Two pre-war Roadmaster convertibles

Good eye, Bill. I was too busy looking at the bad engine paint and buggered up air cleaner and didn't even notice the carb. On the other hand, the 4-barrel is rare (1-year-only) and probably gives it some extra pep. I have a 4-barrel intake on the shelf and I know Doug S. uses one on his favorite '40 Century convertible sedan tour car. I probably wouldn't remove it in this car's case, but I'd at least try to make it look OEM.

13 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

You'll see more action in the last hour or so of the auction. I would wager that the reserve won't be met. Bring-A-Nitpicker is the wrong venue for a car like that.

13 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

You'll see more action in the last hour or so of the auction. I would wager that the reserve won't be met. Bring-A-Nitpicker is the wrong venue for a car like that.

Having never bid on BAT , wondered do they show reserve , I know on eBay you keep bidding then message says reserve met and on the I bidder site  I use in Uk they state at onset the reserve or no reserve , better system I feel.

having looked at similar cars to the 41 would expect the reserve to be high so like me all us dreamers are dreaming 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Prewar cars are starting to bring more money on that site. I know you like to trash and dismiss BaT, but I’ll wager it is exposing more young people to Prewar cars then anything else out there. In addition to your “nitpickers”, there are plenty of comments from people expressing a new-found appreciation for these cars. 

8 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Having never bid on BAT , wondered do they show reserve , I know on eBay you keep bidding then message says reserve met and on the I bidder site  I use in Uk they state at onset the reserve or no reserve , better system I feel.

having looked at similar cars to the 41 would expect the reserve to be high so like me all us dreamers are dreaming 

BaT indicates When there is no reserve in the auction title. The sellers can reveal if a reserve has been met, or if the bidding is close.

4A7D2CD8-8B9D-486F-A9C3-FCA83F9395A8.jpeg

6C9C5961-6A93-4FE4-A03F-1C95F6A1AD3C.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

The 39 made 34k , seems cheap to me , like to know the experts thoughts , over you guys 

Here's a non-expert opinion...without seeing the car in person.

I wouldn't call it cheap, but it seems like a good value. These cars' values have a downward trajectory, so I'd say the buyer got a jump on this trend. 

I think I said it in the other thread--I'd happily roll the dice on the yellow '39 at that price. If it hasn't unwound by now, it's not going to, so I'm not too concerned about the bodywork comments (which are just guesses from the photos anyway). Probably a good tour car, very rare, and always worth at least that much money.

The black '41 Roadmaster should bring $45-50 easily. If they had spent some time to clean it up, they could probably pull even more, but as it sits it looks kind of neglected and probably has some needs. I doubt it'll make reserve. The dearth of discussion on it suggests there isn't much interest and even less knowledge aside from two or three posters (one of whom I recognize from this board).

17 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I think I said it in the other thread--I'd happily roll the dice on the yellow '39 at that price. If it hasn't unwound by now, it's not going to, so I'm not too concerned about the bodywork comments (which are just guesses from the photos anyway). Probably a good tour car, very rare, and always worth at least that much money.

The black '41 Roadmaster should bring $45-50 easily. If they had spent some time to clean it up, they could probably pull even more, but as it sits it looks kind of neglected and probably has some needs. I doubt it'll make reserve. The dearth of discussion on it suggests there isn't much interest and even less knowledge aside from two or three posters (one of whom I recognize from this board).

Having looked a similar cars and the prices asking , I agree with your estimate Matt , but as I thought the 39 made 10k less than what I expected , so keeping with that in mind went for 36 

are you going to be more precise and name a figure for charities sake , I will amend my offer to any charity as long as they accept PayPal as have no other way of paying in the states .

Speculating on an exact number is tough, especially in an auction setting. It could lay an egg or it could go nuts because two people really want it. I watched a 1985 Toyota sell for $35,000 yesterday. That's completely nuts. But it happens and it's unpredictable. The right number is probably close to $60,000 for a decent, usable, functional Roadmaster convertible (the best ones often crest $100K). But on that site I doubt the money will show up. They're not pre-war guys, they're not American car guys (other than Corvettes), and they're definitely not Buick guys.

I'm working on an article for the CCCA about Full Classic Buicks and wondering why they're so tragically overlooked. Granted, I'm a little biased, but at the same time, I have more seat time in a variety of cars than most and the Buicks always over-deliver compared to their Cadillac, Lincoln, and Packard competitors. Yes, the Buicks were cheaper when they were new so maybe they should be cheaper today, but I don't really understand why people look down their noses at Buicks. It might simply be what they are today that's coloring peoples' impressions of them in the past. That's something I'll have to examine.

