Reatta parts have changed over the years

Jim

Today i am taking a Reatta to the crusher. ( it is a local junk yard and he doesn't care what I add in the car )

Back when I first got into Reatta parts, long before the high priced sellers, I sold my first vent window for $ 1200. I then sold them for $ 850 then $ 450 then $ 250. Last summer I brought some the the BCA national meet for $ 45 and didn't sell any.

Today the car going to the crusher will have the vent windows still in it.

I am also including in the car about 20 complete parking light assemblies and about 20 console tops.

I would include more non selling Reatta parts but the car is full.

That is sad but typical since Reattas are 1) Old and 2) Not yet collectible. I have in the attic a complete windshield and a pair of vent windows. Think I put them there in the '00s. Only thing I've needed recently  required stripping the tuner/amp module from a good '90 radio for my 88. Module I bought new from MNR about a decade ago took a dump.

Which brings up the thought: which is more valuable: a 90-91 cassette radio or an 88-89 tuner/amp module ?

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Today i am taking a Reatta to the crusher. ( it is a local junk yard and he doesn't care what I add in the car )

Back when I first got into Reatta parts, long before the high priced sellers, I sold my first vent window for $ 1200. I then sold them for $ 850 then $ 450 then $ 250. Last summer I brought some the the BCA national meet for $ 45 and didn't sell any.

I am also including in the car about 20 complete parking light assemblies and about 20 console tops.

I agree Jim.

I now go to Gibson's and only grab the "bling" [IPC and 1990  headlight switch ] of any Riv or Reatta that comes in. I leave the rest there and pull from the car only if I get a call for a part I need from it. No cost for my inventory and no storage either.

Right now I have a 1989 Red/Tan Reatta that runs great [getting rusty and has a scrape or two], throws no codes and even has working ABS and A/C! I will pull the entire Teves system including the knuckles that hold the front ABS leads, and EBCM to put in my early production '88 and then junk the car. Don't need the other parts and my buddy needs the storage as I left the car at his place. 

Several of us have discussed the parts situation at past BCA national meets....usually over a soft drink (mid-day)

There is little demand for body parts.   The things that sell are the parts that wear out and electrical.

One major issue we have seen is insurance companies.........if your Reatta is damaged/wrecked, they want to write a check and scrap the car.

It seems it is cheaper (in the long run) than for them to try and find replacement part,  deal with a picky owner,  and their adjustor have plenty of other newer

vehicles on their list of things to do.  

Ask anyone that has their Reatta in an accident and probably none of them could get the insurance company to fix the car.   The solution is to work a deal

where you keep the car and get it repaired on your own.... you find the parts etc.   Sometimes this is a problem because there seem to be different rules by state

that can cause the car to get a salvage or scrap title if it is wrecked and not repaired via the insurance process.

Maybe we need to start a discussion on this subject to help owners in the future on how to deal with the insurance company to keep their car.

If the radio works I'd be interested in the module. Can just pull the top of the console (clip on handle, pull handle, pull shifter plate, four torx screws and off) to get access. Delivered to 32819 ?

As for titles, the key is to never, never, NEVER surrender the title to anyone and keep the wreck at home locked in a garage if possible (AAA will drop at house). Then perform all negotiations with agant but do not ever relinquish the title even for an instant. Only give up  the title if decide not to keep the car and then only in exchange for a check.

In Florida a "clean" title costs the ins co $70 and a salvage title $7. Guess which the ins co does.

16 hours ago, Jim said:

I wish you would have offered them up, for shipping and packing fee.

I would have grabbed them, for no other reason but bc they are rare.

I only got rid of the excess and ones that were not in the best of condition.

