Studebaker President Racing Recreation Project From Chile

Hello, I am starting a recreation project for a studebaker president who competed in Chile in the 1930s. It will be a body that was used in motorsports at the time.  The mechanics and chassis are complete and is matching number car. However  I dont have the vin number and engine number.  Could someone from this forum help me identify these numbers?  I can send block number 157457 ??? and the model is FEL 2B -6.  Thanks a lot !! 

0B01B3BB-22E1-4853-858E-3A376BC5062A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Contact Gary Ash on this site. He is just finishing a Stude Indy Car Replica build. Look in the speedster forum.

• Thanks 2

I can give you contact info for some reproduction chassis, engine, carburetor, steering box, and other items...............

• Thanks 1

I know how to decode tags on Pierce Arrow cars....they used the same set up. Stude is different, but I'm confidant that the 6 is the body number of the series of cars built...........wild guess, a cut down Limo.

• Thanks 1

The Antique Studebaker Club is your best resource for information on pre-WWII Studebaker Presidents.  The 1929-1930 Model FE was the 135 inch wheelbase with seven passenger body styles for the most part.

https://antiquestudebakerclub.org/

Your chassis has the 337 cubic inch L-head straight eight, which will give you a high power-to-weight ratio in a short, light-weight speedster.  Good luck with your project, please start a project blog under the Speedster topic section so we  can follow your progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The serial number for your chassis should be located on the outside of the chassis by the left front wheel.  It is an aluminum tag, riveted to the chassis rail.  The serial number will be 7 digits, something like 6 0XX XXX as those chassis numbers ranged from 6 013 001 to about 6 022 001 for FE models.  Studebaker used the letter I  (with serifs) for a 1.

The body tag you showed, FEL-22  6, is for a 4-door sedan, Land Cruiser model.  At least, that is what the FEL-2 means.  I'm not sure about the second 2.  The number 6 on the lower line indicates the 6th body built of that type, so maybe you have an early FE car.

The engine serial number will be on the left side of the block at the top, just above the water manifold, about in the middle from front to rear.  The number will begin with FE, then some digits.    The number you gave is the casting number.

Here is a photo of a 1931 engine, about the same as your FE model.  Note that the photo in the post above is of the smaller 250 cubic inch engine, not the 337 cubic inch engine in your car.

I also added a photo of a car that raced in Argentina, maybe also in Chile. 

275114415_serialnumberplate-sm.jpg.560f1325abfe6b92476df32cc8755359.jpg

Chassis serial number plate from President FE model.  This plate is available as a reproduction.

31-Studebaker-President-DV-14-BS_e01.thumb.jpg.c57bac044c7c70eb310b7bad5e8a6f7f.jpg

1931 President engine, 337 cubic inches.  Engine serial number will be just above water manifold plate.

1930ArgPres1.jpg.be5267199bf4c5a66c20234334752506.jpg

A Studebaker powered race car in Argentina.  Other cars seem to be 1960s models.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lebowski said:

If you have more questions go to studebakerdriversclub.com because that's the best website on the planet for Studebaker info. It's free to use their forums too. Good luck with your project....

I will absolutely investigate where you indicate me, thank you very much

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The Antique Studebaker Club is your best resource for information on pre-WWII Studebaker Presidents.  The 1929-1930 Model FE was the 135 inch wheelbase with seven passenger body styles for the most part.

https://antiquestudebakerclub.org/

Your chassis has the 337 cubic inch L-head straight eight, which will give you a high power-to-weight ratio in a short, light-weight speedster.  Good luck with your project, please start a project blog under the Speedster topic section so we  can follow your progress.

Thanks friend I will check in antique studebaker club!  I appreciate the good disposition of all.👌

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

The serial number for your chassis should be located on the outside of the chassis by the left front wheel.  It is an aluminum tag, riveted to the chassis rail.  The serial number will be 7 digits, something like 6 0XX XXX as those chassis numbers ranged from 6 013 001 to about 6 022 001 for FE models.  Studebaker used the letter I  (with serifs) for a 1.

