At it again. Machining parts.

Dandy Dave

Machining parts for an old Chevy Roll off truck we have here. Was loosing oil out of the hydraulic ram that pushes the tilt bed body back and forward. The truck is 35+ years old so I suppose it qualifies to be on here. There was a big gouge in the old ram. Oil puked out all over the road. Here we go again. Tool number one. A South Bend Lathe. 12  foot by 16 inch swing.  

IMG_2582.JPG

• Like 2

The ram rod is chromed on the outside 0.001 thick and already ground to finish at 1.500. That is 1 & 1/2 inches and it is 9 foot long. The end where the piston goes is 1.125. That is an inch and 1/8 th. The nut that fits it is 12 threads to the inch. A tap or die size therefore would be 1-1/8 -12. I did not use a die however, I just threaded it on the lathe. Love these old South Bend lathes with a quick change gear box. Had to cut in a length of 3 inches and thread an inch of that.

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A photo of the old ram with a deep gouge. We think someone at one time had the rear wheel lift extended and ran the body back against it scrapping the ram. That is what caused the damage. Just like someone crudely took a big hammer and a chisel to it. Dandy Dave!  

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave
Never did get no number A fer spellin er gramer. (see edit history)

We have a local Hydraulic supply and repair place not far from here. Mooradian Hydraulics. Their waiting list on cylinder repair is rather long. They have quite a stack of them lined up. I have done enough business there to get to know Dick and Tom. It is a lot faster to get the rod and seals and just do the machining myself. The rod was around $225. They're good guys and the place has an amazing amount or stuff on the shelves. Here's a link. http://www.mooradianhydraulics.com/  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Here’s my attempt at fixing a broken, or in my case missing rod for the ram on this trailer. A 1/8” by 1” cotter pin at a cost of maybe $0.02 worked just fine. Trailer is for a Massey-Ferguson made by Corgi toys of Great Briton. No lathe required!  Your work is always amazing!  Thought you might enjoy the comparison.

F486A208-A407-4235-8428-12D196C7FD28.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Here’s my attempt at fixing a broken, or in my case missing rod for the ram on this trailer. A 1/8” by 1” cotter pin at a cost of maybe $0.02 worked just fine. Trailer is for a Massey-Ferguson made by Corgi toys of Great Briton. No lathe required!  Your work is always amazing!  Thought you might enjoy the comparison.

F486A208-A407-4235-8428-12D196C7FD28.jpeg

Nice Collectable. I had quite a toy collection at one time. I sold it and bought the 15 Buick. Would like to see the tractor that tows it.  

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Will the WHITE fit on the rollback? 

Bob 

I believe it would. However, I move it in my enclosed trailer as it is rather fragile and I believe it would take a beating with the wind against it. 

Just now, Dandy Dave said:

I believe it would. However, I move it in my enclosed trailer as it is rather fragile and I believe it would take a beating with the wind against it. 

I agree, I'm laughing thinking how pampered that truck is inside a trailer. What would Pete Wing say? 🙄

Bob 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, oldford said:

Now we should be able to see the White at any show, not just the ones within 5 miles.🙂

Frank

Actually I had it at the ATCA 50th anniversary National last year at Macungie PA. That was a fantastic show.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I agree, I'm laughing thinking how pampered that truck is inside a trailer. What would Pete Wing say? 🙄

Bob 

Pete would have loved that Truck. It would have been right up his alley. I did mention it to him one time a few years before I bought it and his advice was to go get it.