I do have more of all the parts I mentioned plus others and can be reached at   reattas60@gmail.com

• Like 1

I used to buy these cars when they were new from the salvage insurance auctions. I also used to sell vent windows to body shops for almost what I paid for the car. But back then the cars were so expensive it took a lot of damage to total the car. In 1995 or so I tried to buy a new fender from Buick and they were discontinued and none in stock-for a 5 or so year old car. Recently a local salvage yard called to tell me they just got in a Reatta if I wanted. Complete running car with rusty quarters (they already cut the catalytic convertor out). $600, and if it doesn't move I can send it back for my $600. Good windshield dash lights up, headlights work, decent seats, latches, etc all good. I received only one response asking if I will sell just the windshield. (I am not longer collecting arts, so no I won't sell parts off of it). 

I also buy Cadillac Allantes. At one time the glass headlights, the taillights and the front and rear bumpers (made out of hard plastic) would be in such high demand I shipped them all over. I recently bought a 67k mile 93 needing a fender and front bumper only from the insurance auction. They paid out about $9000 for the car sold it to me for $600 plus a few hundred in fees. How does that even make sense. I am now selling just about all my cars as it just isn't the same as before. 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:01 PM, tbenvie said:

I used to buy these cars when they were new from the salvage insurance auctions. I also used to sell vent windows to body shops for almost what I paid for the car. But back then the cars were so expensive it took a lot of damage to total the car. In 1995 or so I tried to buy a new fender from Buick and they were discontinued and none in stock-for a 5 or so year old car. Recently a local salvage yard called to tell me they just got in a Reatta if I wanted. Complete running car with rusty quarters (they already cut the catalytic convertor out). $600, and if it doesn't move I can send it back for my $600. Good windshield dash lights up, headlights work, decent seats, latches, etc all good. I received only one response asking if I will sell just the windshield. (I am not longer collecting arts, so no I won't sell parts off of it). 

I also buy Cadillac Allantes. At one time the glass headlights, the taillights and the front and rear bumpers (made out of hard plastic) would be in such high demand I shipped them all over. I recently bought a 67k mile 93 needing a fender and front bumper only from the insurance auction. They paid out about $9000 for the car sold it to me for $600 plus a few hundred in fees. How does that even make sense. I am now selling just about all my cars as it just isn't the same as before. 

but people are saying I paid too much at $400 for this reatta no rust and needed a timing chain! Lol 

Let me tell you what happened- Some vendors were selling parts for too much. It soured the market. As a result people began to avoid the reattas especially as prices for the cars plummeted. So then people moved on to other cars. Demand also went down as a decent driver reatta price went up and most of the low price ones are junk. Then you have stupid articles about what an electronic ‘nightmare’ the car is which is purely not true. 

0FC34810-10A1-4BE4-87ED-928CDFB98A37.jpeg

F60B1F81-2A7E-4B00-B50D-9BE43D523EBA.jpeg

2 hours ago, MarkV said:

but people are saying I paid too much at $400 for this reatta no rust and needed a timing chain! Lol 

Let me tell you what happened- Some vendors were selling parts for too much. It soured the market. As a result people began to avoid the reattas especially as prices for the cars plummeted. So then people moved on to other cars. Demand also went down as a decent driver reatta price went up and most of the low price ones are junk. Then you have stupid articles about what an electronic ‘nightmare’ the car is which is purely not true. 

0FC34810-10A1-4BE4-87ED-928CDFB98A37.jpeg

F60B1F81-2A7E-4B00-B50D-9BE43D523EBA.jpeg

id say that car was worth at least 1500 when you bought.as i said MUCH nicer than mine.

Thought I said you got a great deal (New York Minute). Problem is they are still popping up on CraigsList for a grand or so mostly trash. That is holding prices down, is certainly a lot better car than a Chrysler TC and lots more room than a Crossfire. The only advantage an Allante has (93) is a Northstar but the displays do not take sun well. The Reatta is a little short in power (why an L67 is a popular swap but then the 4T60 is marginal). These daze 250-300 hp is lots better than 165 slow winding hp. Torque hasn't changed much just my 3.6 CTS has a 7,000 rpm redline and 304 hp. If anything the electronics are easier to deal with on a Reatta if you have the proper tools. Reprogramming is easy..

Only reason I sold my 'vert was no more cloth tops for me. Personal choice.

