Windshield Washer Operation

kdml

On my ‘65 once I press the windshield washer button the washer continues to spray whether I keep my finger on the button or not.  To stop the spray I have to turn the knob and shut off the wipers.  Is that correct?  Or should the washer only spray when I press the button?

I’m hoping this is correct as I want to avoid having to remove the wiper motor.  

Thanks

Doug

Does it eventually stop on its own?  It should activate when you press the button and then operate for one cycle of the washer cam, then stop.  It's not like newer cars which only activate the pump when the washer button is pushed.

You just need to push and release the button.  The pump automatically will cycle with a pulse method of spraying the windshield and then turn off.  All GM products operated the same way back in the day and for many years thereafter.

If the pump doesn’t shut off, the cam could be worn out or there may be another issue.

Depending on how accurate you want your car to be and how often you need to use the washr function, there are other alternatives.  I used the pump from an 98 - 99 era Jeep Grand Cherokee.  It's not a pulse pump though, it gives a steady stream of water as long as you hold down the button. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the Riviera washer fluid reservoir, attached the pump, and connected the OE wires to it.  

03398716-1834462.jpg.2b47e7d436a52ddb520c29ac51b48ecf.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks all.  I’ll probably wait to fix this as it actually does clean the windshield.  Probably a good winter project.  I have got other priorities as I get the final pieces together to get the car back on the road after 11 years.  

If you decide to fix the original, buy the pump R&R kit and replace the pump diaphragm while you're in there.  It sounds like there's a problem with the cam, or more likely the switch that follows the cam.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to pull the wiper motor and bench test the wipers and washer.  Wiper motor tested fine.  

The service manual shows how to bench test the wiper motor, but not the washer pump. There are two connections for the pump.  Anyone know how to wire them to bench test?

thanks

Doug

AF172320-1D2C-41A1-A863-6CBF430415FD.jpeg

Thinking about Ed's post regarding replacing the mechanical pump with an electric, I did some searching and found discussions regarding a direct replacement for the mechanical pump using AC Delco Part #86712.  Apparently, it uses the existing wiring.  Here is a link to it at RockAuto.  Anyone ever try this?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=371448&jsn=2045&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw98pF26vehMm%2FGG3C%2Fl2QOXSJubi7WSpUmUSdg3OxWOs2f5z9h422EONy36O0PjCuaadDqI1r86y%2FvJ1lBqy8eOR0sg7BsyoIVzYVynWFLBIlwaywGecraSSoOT0mVfLnJzbY9RBdPVwFZck7vkcva5GsxcUjH2fe%2BwyB8OwHTk29EFGIWstGWld%2BXAKoTps0G%2FDdCtcp%2FS2JLZOFhTFUSQSD7OT0kuvV2YmE%2BHSbbk1rFos8DZRCwVnRmAQOinLQJ3PiW3YzZACaJk80FbPUuUBEQw67%2FxeJXNNDK8d7gc8XsIouA8abDGRQO1ShkfDzOWBQeck66DAThxs0FsO4yHL32eRcZBW4bJDn%2BvTM2VmZDXm9gKfTdgOZfaUfHw%3D%3D

Thanks

Doug

• Like 2

They worked great when they worked, but they required some technical expertise to trouble shoot, or repair.

The recessed wipers had to be "timed' to sequence and park properly.

You had to insert a specific sized drill bit into an access hole in the pump cover to properly time the pump cam - a pain in the butt job.

Will be nice to know if the Rock Auto Delco replacement Unit will eliminate that.

It looks like an electric pump that will spray whenever the wash position is selected?

Keep us posted guys!

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Now we need to figure out how to run the hose/nozzle to the blade so water covers the entire windshield rather than just the spots in front of the discharge nozzles.  🙄  Pretty soon we'll have a thoroughly modern 1st generation Riviera.  Now I just need to figure out how to walk up to the car and have it recognize me and have the mirrors and seat adjust to my body and set the temp to my liking.  

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the AC Delco washer pump on my wiper motor.  Below are a couple of pics.  Not an exact replica of the original, but you cannot see it behind the hood hinge anyway.  The second pic shows where it overhangs the body of the wiper motor.  I plugged that open space to keep dirt from getting inside the motor.  The difference between the original washer pump and this pump is "night and day".  There is so much pressure with the new pump, I could probably adjust the sprayers and wash the windshield of the car behind me. 

Doug

washer 1.jpg

washer 2.jpg

Edited by kdml (see edit history)