1917 Chevrolet 490 Roadster beautifully restored

I am listing my 1917 490 Roadster (turtle deck) for sale. This is a very early built 1917 as it has the steering gear box mounted up at the fire wall which Chevrolet later on in 1917 moved down to the frame it also has the square tube radiator which was 1916 and early 1917. The number on the head is 8 24 16 also the vin number is a low number for 1917. I showed this car last year at the VCCA Central meet and it scored 991 out of 1000 points. The car runs great I don't drive it much as I have a 1915 Baby Grand and that is easier for having a family and driving around. The car is located In the Toledo Ohio area my number is 4192620789 or email NovaAndy63@bex.net. I feel this car is a beautiful example of an early Chevrolet 490 and you do not see many early Chevrolet roadsters. Also included is a correct set of side curtains and a early original 490 owners manual I am asking $15000 obo.

8.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Andy, where do you guys have car shows out there? I attended a large convention in Sylvania last October, at the Tam-O-Shanter, which unfortunately was the final one. However, my family and I love that area and there was stuff we wanted to do but didn't have time for, so another trip is being planned for a year or two. (well, pre-virus. May be longer out now). The only show I'm aware of in that area is at the car shop right off exit 59 on I80, under the bridge that separates Maumee from Toledo on Reynolds Road. 

Beautiful car. I always wanted a Model T because of the ease of finding parts and never considered a Chevy, but this car has me thinking. How easy is it to find parts for a 1917 Chevy? Is it hand crank to start? It looks like it has a clutch and gear shift like a Model A. Was Chevy more advanced than Ford? Does it have mechanical brakes? When did Chevy start to manufacture the 1917 models?

Doug, it is harder to find parts for a chevrolet but some model T parts do work on the 490 (dont tell some people that they dont like to hear that.) It has electric start as by 1915 it was standard on chevrolets. Yes it has a leather clutch which takes a little to get used to. It has rear mechanical brakes only. Chevrolet started model years around August the date on the head is late August if I remember correctly.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:02 PM, 63NovaAndy said:

Doug, it is harder to find parts for a chevrolet but some model T parts do work on the 490 (dont tell some people that they dont like to hear that.) It has electric start as by 1915 it was standard on chevrolets. Yes it has a leather clutch which takes a little to get used to. It has rear mechanical brakes only. Chevrolet started model years around August the date on the head is late August if I remember correctly.

When did Chevy go to 4-wheel mechanical brakes and then hydraulic brakes?