I’m glad I’m out   Like Jim I threw a lot of NOS and misc parts out. I threw 3 Craftsman Logs with pens out. I threw 6 service manuals out.  Reatta hobby is dead. Let it Rest In Peace. 

I really like that silver 1991 convertible Barney posted in the Buy Sell for a seller for $5000 but I’m demoralized by these cars.  

I sold the 88 earliest VIN Reatta left for $500 with a nice parts car and as many parts as I could give him   

This early production car #105 in any other collected car would have been saved by someone in the club. But Reattas club participants aren’t interested.  These aren’t Corvettes or Mustangs. Even the number of fix requests for Reattas is way down.  If they reset the post numbers for this forum it would be virtually nil.  

Well Ronnie has posted most of the fixes from past years. And its not just Reattas, tell me anything that is doing well these days, just too many interesting/fast cars this century many findable under $10k.

In many ways my CTS Coupe is a modern Reatta, two seater with a 6 cyl (304 hp) and has an 8" touchscreen. Even has a roof vent.

You are correct there’s a downward spiral for most of these modern halo cars to collect.  But the Reatta and perhaps the Allante are exceptional in this spiral.  It’s a curiosity to me why the Reatta has suffered so badly.  The guy that thinks he got a deal for $400 is now in over $1000.     

Part but not all of the problem is the demand for the modern muscle car created by the mustangs the Camaros and the Dodge Challenger.   

When I go to the local show and shine car shows you see all summer long in the festival season they are now predominately the new late class muscle cars dominated. 

Restoration cost as we know for most cars exceeds by three or four times the value of the car if trying to market.  

We know this should not be the primary reason to restore a car and in most cases it’s not but it’s still a deciding factor not to restore the older cars pre-Reatta.  To me, even though my experience did not work out it was mostly due to timing.  I wanted to restore # 105 but it needed done in my previous residence which had a 3 car heated and A/C man cave garage.  

I found the Reatta easy to begin the Restoration process.  Small easy to lift easy to gain access I never had a problem in that respect.  

With all of the parts support and knowledge support I don’t understand why more people are not restoring Reattas.  To heck with buying either worn out beaters or nice drivers.  But the Reatta culture has never been to restore, but rather to maintain it, or buy from the surplus of so called “nice drivers”.  And there are plenty of low mileage 1 of Reattas to satisfy the small cadre of collectors like Marck B. 

There are many examples of rarer Reatta color combinations of cars that drew zero buzz from this forum to collect and preserve. I tried. But as Dave knows, there are so many Reattas that the insanity needs to stop.   I had a 1988 Select 60 with the correct and rare hood badge and it brought $700.  Who knows what happened to it?!   I had the Driftwood convertible 1 of 60 or so. Yawn.  I had a 1 of 1 car I bought from Marck to restore with #105, sold for pennies.  When I tried to provide seed money for the purchase of the Silver and Blue 1988 in Michigan that Kevin found (I think) - no interest.  

If these same "1 of" or early production cars would have been stupid Chevy muscle cars, oh my gawd! the collector crowd would have gone nuts!  But for Reatta folks, it's a waste of time.   Everybody in the Reatta world is pretty selfish.  I know that's a strong word to use, but we each have our reasons and interest in OUR car, but not in the well being of the name.  And so Reattas are going away, and losing their place in a company (Buick) that now could care less about 1. an American built Buick and 2. a passenger car.   Reattas and the last gen Rivieras are the last collector Buicks built and designed by Americans. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

And not only do I have a $600 parts car with no interest I have 90 convert, black/tan interior and top with 42k miles.$4800 and no interest. This car should be worth three times that. I also have a complete 92 champagne/tan Allante parts car-bad engine-and three 91s for $4000 each with no interest: 91 blk/tan 60k miles, 91 wht/blk 105k miles, 91 champagne/tan 87k miles. I see these advertised for $10-19k all the time and wonder if they sell for that much. 

