Jeff Perkins / Mn

Do you have a YOM license plate on your car ?

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Walt, would the "M" and the 4 numbers be for Manufacturer verses a dealer ? 

It was used for both in 1915.

9 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

CT doesn't want them retouched either.     

I can still recall being quite surprised when the lady at DMV counter grabbed them in her hands, took a look, said "Looks fine to me" and assigned them for the car...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MetroPetro said:

Steve, that IS a 1930 CT passenger car plate. Maybe the DMV did not allow it because in 1958, CT reissued that number as a commercial plate.

Metro, that is interesting to say the least.  I will revisit..

Most unusual plates I have a very lthin gauge immediate postwar issued 6 mos only.  They are like new, out of an estate cleanout.  We suspect they may have never seen use.  CT resumed the thicker gauge within months.

Cool thread, and not to hijack it, but want to sound a warning to fellow AACA members. There are TONS of fake license plates being peddled out there, especially on fleapay. Assume any porcelain plate is fake, unless you know how to spot the fraudulent ones. Buy only from reputable sellers who guarantee the plate(s) and or make sure you examine lots of photographs of the plate(s) before buying. Sellers who have gotten taken also are reselling them with BS stories attached. Unscrupulous sellers are pushing their worthless junk out of Tennessee but it is ending up everywhere. Be especially careful with city tags and motorcycle tags. Oh, and the attachments for license plates are faked heavily too. The snakes artificially age them, chip them, etc. Fleapay does absolutely nothing to stop these crooks, so please do not get taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Metro, that is interesting to say the least.  I will revisit..

Most unusual plates I have a very lthin gauge immediate postwar issued 6 mos only.  They are like new, out of an estate cleanout.  We suspect they may have never seen use.  CT resumed the thicker gauge within months.

I think CT commercial plates in '30 used xx-xxxx (no prefix) but not a CT expert. I think the word commercial was added in early '30s.

• Like 1

Most interesting to see the 2020 small tag added to the top of the plate, I assume you fashioned a holder and added it to accommodate the current requirement to show the 2020 validation.  Neatly done! I like it.

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

Most interesting to see the 2020 small tag added to the top of the plate, I assume you fashioned a holder and added it to accommodate the current requirement to show the 2020 validation.  Neatly done! I like it.

If you are referring to the California registration sticker in 1935Packard’s photo, the tab for holding the modern month and year stickers is issued by the state when you setup the YOM registration. Mine came unpainted, so I painted it black prior to using it.

I think California’s YOM registration is different from anywhere else. You pay full registration and a “special plate fee” every year, so this is not a discounted limited use tag.  It is more like a modern “vanity plate” than anything else. You can drive a car with them anywhere any time just like a “normal” car. Your insurance company may set limits on use for your older car, but California does not for YOM.

California also has an antique plate that, I believe, cost less than regular registration and comes with driving restrictions but very few people seem to go for that: Most like the look of YOM plates and are willing to pay the extra money for them.

Edit: Adding a photo of my dirty car and license plate. California motor vehicle code requires a rear reflector regardless of vehicle age, since my tail lights don't have a reflector built in I hung one off the license plate mounting bracket.

IMG_0502.jpg

• Like 3

I've been selling old car brochures, old shop manuals, old owners manuals and old license plates on eBay since 2002 and have over 31,000 transactions so far with people in about 30 different countries. I ran a "wanted" ad in Hemmings for years looking to buy large collections of these items. One day a few years ago I got a call from a guy in Pittsburgh who said that he had been hired to clean out the garage of an old house. I told him that I would be there the next day and I was. Inside the garage were dozens of boxes of old items including a box full of old license plates which included PA plates from 1906 through 1958 with only 3 or 4 missing plus 4 old porcelain plates including one from Maine that didn't even have a year on it. I sold them in individual auctions on eBay and quite a few went for over $100 each. Also in that garage were two 1941 Buicks-a limo and a 4 door convertible-which looked to be in very good condition but very dusty from decades of sitting. All of these items were owned by the former founder (from what I was told) of the Buick Car Club of America (not to be confused with the BCA) but whose name I can't remember. I also brought home dozens of shop manuals which were still packaged in individual cardboard mailing boxes, hundreds of brochures, and a hell of a lot more. It was a great deal for the $1,500 I paid for a pickup truck load of stuff that I sold for thousands.... :)

ABBACABA-792F-49CE-85E1-E2E7C0AB8057_1_105_c.jpeg

B350BF9E-C246-4AAB-B42D-C6BEF0D2C171_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2

Ply33 - thank you for the information, did not know that at all. Here in NY you get clearance via mail by the state DMV with the photo you have to submit of the YOM plates you want for your car. Then each year renew the annual fee that is now up to $53.75 . they send a sticker for your windshield that you have to stick on next to the annual inspection you have to get by a service station licensed to do so ( the inspection is a safety inspection - wipes work, tail lights work, ) If you register the car with regular plates I believe they base the fee on how heavy the car is!  That is ok, but the larger sticker on the windshield next to the inspection sticker does detract from the period look of the car . There are NY state issued Historical plates as well which I had in the past but went in favor of the YOM plates. With the Historical plates when they first came out there was a big rush by car collectors to see who could get a low number - a big status thing , especially here on long island. Some people live for the "status" recognition, guess they feel it makes them more important - they seem to be the same people who also need to see their car win a trophy every time they take it to a show so they can sit back and brag " my car - 62" I used to say no it isn't a 1962 it is a 1947 , then they would be a bit disturbed and frown and say " no 62 trophies , or 62 awards" I usually kept quiet but then started to remark " so do you ever drive it too for enjoyment or just on and off the trailer"  That didn't make me to popular and several people didn't want to talk to me after that. 😛

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

That looks new!

