1940 248 c.i. valve cover lettering

Talarico8447

Does someone know one way or another if the 1940 248 engine came from the factory with the Dynaflash lettering ? I thought it only came on the 320.

I know you see a lot of 248's with the Dynaflash lettering but I think when people restore a 1940 they put the lettering on because they think it belongs.

There is a lot of photos and information out there but its supported both ways.

If you are concerned about loosing show car judging points, contact the club that will be judging your car for their opinion. 

Just make sure you get it in writing from the head judge.  Note: Different judges from different clubs often have different opinions.

5 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

If you are concerned about loosing show car judging points, contact the club that will be judging your car for their opinion. 

Just make sure you get it in writing from the head judge.  Note: Different judges from different clubs often have different opinions.

Good point!

Yes I am concerned about judging. Thanks for the tip.

• 4 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 11:25 AM, neil morse said:

For whatever this is worth, Bob's Automobilia sells two different valve cover decals for 39-40, one for the 248 and one for the 320.

https://bobsautomobilia.com/handles-and-knobs/1939-40-ser.40-50-lasor-cut-valve-cover-decal-.-vc-12/

Note the 320 decal is numbered VC12L, while the 240 is VC12. The 320 is about 7 inches longer than the 248. I will have to order one for my rebuild

unless I can find the one I know is floating around. My super didn't have one when I bought it in 1969 and the engine was black. I have heard this was the primer color and cleaning had removed the original paint. I have yet to see a 1940 without the Dynaflash decal in the over 50 years I have owned mine.

The oil filter is the wrong color in the picture. The sock under the oil filler cap is to prevent the blow by oil from messing up the valve cover. Hence, the rebuild

in progress. The air filter decal is Chevy but has been on the car many years.

IMG_0657 A.jpg

The black engines were replacement engines.  Can you take a photo of your engine serial number and share it in this thread? 

Your oil filter colors may correct.  I'll have to search, but someone provided a very nice write-up on oil filter colors a short while back.

• 1 month later...