Do you have a YOM license plate on your car ?

A cautionary note that I've mention before. If you find a set of plates on Ebay, that seem to be too good to be true, they probably are too good to be true. Several years ago when I was looking for a set of plates for one of my cars I found a set of restored or re-pops. The number sequence was either ABC123 or XYZ123. Was this for real? Skeptical I checked with the Washington state DMV and found out that there were already two cars licensed in the state using the same plate sequence! If someone had bought these intending to use them on a car, they would have obviously been disappointed. 

So I get what was happening, and why there was already one set in use? The lady at the DMV couldn't answer the question as to why there were two cars licensed with the same plates. I decided to dig a little deeper. I think I may have answered the conundrum, at least to my satisfaction. It seems like for several years the state had issued plates with the state name abbreviated (WASH). At some point, some authority declared the use of an abbreviated state name was inappropriate. The state was required to issue new plates, the new plates being identical except with WASHINGTON no longer abbreviated. I'm sure that nobody gave a second thought to the problem of licensing an antique car sixty years later. So what was right for several years was not appropriate the other years and vise versa.  I wounder if either one of the owners of those two cars is aware of the other one? I certainly wouldn't want to be an owner trying to explain, if I was pulled over by a cop!  Be careful!

Bill

• Like 1

I don't doubt you, but I doubt that is the explanation for the two cars. When the Wash/Washington thing happened, the sequence continued. The "Wash" plates werent replaced. There were no duplicates. A pre 63 plate (not used after 62) could have the same number as a post 62 plate though. That could get sticky when they all get to YOM.

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

A cautionary note that I've mention before. If you find a set of plates on Ebay, that seem to be too good to be true, they probably are too good to be true. Several years ago when I was looking for a set of plates for one of my cars I found a set of restored or re-pops. The number sequence was either ABC123 or XYZ123. Was this for real? Skeptical I checked with the Washington state DMV and found out that there were already two cars licensed in the state using the same plate sequence! If someone had bought these intending to use them on a car, they would have obviously been disappointed. 

So I get what was happening, and why there was already one set in use? The lady at the DMV couldn't answer the question as to why there were two cars licensed with the same plates. I decided to dig a little deeper. I think I may have answered the conundrum, at least to my satisfaction. It seems like for several years the state had issued plates with the state name abbreviated (WASH). At some point, some authority declared the use of an abbreviated state name was inappropriate. The state was required to issue new plates, the new plates being identical except with WASHINGTON no longer abbreviated. I'm sure that nobody gave a second thought to the problem of licensing an antique car sixty years later. So what was right for several years was not appropriate the other years and vise versa.  I wounder if either one of the owners of those two cars is aware of the other one? I certainly wouldn't want to be an owner trying to explain, if I was pulled over by a cop!  Be careful!

Not sure now, but Alberta used to sell non-issuable licence plates meant for collectors, all with the alpha-numeric 'SAM 000' (SAM for "sample") on them. 

I would not be surprised if some attempted to register a set as antique car plates.

Craig  

Not only the YOM, but it's home state too. Built in Detroit MI. Sure, yes it's illegal around here in BC Canada. But I do it anyway. 2 years so far. No harassment. 

I keep the proper font plate under the seat...."Sorry officer. I just came from a car show. I forgot to change it back. I'll do it right now if that's ok."

The proper 1953 BC Canada plate is very boring. Almost vulgar. This white on black gets attention. Funny though people assume I am from MI.  They don't make the connection. I explain it and then they like it.

IMG_5841.PNG

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Love the YOM plates, nothing else looks just as 'right' with a vintage car.  Here is the one on my 34 Plymouth sedan.  The two 'tabs' for the month/year on the registration tags used to be provided by the state, I painted them black because they look better than the plain brushed aluminum.  I have seen them for sale on line as well.

20200515_074456[1].jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I'm guessing US Military in Germany. What state allows you to run that as YOM?

BINGO!   In NC they allow YOM plates if you have the regular plate in the car.  So far so good.

3 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I'm guessing US Military in Germany. What state allows you to run that as YOM?

Anybody know what this plate is?  it's on our 1966 VW as my YOM plate, and is correct.1340400473_IMG_05881.thumb.JPG.442b58a396c97e43428f10e4decd6834.JPG

• Like 1