Another Franklin back on the road again....

sunnybaba

First off I would like to thank the other Franklin owners and club members for you freely shared knowledge and advice.....  Air cooled engines and Franklins in particular, are new to me...... I have owned, worked on and driven, many pre 1931 Dodges, Chryslers and model A's ...... But none of them have even come close to the exceptional way this Franklin handled, on these rough, wash boarded dirt roads, that I have to drive on to get to the nearest small town.

After buying this 145 sedan in November of last year, and working on it all winter and early spring... it is now finally insured and back on the road as my weekly driver to town...    The ride is sooooo smooth on these 18 miles of rough roads... and it has to climb out of this canyon, where we live on a 1,500 acre Nature Preserve, bordering the Gila Wilderness area...... we climb and descend 1,000 ft elevation in less than a mile on a narrow loose dirt and rock, one lane road ...... the tires didn't slip or spin on the steep inclines..... the low 'granny' gear was excellent for crawling out of the canyon and especially good for descending....... saving the use of the brakes....  Up on the flat mesa areas, where I could drive in third gear... it has so much power and smooth acceleration ...... I am impressed...... and the steering was very tight and it was not a constant struggle to keep it driving straight and smooth on the uneven, bumpy, wash board road...... the suspension was very smooth... and we did not even feel the wash board areas... that normally rattle my false teeth in our Toyota 4x4 pickup.... it was like floating on a cloud... driving on these rough dirt, country roads ....... This Franklin is by far the most comfortable pre-war vehicle I have driven...... here are a few photos of it's maiden 'voyage'...... on roads of it's era......

DSC07181.JPG    Our House and gardens are seen down in the bottom of the canyon by the creek

DSC07182.JPG

DSC07176.JPG

DSC07178.JPG

DSC07180.JPG

DSC07177.JPG

DSC07172.JPG

DSC07173.JPG

Edited by sunnybaba
to ad text (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice!

I wonder if you will get any grief for using Tennessee plates in New Mexico. . . On the other hand, if you live that far from the nearest small town the local law enforcement may never notice.

Using it as intended......nothing better. Franklin mad a very good car. The fact you drive it in and out of the wilderness is very impressive. You get a very rare thing from me.......👍👍👍 ..........Three thumbs up!

As my redneck family members from West Virginia would say......see you next week the good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise.

PS- If you ride the Franklin hard......don't put her away wet!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Ply33 I have to use the Tennessee plates that Dick Lamphere had with the car, when I bought it, Because the motor vehicle department is closed (because of the Virus scare), here in New Mexico.... so The state is allowing people to drive their vehicles without current registration or plates, but you must have insurance....    I guess I could get away with it anyway, if I didn't get stopped by the police, and asked for my registration....

With most businesses, closed in most of the towns... it is pretty boring going into town... very few cars on the road, all these people wearing masks.... and I can't hug my friends...  oh well... This too will Pass .....

• Like 1

Thank you Ed... coming from you, the three thumbs up is a great sign of approval........ not that I am looking for approval...🙄    as you all can see... many items on this Franklin are not original..... and it hasn't been Restored to original condition...... it all started with Richard Lamphere .... changing all kinds of things on this Franklin.... and he drove it long distances ...   Putting over 200,000 miles on it...... and it has been rebuilt many times.....  it is still running real good and strong........ and I have added many things that it did not have originally..... making it more drive able under today's driving conditions.... keeping it maintained under the tradition  that Mr. Lamphere did....  I know I won't be getting much approval from the preservationists, or the folks that can afford a true Restoration....... This is a poor man's attempt to enjoy the hobby of owning and driving a vintage automobile................

• Like 3

rjp .... I have installed the Best K&M  high flow Air Filter... that I read about, here on the Franklin discussions...... nothing bigger will fit between the carb and the steering box...... unless you installed a remote filter with tubing...... It was pricey.. but one of the Best for our dusty dirt roads... well worth the investment...... 

DSC07183.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

Do you happen to remember what the part number of that filter is?

What is the diameter of the "flange" that goes over the carburettor?

Roger

I used K&N P/N RU0690 on my 1930.  The flange is rubber and is a force fit over the  carb inlet.   According to  the flow charts it has plenty of capacity for our engines.

Gordon

Roger..... My filter is K&N # RU-3560 ...... It fits snug over the 2" carb opening ( I first lubed it with a thin coating of wheel bearing grease, it is rubber)  It is 6 " long and the small end near the steering box is 4 3/4" .... the big end by the carb is 5 1/2"..... I kept the number  because I will surely need another using it as my driver to and from town each week, on this dirt road....

1 minute ago, sunnybaba said:

Roger... my 1930 145 might be 2 1/4" opening.... I don't know... I didn't take off my K&N filter, and measure it, when I responded... you might ask other franklin owners.. I think the 1930 and 1931 have the same carb...

Yes, I've finally found a K&N catalogue online and trawled through it - the 3560 is also 2¼" opening like the 0690. The 3560 is a tapered filter, and the 0690 is a straight sided one.