The body tag you showed, FEL-22  6, is for a 4-door sedan, Land Cruiser model.  At least, that is what the FEL-2 means.  I'm not sure about the second 2.  The number 6 on the lower line indicates the 6th body built of that type, so maybe you have an early FE car.

The engine serial number will be on the left side of the block at the top, just above the water manifold, about in the middle from front to rear.  The number will begin with FE, then some digits.    The number you gave is the casting number.

Here is a photo of a 1931 engine, about the same as your FE model.  Note that the photo in the post above is of the smaller 250 cubic inch engine, not the 337 cubic inch engine in your car.

I also added a photo of a car that raced in Argentina, maybe also in Chile. 

275114415_serialnumberplate-sm.jpg.560f1325abfe6b92476df32cc8755359.jpg

Chassis serial number plate from President FE model.  This plate is available as a reproduction.

31-Studebaker-President-DV-14-BS_e01.thumb.jpg.c57bac044c7c70eb310b7bad5e8a6f7f.jpg

1931 President engine, 337 cubic inches.  Engine serial number will be just above water manifold plate.

1930ArgPres1.jpg.be5267199bf4c5a66c20234334752506.jpg

A Studebaker powered race car in Argentina.  Other cars seem to be 1960s models.

Dear Gary

I appreciate your enormous support in this project.  I had heard of your project and it is very valuable to keep the past alive.  It doesn't matter where you live is the same feeling for old cars. 

You have helped me clarify several points.

The number is FEL - 2B 6 The photo I sent may not read well, but it is the letter B. I assume the B may be Brougham bodywork ??

Unfortunately this car ended up being used as a truck for agricultural fields and no longer has the vin number on the chassis.  The aluminum plate disappeared.  The engine serial number is also not on the block at the top.  The "cylinder head was repair and the numbers were erased. For my bad luck without the engine and chassis number I can't enroll it. Will there be a way to identify these numbers?

The project to recreate this race car is to leave in the history of my country a legacy that can remind a car that had a Latin American record of 209km / hr.  Also this car won many races against the Alfa Romeo, Mercedes Benz, Hudson and many others.  It was a very important engine and a lot of automotive development.  I share photos in this forum.

My project has just started and I am with hope to arrive at a good port.  Greetings to all !!

282315C7-7ABA-464A-8E77-E98777D4302A.jpeg

78CEE76A-4C1D-49D6-9E46-2040115317F9.jpeg

58BBCECA-6BA7-4EE1-A080-A5D776ACF8D4.jpeg

224EF718-D962-4D5B-A13D-CACA2E6A71BC.jpeg

241B30A8-6CFB-48EA-A021-6E7140184B8D.jpeg

A6B9DF8E-8D19-49BD-B416-EB07C8725B8E.jpeg

8F5F1F10-9979-4240-B091-8EF0D006B373.jpeg

0A1DF0F1-D299-4CB6-896A-B9B2666677CD.jpeg

37ABE02F-E4EC-46BF-A71E-B30D6F548750.jpeg

DB62C946-44B2-4598-A0EE-3E54788A827C.jpeg

F40C52B9-4F0E-4D51-943F-A5AD563D3DF4.jpeg

4E6891F5-7A80-4F2A-8E7C-AA4FB145175D.jpeg

9E76C245-C2F4-4618-8A64-7110B0496696.jpeg

90A02D13-7728-439F-898A-166BEBFCCDC1.jpeg

22089467-741B-48E1-A936-AB8AC2B84622.jpeg

F4A19BCD-EFC1-40E4-9E60-DF65F371346F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The "cylinder head was repair and the numbers were erased. For my bad luck without the engine and chassis number I can't enroll it. Will there be a way to identify these numbers?

Nicolas the motor number was stamped on 3 areas.  The top of the block twice.  This is where they get removed when resurfaced.  But the other number is on the front of the block under the support plate and should still be there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The FEL-2 does not mean its a Brougham or a " Land Cruiser" etc. "FE" is the designation for the 135" Long Wheelbase President, the designation of "L-2" was for the 7 Passenger Tourer with Dual Sidemount fenders. The "L" was for the touring body and if it had "L-1" it was wood spoke wheels with a rear mounted spare. There were only about 60 of these 1929 7 passenger Tourers made and as of to date there have only been 4 of them surface.

