37 Buick coupe part ID requested

John Jacques

I am in the process of restoring a 1937 Buick series 40 Opera Coupe. I purchased the vehicle from an estate sale. Currently I am reinstalling the door hardware and have door rain gutters to install. I tried researching how to install them, but,  I cannot find any information. I only recently identified them through a sale listing; otherwise, I had no idea what to call them.  Please take a look at the attached photos and help me out.  Another question I have is: are there any inner and outer belt line door w/strips? If so, where could I purchase just these w/strips without buying a whole 6,8,10, piece set?

Thanks, Jakes

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

Pieces shown mount to the inside lip of the front doors above the vent windows. These need to be applied to the door before the vent window and rubber are installed. I`m not understanding your other question, do you mean the inside garnish molding? Dave Tacheny parts out `36-`41 Buicks 763 427-3460 m-f 4-7pm central time

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

Thanks for the information regarding the rain gutters, I'll check it out tomorrow. As far as my other question goes, it's not the garnish molding I am referring. What I was referring to is what would go in the space between the door glass (when rolled up) and the outside door panel. And same on the other side of the glass to garnish molding. Is it a plain w/strip with or without chrome edging, or maybe a cat whisker?  Hope this explains it better. These are the piece I would like to purchase separately, not in a set, as I have all the other door w/strips.

Thanke, Jakes

Jakes, i think originally there were a couple rubber rollers on each side of the glass(no sweeps), the cat whisker sweeps is what most install. If you`ve never read  "1937 Buick Model 48: Restoration Has Begun" by Gary W   It would be a perfect read for you, it`s detailed step by step of his complete restoration, everything from start to finish. Gary`s posting is in the Buick Pre-War-Technical section, right now is at the top of page 7. "Restoration Specialties and Supply" has the sweeps and window channeling you can buy by the footage.  Tom

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jakes;

DSC_1872.thumb.jpg.c1e4b71dceb1f48a9857cd4f49942d25.jpg.67e4432cfadb297930b57fc8d253c92b.jpg

The drip shield  is installed from the inside with the garnish molding removed.

DSC_1882.thumb.jpg.03c5980ffeee6e77b9c7171a927f2b87.jpg.25e4d9a952f43a3eb1a60a810770860e.jpg

Here is the page of the door being built:

Just touch the little arrow in the upper right side.

The original design on the window gap is simply a couple rubber bumpers.  I got them from Steele and all they do is stop any rattling.

I do have the felt channels that I am going to carefully bend to shape and most likely just use an automotive epoxy to install.  

But for now, I just have the rubber bumpers like original.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your reply and the 1937 restoration process by Gary W. I certainly will use this as a guide to my restoration. I know now why I do not see these rain gutters in images on line. Think I'll leave them off.

Thanks again for all of your help, Jakes

John, Jacques,

I would urge you to install those parts. They are original and in the event you are ever caught in the rain, you will wish you had them installed as they were originally. If you look a little closer at the top of the vent windows in those photos online, I think you will see they are there on most if not all of them. I would also suggest you may wish to consider joining the 36-38 Buick Club. You can find out more about the club at this link: http://www.3638buickclub.org/