• Like 2

Good information Matt , I’m definitely  a Buick lover , sadly sold my Beutiful 53 special convertible due to suitable storage problems

but since then have been looking for replacement, while I sort new garage this year . Convertibles are warm dry climate cars ,so I keep my cars in Cyprus , but due to this covid 19 pandemic, I’m not able to return yet , otherwise I would have bid on the 39 , Missed opportunity as was within my budget . Will watch 41 with interest and hope it reaches beyond my budget

cheers

pilgrim

The 41 is nice and would be my preference over a 39 any day and I had a 39 Convert. If you start looking at the close ups,  It has alot of small things that will turn into big things unless someone just drives it.  Rubber cracked and falling off the rear stone guards.  paint that looks like it cracked and came off above the hood trim and touched up,  which might lead to the paint being worse than expected.  Hopefully those are the only issues, but we all know where that paint job ends up. Great car to just buy and enjoy,  but I'm along with the 35 range estimate.  Not that one can't live with paint chips and flakes but always seems to be a huge detriment to value when you go to sell.   Looks like a good undercarriage but the quick black paint job over the surface rust doesn't do much other than say they didn't want it to look surface rusted underneath which pretty much every unrestored car from this era has that "patina"  Doesn't look like they took much of any time to clean it first.

Still a great car that would be fabulous to own.  Just pointing things out I bet most bidders spot and base their low bid on. 

• Like 1

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1939-buick-roadmaster-phaeton-convertible-81c/

1939 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton Convertible 81-C

Sold For $34,000 On 5/11/20

And the 1941 as Matt's info above

ht astps://www.oldforgemotorcars.com/vehicles?q[make_eq]=Buick

• 11 months later...

I ended up with the 41 76C from Old Forge, I have been very pleased with the car. It needed some minimal mechanical recommissioning but runs like a champ now. I am currently working on the installation of the Fog Lights, tracking down that switch for the dash was a job! The hood definitely needs paint. It’s a mini rly deteriorated restoration that’s a delightful car to drive. Someone clearly invested in it when it was spruced up originally. Cheers! 

072C98D5-BF3D-4A9B-A9EA-7982B64A84B3.jpeg.719c7a99a634c0dcb27d97a137e6e512.jpegB2EE5369-25D1-4FA2-86AF-24B2FFCA658B.jpeg.3bb5809900b5ff6cd3d9ca3fe0575dc0.jpegDABE4F74-096D-4523-B509-B94B38DCEE26.jpeg.acda1ecdfeb560d4ae264b522aee5613.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1mortician said:

I ended up with the 41 76C from Old Forge, I have been very pleased with the car. It needed some minimal mechanical recommissioning but runs like a champ now. I am currently working on the installation of the Fog Lights, tracking down that switch for the dash was a job! The hood definitely needs paint. It’s a mini rly deteriorated restoration that’s a delightful car to drive. Someone clearly invested in it when it was spruced up originally. Cheers! 

072C98D5-BF3D-4A9B-A9EA-7982B64A84B3.jpeg.719c7a99a634c0dcb27d97a137e6e512.jpegB2EE5369-25D1-4FA2-86AF-24B2FFCA658B.jpeg.3bb5809900b5ff6cd3d9ca3fe0575dc0.jpegDABE4F74-096D-4523-B509-B94B38DCEE26.jpeg.acda1ecdfeb560d4ae264b522aee5613.jpeg

Nice car!

• Thanks 1

Beautiful car! All you need to dress it up is a set of "elephant ears". I think I might go out in my 71C with my wife today....

I suspect the 41 Roadmaster did not come from the factory, new, with fender skirts.  It is missing the rocker molding extensions on the bottom of the rear fender stone pads.  Reproductions are available for about $800 a pair, if I remember correctly. It needs to be finished correctly.  However, it is a CCCA Full Classic................as is the '39 Roadmaster, 4 bbl or not.  I can't figure out the driveshaft on the '39. It doesn't seem to have a torque tube.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 9:20 AM, alsancle said:

I can't stop my Roadmaster from vapor locking here in Florida.  Keep having to turn on the electric fuel pump to clear it driving down the road at 60.  All of a sudden it will start starving for gas.  Changing fuel pumps doesn't help.  That isn't normal since I'm using Murphy's hi-test non-ethanol gas.  I wonder if that is really like the gas we always used.  My '39 Special was doing the same thing on ethanol, but it hasn't done it YET on this version of non-ethanol.  We are getting a WAWA within the next year.  Yous is really a Nice car!

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2021 at 10:47 PM, 1mortician said:

Fabulous! Your car look stunning.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 41 76C here in Australia from a guy who is unwell. It requires a full restoration but is well priced, 100% complete and comes with an enormous amount of parts including all chrome & die-cast fully restored, new glass, wiring harness, 5 x new tires, complete exhaust, all rust repair sections required (from Doug Seybold), restored suspension, enormous list of NOS parts, complete trunk tools. Needless to say I'm very keen to get stuck into the restoration.

Where are you located?

Cheers, Grant

Adelaide, South Australia

• Like 1