IMG_7306.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbenvie said:

And not only do I have a $600 parts car with no interest I have 90 convert, black/tan interior and top with 42k miles.$4800 and no interest. This car should be worth three times that. I also have a complete 92 champagne/tan Allante parts car-bad engine-and three 91s for $4000 each with no interest: 91 blk/tan 60k miles, 91 wht/blk 105k miles, 91 champagne/tan 87k miles. I see these advertised for $10-19k all the time and wonder if they sell for that much. 

IMG_7306.jpeg

They do not.  I purchased a 1993 Polo Green and Biscuit Allante last year to use in Cadillac club events.  I sold it as a casualty of divorce.  It was a dealer car.  Asked $6500.  Extremely clean and dealer detailed. 110,000 miles $5000 out the door with plates.  Loved it.  Put it on eBay.  Sold for $3800.  Then check engine light. Needed tune up after sold.  So I paid $850 and netted $2900.  Meanwhile stupid dealers locally run Allante ads for months at $8700.  Crickets no sale.  They don’t sell.  Eventually the dealers quietly wholesale them.  They don’t even waste their time with Reattas.   

Probably not. Other than the 93 Northstar Allantes are pretty plebian. Personally do not care for the steering wheels and in Florida particularly the digital dash elements get sun burned easily. I might be interested in one that included the hardtop (standard in early years) and was in very good condition otherwise. Just have not been looking. Have been looking at XLRs but might be interested in the right Allante.

From what I am seeling about listing dates and relistings, nothing is selling but asking prices are still too high.

ps sold my '90 'vert, very nice and new haartz top, cold AC for a bit over $5k about six months ago. 100k miles held back prolly.. Plan for my 88 Coupe to be in my estate sale.

It’s a Buick too.  By having the reputation as an old mans car doesn’t help the brand in general. I haven’t met anyone else remotely my age outside of BCA events that even knows what this car is. And even at those events they seem to be overlooked. I’ve been the only reatta at every car show I’ve went to except one. My most asked question is “what’s that?”  I only found out about this car because of when Buick introduced the cascade and some article I read mentioned that it was the first convertible in 25 years. I looked up what that was and found out about these. I don’t know if I would have even gotten into these if I didn’t read that article. 

A BCA Minuteman Chapter good friend of mine always called the Reatta a "Regretta" because he laughed at me for owning two together years back.  He'd say "get a real Buick, not some Regretta"! 

2 hours ago, dship said:

A BCA Minuteman Chapter good friend of mine always called the Reatta a "Regretta" because he laughed at me for owning two together years back.  He'd say "get a real Buick, not some Regretta"! 

Have you Regrettaed buying yours? :)

OK two things. My fan controller (in the ac duct) shorted and took the battery with it. My spare seems to have failed open. My spare spare (OK 07) seems to work but now I need a good spare to replace the spare spare as a spare.. Please give price with shipping to 32819.

Second have decided against the XLR for now (people too proud and do not respond) and have moved to the other end of the spectrum: the Allante. Are quite a few in the $6k range like a 93 with Northstar but 115k miles and an 89 4.5 but 64k miles. Both are very presentable and have the hardtop (Reatta never had a removable hardtop). and I understand and can program ALDL computers. Press off and hot to go into diagnostics so understand better than Bosch computers in Caddies.

Is actually the third time I've looked at Allantes, maybe this time...

ps I am having a very low success rate in contacting CraigsList sellers, is this common now ?

13 minutes ago, padgett said:

the Allante. Are quite a few in the $6k range like a 93 with Northstar but 115k miles and an 89 4.5 but 64k miles.

You are aware of the N* head bolt problems aren't you?  I have a friend that has a Caddy with a N* sitting in the yard that runs and looks good but won't hold water because the heads are loose.  He's tightened them up but they just came back loose again because the studs won't hold proper torque. They sell a repair kit but it's not a cheap or simple fix.  Some people call the repair process "Studding your Northstar". Robert calls it "Being studded by a Northstar". 😂

• Haha 1

Thank you Ronnie. Is sounding like the 200hp 4.5 is "enough" and uses essentially the same trans and the same "vent windows" as the Reatta. The quad-4 had about a dozen revisions of the head bolt process (son had a 90 GA with a Q-4) and always thought the Northstar was two quad-4s. Am wondering why the 90-92 is considered better than an 88-89 but the hardtop is a big plus for me.