Roger

17 hours ago, sunnybaba said:

Roger..... My filter is K&N # RU-3560 ...... It fits snug over the 2" carb opening ( I first lubed it with a thin coating of wheel bearing grease, it is rubber)  It is 6 " long and the small end near the steering box is 4 3/4" .... the big end by the carb is 5 1/2"..... I kept the number  because I will surely need another using it as my driver to and from town each week, on this dirt road....

Sunny,

Are you aware that K&N filters are meant to be washable so that you don't have to replace them ?

The main reason they are so expensive is the synthetic *  filtering material can withstand cleaning . You can either buy K&N's expensive cleaning kit or,..... blow off as much loose dust as you can from inside to outside with a compressor. Then wash the filter with mild detergent and hot water. Rinse by flushing with water from the inside to push dirt particles outward from the filter material. Shake off excess and let dry overnight.

Paul

*Edit. Not all the filters are synthetic. Many are layered and coated cotton.

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

2 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Yes, I've finally found a K&N catalogue online and trawled through it - the 3560 is also 2¼" opening like the 0690. The 3560 is a tapered filter, and the 0690 is a straight sided one.

Roger

Roger,

Here's pix of tapered K&N filters on a 30 Roadster, and one on the T. Adams' 151 Conv Coupe. As you can see they fit both year U-3 carbs, which are the same castings. And the rear-leaning angle of the 31 choke cable clamp is not a problem.

They are more than large enough for the Franklin engine's breathing needs. They just touch the steering box enough to be supported by it. The insulation wrap on the 30 exhaust pipe is because a previous deep South owner was trying to keep floor board temps down.   The end of the filters clears the exhaust pipe enough not to get too hot.

Paul

1 003.jpg

DSCN4315.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Roger

Being cylindrical, the RU-0690 bends the mounting flange area excessively because it doesn't clear the steering box as well as the tapered RU- 3560 does.

Paul

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sunnybaba said:

The Series 11B, 12, and 13 carburetors are the ones with a 2 inch choke horn. For those size carbs the K&N HA-0510 will work. They also fit the new Zenith replacement carbs I sell.  Here's a 12A with an even smaller tapered K&N (I don't know what the K&N number is). Looks like it would be too small, but I had the good fortune to get a chance to drive this car at the 2019 Trek and it preformed very well at top speed and on the hills. So the HA-0510 is plenty big enough, even for the larger 135/137 engines.  

Paul 

DSCN8073.JPG

• Like 2

Digging through my carb notes, there is a cylindrical K&N for Series 14 and 15 engines, that clears the steering box, and is further away from the exhaust pipe. It's the RU-0630. It's only 4 inches long by 4.5 inch diameter.

Works very well.  T. Adams had that K&N  filter on his 151 Town Sedan and drove it for tens of thousands of miles around the country...including cross country to a West Trek and back.

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for all this Paul. I was going to go measure my Series 15 and maybe make a cardboard template to see which of the filters would fit best. There's quite an assortment of filters, both straight and tapered with the 2¼ opening.

The RU-0630 sounds good if it's further from the exhaust pipe. And at $44 it's a bit cheaper than some of the others which seem to be around $60.

Roger

Edited by theKiwi (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Roger.

There might be other K&N filters that will also fit, but those are the ones that have been used on Franklins, so I know they work.  

With Sunny's dusty roads, the roughly 60% larger surface area of the long tapered RU-3560 will work better than the shorter cylindrical RU-0630 before it starts to clog up and become restrictive, thus making the carb run richer. That not only wastes gas and power, and it can lead to carbon build up on valve stems and cause valve sticking.

Paul 

I think that with the larger tapered filter, plus if the driver' side engine splash pan is still in place, he'll be fine. That engine pan does a lot to keep the dust from the left front tire from getting up into that side of the engine thanks to so much air flow coming through the large opening of the hood front and creating a slightly higher air pressure zone above the splash pan. 

Unlike the downdraft engines, that pan doesn't contribute to that side of the engine running hot, which can cause vapor lock, like downdraft engines.... unless it's a poorly adjusted engine making the fuel system more prone than most. Usually, sidedraft engine cars are more likely to have "turnpike icing" of the carburetor - and not suffer from over heating of the fuel system if kept  moving. But, being stuck in traffic on a very hot day and all bets are off !   

Paul

• Like 1

Here is the K & N I have had on my '31 Vic for many years. All you do is get neck size; etc. 
EDIT: PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SIGNING OUT AS 'RICHARD DRYMAN' AND SIGNING IN AS 'FRANKLIN31'.
THAT  WAS MY NAME EARLIER (AND I FORGOT THAT--HAPPENS WHEN YOU HAVE TOO MANY BIRTHDAYS & HAVE BEEN AWAY FROM THE FRANKLIN FOR A WHILE).  SORRY !!
DIFFERENT MEMBER NAME--SAME PERSON --SAME '31 VICTORIA BROUGHAM
1555393507_Franklinairfilter.thumb.jpg.07c0a424c3c2754e47dced67ffe4292b.jpg

Edited by Richard Dryman
PROFILE NAME CHANGE (see edit history)