#19 is an "L-1" but was later converted to Dual Sidemounts and wire wheels and is currently owned by Rex Miltenberger 

#21 which was an "L-1" model I sold to a gentleman in the Ukraine, It was the only "L-1" which still had its original factory wood wheel setup

#35 is an L-1 and it was also converted to Dual Sidemounts and wire wheels by a previous owner. Its is now owned by Ken Halper.

#57 is an "L-2" and is the only one with its original factory Dual Sidemount wire wheel configuration. (Which with car #21 were my cars)

And you sir have the pleasure of owning #6 which when it came out of the factory was Dual Sidemounts and wire wheels. The #6 like all the other above quoted numbers means of the 7 passenger President Tourers made, yours was the 6th one to roll down the assembly line. The letter  "B" that is after the model designation I have not seen before unless it was a designation used for an Export model but it does not mean it was a Brougham. If if it said "FE-B" that would be a Brougham, the "L" is for touring. In 1928 a "T" was used but in 1929 they changed it to "L". 

Attached is a picture of both FE-L1#21 and FEL-2#57 when I had them both together.

The numbers were sequential into the 1930 Tourers the "L" designation remained the same. (After 60 they became 1930 Models)

#76 was owned by Milford Barker 

#77 is owned by Ymer Sletten -Norway

#80 is owned by a neighbor of Ymer's

And the other 1930 was preciously owned by Erik Jacobsen in Denmark. All the above listed cars were "L-1" models and all have been converted over to Dual Sidemounts with wire wheels. 

So far your #6 is whats left of the earliest known 1929-1930 "FEL" model tourers thus far in the line of them produced. My guess is all total only abkut 100 were made over the two years.

FB_IMG_1530492313150.jpg

FB_IMG_1530487436857.jpg

FB_IMG_1503156213511.jpg

Edited by 29StudiePrez (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Did the blue car come equipped from the factory with with duel windshields? Love the pictures!

No. That was a period excessory, the blue one, car #57 was purchased by Paramount Studios to pick up and drive celebrities to the studios. Once done as a studio car it got sent off to the prop department and was in the 1932 Movie "Hot Saturday" with Cary Grant. At the time of filming it was not on the car, but the mounting hardware looks like it always was, so maybe the Studio took it off to get the shot with all the people riding in it, (Cary Grant is sitting in the front passenger's seat in this photo) the studio eventually sold the car and the mechanic (Robert Branton Sr.) for Jimmy Durante purchased it and I purchased it from his family after he passed away. The earlist photo I have of the car with that 2nd windshield was in the 1960s (See Pic) and was used in some local parades and at various times a had local Mayor, a Governor and a U.S. Senator riding in it, but not sure when the second windshield was added. 

20190624_124724.jpg

FB_IMG_1589751993024.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 29StudiePrez said:

The FEL-2 does not mean its a Brougham or a " Land Cruiser" etc. "FE" is the designation for the 135" Long Wheelbase President, the designation of "L-2" was for the 7 Passenger Tourer with Dual Sidemount fenders. The "L" was for the touring body and if it had "L-1" it was wood spoke wheels with a rear mounted spare. There were only about 60 of these 1929 7 passenger Tourers made and as of to date there have only been 4 of them surface.

#19 is an "L-1" but was later converted to Dual Sidemounts and wire wheels and is currently owned by Rex Miltenberger 

#21 which was an "L-1" model I sold to a gentleman in the Ukraine, It was the only "L-1" which still had its original factory wood wheel setup

#35 is an L-1 and it was also converted to Dual Sidemounts and wire wheels by a previous owner. Its is now owned by Ken Halper.

#57 is an "L-2" and is the only one with its original factory Dual Sidemount wire wheel configuration. (Which with car #21 were my cars)

And you sir have the pleasure of owning #6 which when it came out of the factory was Dual Sidemounts and wire wheels. The #6 like all the other above quoted numbers means of the 7 passenger President Tourers made, yours was the 6th one to roll down the assembly line. The letter  "B" that is after the model designation I have not seen before unless it was a designation used for an Export model but it does not mean it was a Brougham. If if it said "FE-B" that would be a Brougham, the "L" is for touring. In 1928 a "T" was used but in 1929 they changed it to "L". 