Now seems strange that am not getting any response to CL inquries.

Lots of changes in mid 90, most notably the front top has electric motors and the seat controls were improved immensely. The center stack also changed and the cassette is different and a CD added. The top became optional in mid 90 but not hard to find and the early ones can be used with not much modification. 93 tops are very hard to find but the earlier ones can also be used-but the elimination of the vent window requires new weatherstripping.

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Have you Regrettaed buying yours? :)

Not in the least bit.  Current '91 happens to be one of nineteen having white exterior w/ flame red interior.  Sold the '91 polo green exterior w/ saddle interior a few years ago.

I've owned two Eldorado's with Northstar engines....a '99 ETC which I sold long ago and my current '00 ESC.  By 1999, Northstar's had been re-engineered enough to pretty much resolve the head problem.  I personally have never had any engine issue with either one of my Eldo's (current '00 ESC has 80K miles).  Both have had brake line issues, though.  I've been told that Caddys' are just Buicks' with bad engines....case in point the notorious 4100 and the Northstar.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kevin M said:

It’s a Buick too.  By having the reputation as an old mans car doesn’t help the brand in general. I haven’t met anyone else remotely my age outside of BCA events that even knows what this car is. And even at those events they seem to be overlooked. I’ve been the only reatta at every car show I’ve went to except one. My most asked question is “what’s that?”  I only found out about this car because of when Buick introduced the cascade and some article I read mentioned that it was the first convertible in 25 years. I looked up what that was and found out about these. I don’t know if I would have even gotten into these if I didn’t read that article. 

id love to have a 1970 gs or an early riv.

From my understanding the north star had almost all the main head gasket issues addressed by the early 2000s. And final improvements around 04-5. Would make sense because I see a large number of high mile DTS’s for sale 

BTW had a 70 GS 4speed/AC car I used to autocross, now have a 70 Judge (same). Satisfies need for speed so prefer a 4.5 l with vent windows to control breeze.

What is going on with CraigsList that no-one responds to an inquiry ?

17 hours ago, padgett said:

Thank you Ronnie. Is sounding like the 200hp 4.5 is "enough" and uses essentially the same trans and the same "vent windows" as the Reatta. The quad-4 had about a dozen revisions of the head bolt process (son had a 90 GA with a Q-4) and always thought the Northstar was two quad-4s. Am wondering why the 90-92 is considered better than an 88-89 but the hardtop is a big plus for me.

Now seems strange that am not getting any response to CL inquries.

Padgett

I was in the Cadillac LaSalle Club for 3 years recently and received most of my Cadillac engine knowledge from the forum there.  92 was supposedly the best non Northstar year because of the bulletproof 4.5 200 hp motor. 

While head bolt issues plagued early Northstars it is known that Allante Northstars were hand built.  They were $67,000 cars in 1993, about a $90,000 car now.  But - there is more to it.  The top mechanisms are nasty.  They seize in weird positions and are a multi step process requiring a strong battery and perfect execution.   Fewer technicians know how to fix them.  Reatta convertibles are so much easier.  

I liked my Allante but I would pass. 

Thank you Jake but my criteria are different. 89 was the first year for the 4.5 and the last with a standard hardtop & before airbags (biggest drawback is the Chevvy style steering wheel, I hold at 10 and 2). The wheels I have for Reattae fit, looks like my spare 4T60 will fit also (F-7 just has a different valve body). Reason I have an SLK and was looking at the XLR was the retractable hardtop, AC works much better and quieter. Was thinking about a C5 targa with 6 speed but have had 'vettes.

My 88 sunroof coupe will be in my estate sale but the 'vert never had a hardtop. Trouble is I respond to advts and never get a reply. Maybe is because I always ask for the VIN.

Not in any rush, just have an empty slot at moment am sure the right one will come along.