41 Roadmaster fouling plugs 1/2 HELP

Dynaflash8

The car is a 1941 Buick Series 70 Roadmster, 59K miles.  We have installed a new carburetor, new AC-46 spark plugs and done a compression check (all good).  Spark plug wires are almost new, custom made by a man on ebay.  Distributor recently rebuilt during professional restoration.  Put your foot into it and it runs like a scalded Ape.  Starts good.  has a new accelorator pump and no more faltering.  What is does have, and mechanic is stumped is a slight miss, like a vibration running along easy around 35-40 and plugs 1 & 2 are fouling so you can see it starting with only few miles.  I ordered another set of new wires and another new distributor cap today from Bob's just for a looksee with little hope that will solve the problem  Do any of you Buick mechanical genious' have any ideas.  Tried to call Seybold, but no answer.  HELP.  bca #55

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Common problem on many post war engines I've worked on over 25 years. As previously stated, valve guides but would not cause a skip until after the plugs fouled. You didn't say if the skip was there all the time even after new plugs installed. My bet would be the plug wires off of e bay if skip was constant even with new plugs. Should not be a difficult problem to diagnose with a little trouble shooting. Good luck.

On 5/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Eddie-O said:

Common problem on many post war engines I've worked on over 25 years. As previously stated, valve guides but would not cause a skip until after the plugs fouled. You didn't say if the skip was there all the time even after new plugs installed. My bet would be the plug wires off of e bay if skip was constant even with new plugs. Should not be a difficult problem to diagnose with a little trouble shooting. Good luck.

Read the AACA part of the site.  Matt Harwood answered.  I made a reply.  Problem is everything is new and it didn't miss I don't think before all of this happened.  Question:  If it was a valve guide, would the "umbrella's" help?  They were made by some company I NOW REMEMBER THEY WERE MADE BY CHAMP ITEMS.  I had a set here, but I haven't seen them in a long time.  I used them before I had my '39 Buick engine rebuilt years ago (1965) and they did work.  Car has 59K original miles (almost 60) and I just can't believe it would be valve guides.  But, anything is possible.  I've learned tonight that the front port in the front carburetor is connected to the fuel distribution to 1, 2, 7 and 8.  It could be overloading 1&2 while not overloading 7&8 because of the distance to the carburetor.  Everybody is guessing of course.  Thank you.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:18 AM, Grandpa said:

Could be bad valve guides on cylinders number 1 & 2.

I sure hope not.  Car has 60K original miles on it.  Anybody remember the name of those aftermarket "umbrella's" they used to put on Chevrolet's and Buick's?  IT JUST CAME TO ME.  THE UMBRELLA'S WERE MADE BY CHAMP ITEMS.

I finally got my 41 Buick Roadmaster back today.....said to be repaired.  It was by most people's perception, VERY expensive.  But, I think I had to pay for some on job training time.  In the end they installed a rebuilt distributor and wires that I had in my garage (a Doug Seybold rebuid I hadn't used after having it done), and then they took the NOS front carburetor apart (finally) and discovered a port was blocked by some gunk that had grown in there over the last 75 years or so.  Many more things were done along the way that didn't fix the problem.  This town in Florida is truly a vast wasteland for old cars and old car work.  As a result of this AACA line, I did receive one message from a volunteer mechanic in Clearwater, but my repair was completed today after three weeks.  Keep in mind, my car had to be worked on among all of the modern cars that clog this garage every day making it a very popular shop in this town.

11 hours ago, jvelde said:

Earl, sure hope they got it fixed, know you have been more than ready to get it solved.

John,

I'm more than ready to just get out of this town and go somewhere that's for sure, old, modern or whatever.  To start with, I'm very concerned about staying in any motel anywhere.  Allentown and Hershey are still on my list, but with the cost of this repair and parts, I may skip it and go somewhere else, if I am convinced it is safe to go anywhere else. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

John,

I'm more than ready to just get out of this town and go somewhere that's for sure, old, modern or whatever.  To start with, I'm very concerned about staying in any motel anywhere.  Allentown and Hershey are still on my list, but with the cost of this repair and parts, I may skip it and go somewhere else, if I am convinced it is safe to go anywhere else. 😀

Just do it, Earl. 

Ben

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Personally,  I would not be afraid of any of them'

Ben

Ben: My daughter tells me that in Maryland the motels are closed down.  God help you if you live in New Jersey or Michigan.  At least I have my 41 Buick running, but their is no place to go.