Attached is a picture of both FE-L1#21 and FEL-2#57 when I had them both together.

The numbers were sequential into the 1930 Tourers the "L" designation remained the same. (After 60 they became 1930 Models)

And the other 1930 was preciously owned by Erik Jacobsen in Denmark. All the above listed cars were "L-1" models and all have been converted over to Dual Sidemounts with wire wheels. 

So far your #6 is whats left of the earliest known 1929-1930 "FEL" model tourers thus far in the line of them produced. My guess is all total only abkut 100 were made over the two years.

FB_IMG_1530492313150.jpg

FB_IMG_1530487436857.jpg

FB_IMG_1503156213511.jpg

what you write in this post makes me hesitate to make the race car.  I am very impressed that so few units were manufactured.  Thank you for clarifying my doubts regarding the original model!  Only 60 units in the 1929 wow .. I'm in shock!  rebuilding the body would certainly be a lot of work and getting the missing parts and pieces could take many years!  I will try to make the baquet in the most original way possible !!  I am very sorry to lose the vin number and the motor number I will do another search again !! Thank you

again!! 

8 hours ago, studerex said:

The "cylinder head was repair and the numbers were erased. For my bad luck without the engine and chassis number I can't enroll it. Will there be a way to identify these numbers?

Nicolas the motor number was stamped on 3 areas.  The top of the block twice.  This is where they get removed when resurfaced.  But the other number is on the front of the block under the support plate and should still be there. 

Ok ok I will check it. If I find the engine number, can I find out the production numbers and find the vin number?  With these two numbers I can legalize the vehicle and I would be able to circulate !!

• Thanks 1

Nicolas

Could you post a photo of what you have?  If you are thinking of making it the original FEL-2 I know where there is a rear touring tub and 3 doors and one spacer between the doors.  That would make the only body metal to be made the one door and spacer.  And all the wood.  The full size to scale body prints are available from the Studebaker museum.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 1:00 PM, 29StudiePrez said:

FB_IMG_1530492313150.jpg

FB_IMG_1530487436857.jpg

FB_IMG_1503156213511.jpg

hi Rex!  

thanks for your posting.  the truth is that you make me doubt if I continue with the race car.  that touring is unique.  I just only have the engine, chassis, differential, front, rear, and torpedo.  I have nothing else!  It is a very powerful project and at least 3-4 years of work.  I think I will not be willing to invest so much money and time for a car that is perhaps not worth over 100k.  If someone wants to do it write me.  I can get an engine and get on with my race car project. I just like make my baquet for drive in my country and argentina too.

It is a historical recreation that is also of national interest in my country.  I saw your email and I will reply shortly!  Best! 

On 5/18/2020 at 8:27 AM, studerex said:

Nicolas

Could you post a photo of what you have?  If you are thinking of making it the original FEL-2 I know where there is a rear touring tub and 3 doors and one spacer between the doors.  That would make the only body metal to be made the one door and spacer.  And all the wood.  The full size to scale body prints are available from the Studebaker museum.

Rex, I have never seen the letter "B"  before after the "FEL-1 or L-2" designation. I made a guess that it might have been on the export touring models or maybe South American exports? Any thoughts on the "B" as It the first I've seen on our cars.

Never seen a B on tag before.  It has a 30 radiator with shutters in some photos.  Maybe late production had a B.  Just speculation for now.  Ed Princes touring was a late 30 that the factory changed to a 31.  I'll have to look at my photos and see what his tag has.  Somewhere I have a photo of a FEL-2 with a single digit body number.  Maybe that has a B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, studerex said:

Nicolas

Check the left frame rail, drivers side, on the bottom flange, ground side.  About in the drivers door area.  The serial number might still be there. 

Rex, where you're telling Nicolas to check, are you referring to the frame serial number plate, or is there a secondary location on the frame the serial number is stamped which is what your referring to?