Bought the set restored two years ago when I moved to California. The guy has a website, and when I saw the address I realized he was about 10 minutes from me. So I drove my Packard over to get the plates. He had an awesome vintage sign collection, too.

15 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Ply33 - thank you for the information, did not know that at all. Here in NY you get clearance via mail by the state DMV with the photo you have to submit of the YOM plates you want for your car. Then each year renew the annual fee that is now up to $53.75 . they send a sticker for your windshield that you have to stick on next to the annual inspection you have to get by a service station licensed to do so ( the inspection is a safety inspection - wipes work, tail lights work, ) If you register the car with regular plates I believe they base the fee on how heavy the car is!  That is ok, but the larger sticker on the windshield next to the inspection sticker does detract from the period look of the car . There are NY state issued Historical plates as well which I had in the past but went in favor of the YOM plates. With the Historical plates when they first came out there was a big rush by car collectors to see who could get a low number - a big status thing , especially here on long island. Some people live for the "status" recognition, guess they feel it makes them more important - they seem to be the same people who also need to see their car win a trophy every time they take it to a show so they can sit back and brag " my car - 62" I used to say no it isn't a 1962 it is a 1947 , then they would be a bit disturbed and frown and say " no 62 trophies , or 62 awards" I usually kept quiet but then started to remark " so do you ever drive it too for enjoyment or just on and off the trailer"  That didn't make me to popular and several people didn't want to talk to me after that. 😛

only 28.75 if dont live the nyc area.

Posted (edited)

Here’s my Roadsters tag holder in place. Second photo shows it “flipped” down for the occasion I wish to make her appear even less “modernized”. Only takes couple of seconds to “flip” it either way. 

F5239F1F-0ED7-433C-8BF7-27A5D845D022.jpeg

D1EA2BAF-081A-4C1A-B142-1CF730BE11E3.jpeg

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

In Florida the small print under the year on the sticker has the license plate number of the tag it is for. Any other state do that ?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, stakeside said:

Here is early Calif. commercial plate.

854A8C35-0C6E-4611-9BC1-017240305B43.thumb.jpeg.f56920f10c9da22db4ef9cf707aa327e.jpeg

I believe that one a 'Exempt'' plate for doctors, etc., which allows them to park in certain areas, including loading zones, or city parking lots without having to pay the usual fee. Below is a 1928 'Commercial' plate.

10aths060.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, padgett said:

In Florida the small print under the year on the sticker has the license plate number of the tag it is for. Any other state do that?

Yes, Georgia does this.

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I just finished a set a couple nights ago - will shoot a photo with them in the  period adjustable chrome frames and when mounted on car.

White and Navy Blue

Image may contain: shoes

Those plates turned out real nice!  And they appear to be 'Exempt' plates for doctors, etc., who can park in loading zones or exempt from having to pay for parking in city-owned lots.  

I was fortunate enough to locate a pair of these Public Service plates, as what would be seen on a Bell Telephones truck in the day.

Craig

61_AB_PS_YOM_Plates.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

Dave, great Buick!

That is not a 1915 NY dealer plate though. A 1915 NY dealer tag would have NY over 1915 on left followed by Dealer over Mxxxx (4 digit number).

OK. then them that told me that stand to be corrected. Now how should we correct them? Firing Squad? Hanging? Beat with a wet noodle??? Dandy Dave! 

In Nova Scotia historic plates are not acceptible for registering so you get a new "Antique Vehicle" Plate. But you are allowed to also display a vintage plate. So I made a couple of stainless steel clips to hook the new one over the trunk, and remove it when displaying the car. I am permitted to display a vintage plate only on front. Regulation changes are in the works to allow only vintage plates, expect them to be approved by about 2050!

IMG_2946B.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, padgett said:

In Florida the small print under the year on the sticker has the license plate number of the tag it is for. Any other state do that ?

Kentucky does it that way, too....

looks like this was the last year that was registered..! it was on the car.  when we found it,,

20181021_161425.jpg

• Like 1

Georgia was the first state to use reflective paint on their 1941 plates.  They stopped for the 42 reportedly because of the expense.  This plate was on my 41 pickup and is correct weight code.  I kept the plate when I sold the truck, it's just too good lookin'.

1025622570_newtagCP.JPG.2454c3ffb009c4a31fcaa8866ebab90b.JPG

• Like 1

This is what was on the car when I imported it, but I don't believe them to be original to the car

We don't have YOM plates in Australia, Victoria instead uses symbols on its plates to signify its class - My current plates have a diamond on them, and pre 1919 cars get stars 

20170125_000111421_iOS.jpg

• Like 2