolution of wire wheels on Packard from 1928 to 1931.  It appears that I do have the 1930 733 version of wire wheel, (which I referred to above).

Al

Send me a photo and I can confirm. Interestingly, there were other cars that used the 7 lug wheel centres like Packard ones but not with 19" rims. Chrysler 75's definitely did

as a friend had Chrysler 75 wires and they shared the 7 lug wheel hub. I think they were 18's. I also believe Hudson may have too.

Kean Thompson

speedster1930@hotmail.com

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2020 at 4:16 PM, Kean Thompson said:

Send me a photo and I can confirm. Interestingly, there were other cars that used the 7 lug wheel centres like Packard ones but not with 19" rims. Chrysler 75's definitely did

as a friend had Chrysler 75 wires and they shared the 7 lug wheel hub. I think they were 18's. I also believe Hudson may have too.

Kean Thompson

speedster1930@hotmail.com

Hudson used the 7 lug wheels in 1929. 18" diameter on the model L cars, and 19" on the model R's. The model L was the longer wheelbase, more expensive car.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting that the 1930 19" 8-lug wheel (second pictured) has a different hub shell cover (donut) than the 1929 20" 8-lug.   All the '29 and '30 8-lug wheels and shell covers I've seen are identical except for the rim diameter.  However, I note in the Service Parts Manual there were two different hub shell covers available for either 740 or 745, one 6-1/16" diameter (part 166331, same as 1929), the other 7-1/2" (part 177320).   The wheels were apparently different as well, carrying different parts numbers.   The pictured 1930 wheel with donut must be the one with the larger cover.  I wonder how many cars carried that option.

Edited by Sherlock1889 (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Hello John,

What size 7 lug wire wheel do you need?  I have a set of 5 repoked 20" 7 lug wire wheels suitable for a Packard.  These should be the same as some Chrysler products, Hudson, Franklin, big series Nash and Packards.  I would sell if they work for you.  New spokes by Valley Wire Wheel in Southern California.

Regards,

Alan

Hello John,

I will check when we get home from vacation in a week and see if I happen to have a spare.  It seems that lock rings are an issue for sure.  I will also check with a buddy that has a little pile of wire wheels and parts.

Al

• 1 year later...

I have no clue what someone was thinking via prior restoration shop doing the Packard - I saw the 4 boxes of wheels restored wheels from Dayton Wire Wheel and two generic boxes with 2 wheels that were not done.  Was very surprised to pull out of boxes for close inspection to find the boxes of finished wheels were 2 - 20" 8 lug and 2" 19" 8 lug (with letters saying wheels did not match and saying "told to restore anyways"), then went hunting further and found the 2 unrestored wheels were tagged "unrestorable".  

I will go back and double check to make sure all are 8 lug.

Thinking at minimum the hubs for the 2 -19" can be mounted/mated to 20" rims ?

Thinking the hubs for the unrestorable wheels may also be restorable as usually it is the rims that are at issue, but did see a certain amount of pitting ?

I do have a set of 6 - 20" lock rings that are near flawless redone so I have no issues with lock rings.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)