Edited by 29StudiePrez
Typos (see edit history)

Here is another frame serial number.  It is a sand blasted bare frame that I took a photo before painting.  After prime and paint it would not be seen again.  It is located just in front of those 4 rivets on the bottom flange, drivers side.

008.jpg

004.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 3:25 PM, edinmass said:

The company Gary mentioned isn’t worth wasting your time........trust me. We have new valves and springs.......oil pump, usually timing Gears. Good used cams.We would also have rods, pins, and probably good used pistons in 20-30-40 over sizes. Probably have a new set of .040 pistons in stock.........Ross or a similar company, not the overseas junk. We never install used parts on customers engines......ever........but we will sell them to people trying to stay on a budget. Be aware, Stude and Pierce pistons from 29&30 are known to fail. Our valves come with new valve guides. I think using old valves is a mistake, as they burn easily with today’s fuel, and often they are sunk way to far down in the block. I have rebuilt countless of these motors, and the Chinese junk valves others sell are worth what you pay for them. We use modern stainless German blanks that are CNC machined....and have sold THOUSANDS of them, yes, thousands. If you want information on the parts, pm me, and I’ll get you our shop number. Best, Ed

CC85E4C1-9D75-453A-B86D-D028CF94A699.jpeg

wow Rex that information did not have it.  As soon as I can get out I will go and look at the chassis.   

Hello to all!  

, I send more photos so you know how I get there and how I go!  if i could clarify the vin number you could much better investigate the origin of this car!  In Chile there must be about 20 studebakers between president, dictator, comander ...

Also I looking for the original wheels ...

7E17B011-02C3-47F7-B62A-DE1DCB270169.jpeg

7048B5FC-C49E-412D-AA49-58237434937F.jpeg

6D5E3B67-CE23-43BF-B62B-071327AA4F91.jpeg

F93366CA-AE0C-4CBC-87EB-05081F9458ED.jpeg

EAC25CB8-C18C-46EA-9766-0A61DE22F19E.jpeg

CA0B94F6-F0F0-40D3-A7C2-238AFBCB81E6.jpeg

5FD4BF09-0C18-4C97-B8AC-60EB3C37CDC9.jpeg

197435B4-6BE7-4661-A72A-81D55A8AADF4.jpeg

3B249D1C-57AD-420A-8614-7C8D85D83A26.jpeg

3CB45632-0491-4A38-951E-07D0F97C54A0.jpeg

7D0D5E90-D277-4781-A6A5-7ACAB6226FB8.jpeg

4ECE15F6-97BC-4F9B-9065-1A2CD8006D36.jpeg

263FF25E-16F3-41EA-983A-84DAE6ECC4FE.jpeg

643E9E1A-7A99-441E-8101-39C60F294E08.jpeg

22152978-F1E2-42DB-B16C-B42725AB6821.jpeg

CCCDD8D8-8192-45F4-887B-D8A2FFA6CDB4.jpeg

EC20CCA4-F598-42C6-8563-A7767BB8F69D.jpeg

On 5/20/2020 at 7:02 AM, studerex said:

Here is a photo of the frame number on my 32.  His should be in this area if not worn or weathered away.

2890.jpg

Rex,

Just out of curiosity I checked on my '29 FE-E to see if my "VIN" was there and I was unable to see anything after cleaning both areas in front of and behind the 4 rivets. Nothing. I haven't looked at the other FE's yet. Do you know if they did this in '29 or maybe something they started doing later into '32? Trying to help out a few other people missing their frame data plates. Besides there, would there be any other places in the '29s that a serial number might be? It would make sense that there would have to be some other place on the cars as they rolled down the assembly line they would look to confirm the data plate they were attaching to the painted frame matched.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, studerex said:

Here is a photo of the frame number on my 32.  His should be in this area if not worn or weathered away.

2890.jpg

Very good news!!  Finally I find the vin number!!   Can someone help me identify the engine number?  now i can do the auto matching number!  I attach photos!  the number is 6018191!! Thank rex for your coperation!! 

C500D4B4-1ACE-4608-B2E8-0C7864C3A1F0.jpeg

BF161F6A-8503-44B2-95A4-3DB0FEC203BE.jpeg