Please advise..

pont35cpe

Are you speaking of a 1960 Chevrolet six cylinder engine, the 235 cubic inch Blue Flame six? I know they are the same engine family, one generation different, but do not know specifics of bell housing bolt holes between the 235 and the 1936 engine (either 181 or 207 cu in?).

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Are you speaking of a 1960 Chevrolet six cylinder engine, the 235 cubic inch Blue Flame six? I know they are the same engine family, one generation different, but do not know specifics of bell housing bolt holes between the 235 and the 1936 engine (either 181 or 207 cu in?).

Thanks for the reply Frank. The owner of the `36 is wanting to put an inline 6 that has pressurized oil to the rods, not the dippers, and keep his original trans/rear-end.. I`m thinking up thru `54 inlines would probably work, but still a dipper engine. I think `55 was the first pressurized. I was just using 1960 as an example because it has a similar looking block, it was about 1962 when the back of the inline block was changed to where the inlines and V8s used the same bell housing. Thanks again.  Tom

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Bob, i appreciate your reply, could be the deciding factor for my friend to purchase a `59 Apache engine.  Tom

As I said my 39 bolted up to a 60. Can't say for sure a 36 will. There were a few tweaks that had to be made. Exhaust manifold outlet is different. Had to change to a bigger fan. Forget what year worked. Clutch fork needs to be bent slightly to release the clutch. Heat to red heat and bend. trial and error.

I'm pleased with my conversion.

Check with Jim Carter Chevy truck parts. They gave me advice. Most of it good.

Their web site has an "ask Jim" section where you can "ask Jim" your question. He would know about the bolt up.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

1953 Powerglide cars got the 235 with hydraulic lifters and full pressure lubrication. 1954 all Chevrolets got full pressure lubrication*. 1962 was last year for 235, and only in full sized Chevrolets. The Chevy II (Nova) got the new lightweight casting six.

* This is why the 1954 Chevrolet instrument cluster had a 0-60 psi oil gauge instead of the earlier 0-30 psi oil gauge. I learned this shopping for those $10 to $25 used cars when I was in high school!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 10:49 PM, Frank DuVal said:

1953 Powerglide cars got the 235 with hydraulic lifters and full pressure lubrication. 1954 all Chevrolets got full pressure lubrication*. 1962 was last year for 235, and only in full sized Chevrolets. The Chevy II (Nova) got the new lightweight casting six.

* This is why the 1954 Chevrolet instrument cluster had a 0-60 psi oil gauge instead of the earlier 0-30 psi oil gauge. I learned this shopping for those $10 to $25 used cars when I was in high school!

Frank, i`ve tried to send another reply to the PM you sent about another posting, its a no-go. Must go straight to the rabbit hole.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:22 AM, pont35cpe said:

Frank, i`ve tried to send another reply to the PM you sent about another posting, its a no-go. Must go straight to the rabbit hole.

For inline six motors 235 and 216 the bell housings are same only difference in 1949 Chevrolet moved from foot start to push button on the dash. Depending on what vehicle you are putting it in here are things to keep in mind. 

Inline six 235 motors all the way up to 54 have the water pump in the same location as a 216.  When you go to 55-62 the water pump is lower and can cause over heating and or will not fit in the vehicle unless you run an electric fan. For best fitment 54 235 is the best motor to get and run. Other things to keep in mind gas pedal rod on 235 is in  a similar location as the 216 but may require some modification based on application .

1953 235 engines are  the last year of the dipper motors. They are not full pressure motors like the 54-62 motors. 

I have rebuilt 4  1953 235 motors for customers and they are not full oil. 1950-1953 235 motors are the same and they are not full OIL. You flip a early 235 like a 53 and a 216 up side down with the pan off they both look identical with the scoops on the connecting rods. using an early 235 is the same thing as keeping your 216. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, Frank DuVal said:

The 1953 Chevrolet 235 is not full oil pressure it is just like the 216. Same oiling system . Only difference is cubic inch ,side cover is small and the distributor cap is taller.